PDA

View Full Version : Please convince me to love GNOME

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I have always fallen in love with KDE, but I feel obliged to use GNOME because I cannot sync my Pocket PC with Kontact and I do not want to use Evolution on Kubuntu. It just does not fit most especially the look and feel. I still prefer to use GNOME than Evolution on KDE.

I tried many other distros, but I kept on going back to (K)Ubuntu for some reason.

Now, I am on Ubuntu. It's just that, I feel that KDE is much better because I love Kicker better than GNOME's panels simply because of the arrangement of the virtual desktops on the desktop switcher; I prefer KDE apps over GNOME apps; KDE looks so much better primarily because of Everaldo's Icon themes; and I love how KDE lets the user customize a lot of things.

Now, I want to settle with Ubuntu (by that, I mean the GNOME DE). I want to stop disto hopping and trying to make things work. It's just that, I am not satisfied with GNOME.

Please give me all the reasons why I should love GNOME.

Tomosaur
August 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Just use what you prefer - that's the whole point of choice.

Gnome can be configured to look pretty much however you like it - try http://www.gnome-look.org

You can scrap the panels altogether if you wish and use something like AWN, but then you'll also need to configure AWN to work the way you want it to.

Can't you just find an alternative email program anyway? I don't see why you'd have to give up Kubuntu if you really don't want t.

lisati
August 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
You are free to make informed choices. Go for it!

vexorian
August 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I did not really find any of them to be much more customizable than the other.

I think workspaces are the same in both? I really can't think of any way they are different.

So it would be good specially to shoot regarding what you want to do on gnome that you can't in KDE customizing-wise and then we'll try fixing it.

koenn
August 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
From your post it's obvious you're already in love with KDE so why would I go throught the trouble of trying to convince you otherwise ?

It's all just going to lead to a lot of KDE vs Gnome humbug, no thanks.

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I do not feel like running Evolution on KDE because for some reason, it destroys the ambiance... I can't really explain. It just pisses me.

starcraft.man
August 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM

No. That's not our job. You use what your comfortable with, that's it. If you can't find anything you like about GNOME then try another DE or find an alternate app for KDE, that seems to be your options.

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Why cant you sync contact? its much better than evolution at that kind of thing i find it hard to believe something that would work in evo does not work in kontact?

if you post your details maybe we can help you get kontact working correctly then you can simply stay with the rest of us in the paradise of kubuntu :guitar:

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
synce-kde does not work in Feisty

See mine and ffloetti's posts here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331168&highlight=synce-kde+wersdaluv&page=6

be4truth
August 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
You could fall in love with KDE but marry Gnome. That gives you the best of both. Just make sure they never meet!

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
You could fall in love with KDE but marry Gnome. That gives you the best of both. Just make sure they never meet!

That did not give me much input but it sure is funny!

:lolflag:

igknighted
August 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have always fallen in love with KDE, but I feel obliged to use GNOME because I cannot sync my Pocket PC with Kontact and I do not want to use Evolution on Kubuntu. It just does not fit most especially the look and feel. I still prefer to use GNOME than Evolution on KDE.

I tried many other distros, but I kept on going back to (K)Ubuntu for some reason.

Now, I am on Ubuntu. It's just that, I feel that KDE is much better because I love Kicker better than GNOME's panels simply because of the arrangement of the virtual desktops on the desktop switcher; I prefer KDE apps over GNOME apps; KDE looks so much better primarily because of Everaldo's Icon themes; and I love how KDE lets the user customize a lot of things.

Now, I want to settle with Ubuntu (by that, I mean the GNOME DE). I want to stop disto hopping and trying to make things work. It's just that, I am not satisfied with GNOME.

I'm with you on the whole KDE/Gnome thing... I would try kpilot or whatever that app is. I'm sure that it can be made to work somehow, if you are willing to put the time in to figure it out. Also, KDE4 is on its way soon... you might want to put up with evolution until it comes out, perhaps the new sync app will work for you.

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm with you on the whole KDE/Gnome thing... I would try kpilot or whatever that app is. I'm sure that it can be made to work somehow, if you are willing to put the time in to figure it out. Also, KDE4 is on its way soon... you might want to put up with evolution until it comes out, perhaps the new sync app will work for you.

I have been trying to make my Pocket PC sync with Kontact, but it seems that it will take a bug fix for synce-kde to work with Feisty. I hope too that the new syncing app works for me.

AlexenderReez
August 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
i start using linux and prefer kde in fedora....but when i start ubuntu(which is gnome),i feel it is simpler than kde...i tried few times to turn back to kde..but i don't why i stick with gnome....i have kubuntu desktop....but i always use gnome for almost the time:)

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
synce-kde does not work in Feisty

See mine and ffloetti's posts here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331168&highlight=synce-kde+wersdaluv&page=6

if its a feisty issue cant you just go back to edgy?

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
if its a feisty issue cant you just go back to edgy?

Damn. You have a good point there. :D

Actually, I thought of switching to edgy but I felt that I would be using an inferior OS if I used Edgy considering that Feisty is out. I thought of sticking with GNOME since Ubuntu Feisty is the "best" in the market. I have this illness of wanting to have the latest and greatest of everything.

kerry_s
August 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
skip them both, go for xfce4 and use both kde & gnome apps. :)

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Damn. You have a good point there. :D

Actually, I thought of switching to edgy but I felt that I would be using an inferior OS if I used Edgy considering that Feisty is out. I thought of sticking with GNOME since Ubuntu Feisty is the "best" in the market. I have this illness of wanting to have the latest and greatest of everything.

latest aint always greatest ;) you only have to look at vista to see that :lolflag:

in most cases latest should only be used if you NEED something in it, like a new feature or a fix, the LTS and LTS+1 versions are going to be more stable because they are more mature, they are in no way inferior :)

dca
August 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM

hmmm, I wish I posted that....

stmiller
August 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I use Evolution in Kubuntu (Feisty). It looks and works great for me. Have you tried adjusting font settings for GTK apps?

jrusso2
August 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I have tried using Gnome in Ubuntu but I just can't get used to it and I miss many of the KDE way of doing things.

Good thing your able to run KDE on Ubuntu, as I find it much better to add KDE to Ubuntu then to get Kubuntu