PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & Dell in UK, France and Germany !

mybunche
August 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

mybunche
August 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry, Ubuntu on Dell in UK, France and Germany that is.

steven8
August 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Available as of Weds. the 8th!! Very cool!! :guitar:

smoker
August 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
great news, hope they sell beyond expectations:)

Spr0k3t
August 7th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yup, it's posted. I wonder what the numbers are going to look like for Europe sales.

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-available-in-europe

Edit: Links don't work on that page... I wonder if someone is a day early on the post?

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
there is already threads about this.

PartisanEntity
August 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Very cool, might get my next laptop from Dell Germany.

www.dell.de/ubuntu displays a "we are sorry but this page..." is it working for anyone?

Old Pink
August 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-available-in-europe
Dell today unveiled two consumer PCs in Europe – the Inspiron 6400n and the Inspiron 530n – with the Ubuntu 7.04 Linux operating system factory installed. Available now in the United Kingdom, Germany and France, the systems are Dell’s first steps to meet the needs of the Linux enthusiast community outside of the United States.

Available from tomorrow. :D

Anyone got plans on ordering one? Can't wait to see the price differences. In the states it was only $50, wouldn't be surprised if ours were only £25 cheaper.

Even though a Inspiron 1501 is £379 here in the UK, and just $499 over there (£250) so their currency conversion math is a little distorted.

But then again, everything is like that. An 80GB iPod in America is £10 cheaper than a 30GB over here. I guess it's just the state of the dollar at the moment, but still, I'm not expecting good prices here, maybe I'll be suprised. :)

Spr0k3t
August 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Sorry, didn't see any when I used the search. the latest thread dated back to the 28th of June with just ramblings of why Dell didn't offer Europe systems.

Old Pink
August 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Wow, just realised there are two or three other threads like this, although the title search thing brought up nothing (all results were US Dell users)

Time for a mass merge?

Nicki
August 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
www.dell.de/ubuntu displays a "we are sorry but this page..." is it working for anyone?

available August 8th ;)

Nicki

PartisanEntity
August 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Merged the two threads about Dell offering Ubuntu in the UK, Germany and France

PartisanEntity
August 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
available August 8th ;)

Nicki

Hmm I thought they meant the ordering starts on August 8th but that the sites and info is up for viewing.

PartisanEntity
August 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Merged yet another thread :)

Spr0k3t
August 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks PartisanEntity! Was just about to ask. (merged)

darrenm
August 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well I'll be getting one. Been waiting for this to get one.

DoctorMO
August 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
About time! now I can point people to dell uk for ubuntu machines instead of telling them not to buy a computer at all.

ChrisNiemy
August 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Good news. Need a laptop soon. Let's see... :-)

ubuntu.com now says it in big letters. ;-) The European sites of ubuntu/dell are available around August 8th, by the way. They are not reachable yet.

jgrabham
August 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Dancing on my chair, because my Dad likes dells, and when the current family PC goes, I can probabaly persuade him to get an ubuntu dell!!

kripkenstein
August 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Nice, getting closer all the time... once they offer Ubuntu-loaded Dells in Israel, I'm buying one :)

starcraft.man
August 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM

And Canada got shafted... thanks Dell!

Anyway, not like I'm paying for any Dell... when I was recently looking around for parts to build a PC I dissected their high end gaming PC and was shocked at the mark ups on some parts. I'm building from now on.

Outrunner
August 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Guys, I think they missed Romania from that list! :(

DalekClock
August 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
It's great to see the UK finally getting the recognition they deserve, the pic of the PC even has a nice British touch(a map of the London Underground).

Old Pink
August 8th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I got this news to the top page of digg, hopefully opening some new eyes to Ubuntu. :)

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dell_Answers_Customer_Calls_for_Linux_in_Europe

maniacmusician
August 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I got this news to the top page of digg, hopefully opening some new eyes to Ubuntu. :)

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dell_Answers_Customer_Calls_for_Linux_in_Europe
well, yeah, I think a lot of people here like to build. I expect they'll be getting most of their revenue from notebook sales. I actually just bought a notebook from them recently.

frup
August 8th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I will buy a Dell they day Ubuntu+Dell comes to New Zealand. Hopefully this computer will last that long :(

Spr0k3t
August 8th, 2007, 05:01 AM
well, yeah, I think a lot of people here like to build. I expect they'll be getting most of their revenue from notebook sales. I actually just bought a notebook from them recently.

