PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu considered for distrowatch hosting

im_ka
November 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM
distrowatch has moved to a new server and new os.

Luckily, we happen to be living in an era of plenty, at least in terms of great operating system software available to us at no cost. We shortlisted a few distributions with Ubuntu Linux as one of the strongest contenders, but it was the maturity of the FreeBSD project and its reputation for being an extremely reliable operating system that eventually won us over. DistroWatch.com is now served by Apache 2.0.50 (compiled with the worker.c module) with PHP 5.0.2, all running on top of FreeBSD 5.3.

full story (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=current)

ladislav decided to use freebsd, but imho it's a great thing that such a young project as ubuntu has been considered for hosting such an important website.

zenwhen
November 16th, 2004, 07:49 PM
That is indeed pretty awesome. They probably chose the right OS for the job in the end.

However, I can see how Ubuntu's ease of use and powerful package management tools could make it an attractive choice for just about any job.

TravisNewman
November 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Very cool! It's good to see new Ubuntu users, especially of this magnitude.

Magneto
November 17th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Very cool! It's good to see new Ubuntu users, especially of this magnitude.
Definitely a good sign.

HiddenWolf
November 17th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Oh man, this is sweet.

Ubuntu is going to come a long way yet. :-)

jdong
November 18th, 2004, 11:09 PM
This distro is making it to the top of the charts everywhere...

Even at Broadbandreports, a place with some of the most zealous Slack/Gentoo users, I'm starting to see a LOT more Ubuntu users, with almost all positive remarks.

Sensebend
November 18th, 2004, 11:13 PM
This distro is making it to the top of the charts everywhere...

Even at Broadbandreports, a place with some of the most zealous Slack/Gentoo users, I'm starting to see a LOT more Ubuntu users, with almost all positive remarks.
I wonder how many BBR/DSLR users we have here? How's it going jdong?

jdong
November 18th, 2004, 11:15 PM
it would be interesting to find out!

DSLR was getting a bit boring; over the past year, Linux questions have died down (except for the which-distribution-do-i-use questions), the Security forum has been filled with nothing but unwarranted paranoia and HijackThis logs. Microsoft Help has been quite boring too.

Thank god for Ubuntu Forums!

Not saying I'll stop visiting DSLR; I still check 1-2 times a day, and still do answer questions in All Things Unix... Just I need a bit more to do.