Stands to reason. I won't purchase an OEM system unless it's a laptop. You get greater control over the hardware and you can usually build a better system cheaper than what the OEMs try to offer. Laptops on the otherhand, not easy to build from the ground up for cheaper... even if you go with a bare-bones laptop.

lepz
August 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Great news, I will be after a new laptop either the end of the year or early next year.Let's hope the website is sorted by then so we can actually see them.

3rdalbum
August 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hopefully only a matter of time before they come to Australia! I've pre-asked for permission to use the company credit card to buy one, as I don't have a credit card :-)

jgrabham
August 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Because that site works

lepz
August 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Because that site works

It didn't work 4 hours ago and it doesn't work now (http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore/misc/uk/whoops.asp??vw=classic&s=ukbsd?&oc=N08645L&b=&prod=false&rmc=ONL)

Nicki
August 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think there is a problem with the direct links for the Dell Ubuntu PCs. I can reach the site at this way:

(Germany)
dell.de -> Notebooks -> Privatanwender -> links in der Ecke "Open-Source PCs"

(UK)
dell.co.uk -> Notebooks -> Home -> left in the Corner "Open-Source PCs"

(France)
dell.fr -> Pc portables -> Grand public -> left in the Corner "Open-Source PCs"

Nicki

Old Pink
August 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Right, they're here.

Basic Inspiron 6400, no added extras, simple system:
£329 on Ubuntu
£359 with Vista
£30 saving
Vista is £177 on Amazon

Dell, care to explain your math?

lepz
August 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm sure it's a typo and you mean maths?

newbie2
August 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM
shouldn't Canonical put more people on their support team ? :mrgreen:

Dell will provide basic support for the Ubuntu operating system, but more advanced support will come at a price from Ubuntu's commercial backer, Canonical.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288472,00.htm

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Well, it won't do much since the EU gov and companies are going with SuSE, not Ubuntu.

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Right, they're here.

Basic Inspiron 6400, no added extras, simple system:
£329 on Ubuntu
£359 with Vista
£30 saving
Vista is £177 on Amazon

Dell, care to explain your math?

You do realize that Dell isn't paying much for distibuting Vista? Dell is most probably paying a lot less than £30 per computer for Vista.

Lozz
August 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I was thrilled to see this though I'm not sure about Dell's decision to offer a link to their windows machines only seven lines into the page selling Ubuntu. It just seems a bit odd.

lepz
August 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Well, it won't do much since the EU gov and companies are going with SuSE, not Ubuntu.

And this has exactly what to do with a personal laptop or desktop?

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
And this has exactly what to do with a personal laptop or desktop?

Well, it's a lot cheaper to buy a computer through the company (the company saves a lot of taxes on such deals and helps the employee buy things without having to pay taxes for them) so i guess if you are out of work or work for a company that doesn't have any computers then it's going to matter.

If you're buying an extra for your kids, they won't want Ubuntu on it, they want Windows so they can play their games.

Dell should have gone with SuSE in Europe, like IBM and others have.

Stex
August 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
haha, UK Dell have now given up and put "Please call to order an Ubuntu Desktop system" in place of the browse desktop button. Notebooks work though :)
www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Oh well, I wont be needing a new computer for a while but when I do I'll go straight to them (or alternatives if there's more uptake by then).

librano
August 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Guys, I think they missed Romania from that list! :(

yeah we want Ubuntu in Romania too!!

scorpiox
August 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
:P Dont trust dell myself, go for a Lenovo and then put Ubuntu onto it :)

daverich
August 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I don't like the "dell recommends windows Vista Home Premium" at the top of the linux computer build section.

Not really cricket is it!

Kind regards

Dave Rich

MikeDev
August 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Looking at Dell's UK prices this morning, Vista Home Basic seems to be cheaper than Ubuntu for the same spec laptop (£398.99 v £405.37). Hopefully Dell will revise their prices soon.

Inspiron 6400n(N08645L)
£405.37
Includes VAT & Shipping

Components
N-Series-Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
No Ubuntu Support
1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
60GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
N-Series - Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive for N-Series
6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
No Floppy Drive

Inspiron 6400(N08645)
£398.99
Includes VAT & Shipping

Components
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic - English
1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
60GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
No Floppy Drive

bobbob94
August 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM
yeah, i tried to compare the desktop to a vista version yesterday, and although you can't spec an exact comparison it still seems like the ubuntu version is more expensive than the vista one. which is really taking the p for a free (as in beer) OS...