PDA

View Full Version : Just occasionally Propietory companies do something right - even micro$oft!

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
A couple of days ago Microsoft labs released a demo of their new Photosynth software on the web. Photosynth allows the aggregation of social picture networks (a la Flickr) into a completed image in addition to allowing a level of depth to image browsing previously unavailable.

Check out the very impressive video of the demo and a download link here (http://k-i-v.com/2007/08/07/photosynth-the-wow-microsoft-have-been-looking-for/)

Enjoy! :popcorn:

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Hate to sound like microsoft bashing

but they did not make this, someone else did, they simply brought out the company as they always do to kill competition and make it look like they are able to innovate, which they don't...

I was very sad when they got their grubby hands on this project since it looked very cool.

Innovation 0 MS Wallet 34236579845340590345

Lord Illidan
August 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Notice that firefox was in there? 2:47

Looks cool.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hate to sound like microsoft bashing

but they did not make this, someone else did, they simply brought out the company as they always do to kill competition and make it look like they are able to innovate, which they don't...

I was very sad when they got their grubby hands on this project since it looked very cool.

Innovation 0 MS Wallet 34236579845340590345

Yeah, I read that Microsoft took it over. but I forgot - I guess that means their plan worked.

Thread renamed to "freaking cool 3d photo thinger!"

Lord Illidan
August 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
The reconstruction of the Notre Dame cathedral is really really good...love this technology.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Notice that firefox was in there? 2:47

Looks cool.

Yeah I'm glad it works in Firefox.. I was very surprised to see that they werent using IE :O lol

Although I did have trouble installing the plugin for firefox last night and had to use IE :(

Everyone should have a go! I was playing with it for hours last night. It's so efficient and can handle gigabytes of info without slowing down as it only deals with the pixels being shown on your monitor at any one time.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
The reconstruction of the Notre Dame cathedral is really really good...love this technology.

Yeah.. breathtaking isn't it!

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I saw this quite a while back and it just really bugs me when you have a cool idea like this that gets raped by microsoft, it would be the eqivilent of bill gates going back in time and buying up google when it was still just a tiny startup, but they do it everyday to keep their monopoly. I think there should be a rule that companies can not buy up smaller companies until after 1-5 years or something to prevent this kind of 'fry fishing' that is destroying the tech markets ability to stay innovative.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I saw this quite a while back and it just really bugs me when you have a cool idea like this that gets raped by microsoft, it would be the eqivilent of bill gates going back in time and buying up google when it was still just a tiny startup, but they do it everyday to keep their monopoly. I think there should be a rule that companies can not buy up smaller companies until after 1-5 years or something to prevent this kind of 'fry fishing' that is destroying the tech markets ability to stay innovative.

I couldn't agree more.

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I couldn't agree more.

GREAT :D

Lets go lobby Parliament to make a law against this kind of activity, and meet back here in a week to see how we got on ;)

PS: may also need someone to let congress know what we want...

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM
GREAT :D

Lets go lobby Parliament to make a law against this kind of activity, and meet back here in a week to see how we got on ;)

PS: may also need someone to let congress know what we want...

Sounds like a plan! *gets to work*

Lord Illidan
August 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Even google gobbles up startups...what's the difference?

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah.. now google are worth billions the same patterns are emerging.. still prefer them to ms though lol.

Slychilde
August 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Microsoft's OS may be complete garbage, but that doesn't mean they all their software is. They have some good stuff out there; they have some quality employees who have quality ideas for the future, so it's a bit unfair to knock 'em just because Windows sucks. Whoever the guy is that runs the Studio 9 website is an example, as well as (was) Jim Gray, the man who was lost at Sea and never found, amongst others.

That app sounds really cool, but I don't do anything with photos, although it would be really neat if they did something like that with video.

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM

There isnt one, google is not exactly non-evil its self.

The problem comes in that the tech market, like all, is an ecosystem and ecosystems need balance, you cant have 5 tigers that eat every blade of grass that would be stupid, its better to have grass eaten by cattle, cattle by predators, predators by bigger predators etc sorry if I'm being confusing but what I mean is we should have balance between the biggest players and the smallest ones so that good ideas are encouraged and don't need to spend most their time defending their IP.

Lord Illidan
August 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
That app sounds really cool, but I don't do anything with photos, although it would be really neat if they did something like that with video.

That's what I thought at first, but it's clear that it's not just for sharing cute little photos of the beach. The Notre Dame is one clear example, and so is the ebook, or the news paper, for example.. very nice imho.

Steveway
August 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
If it was avaiable for Linux I would consider trying it.
In my opinion we would allready have a Linux-version if Microsoft didn't buy this!
But at the moment, were screwed.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM
If it was avaiable for Linux I would consider trying it.
In my opinion we would allready have a Linux-version if Microsoft didn't buy this!
But at the moment, were screwed.

It runs as a plugin for firefox... so it works in linux.. it's a shame its not open source though.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
It runs as a plugin for firefox... so it works in linux.. it's a shame its not open source though.

Okay I just checked the specs again.. says windows only.. grr.. I've only tried it on my windows laptop last night.. never tried it on my ubuntu box..

forrestcupp
August 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The creators of this software didn't have to sell to Microsoft. It was their choice to sell to Microsoft, and maybe not a bad choice. I think what probably happens is that a group comes up with awesome software but runs out of funding. So Microsoft comes and buys it, puts their name on it, and pays the original developer to continue working on it.

Would you rather develop something and feed your kids bread and water just so your name could be on it, or would you rather develop something and be well off, but have another company's name on it?

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
The creators of this software didn't have to sell to Microsoft. It was their choice to sell to Microsoft, and maybe not a bad choice. I think what probably happens is that a group comes up with awesome software but runs out of funding. So Microsoft comes and buys it, puts their name on it, and pays the original developer to continue working on it.

Would you rather develop something and feed your kids bread and water just so your name could be on it, or would you rather develop something and be well off, but have another company's name on it?

I'm sorry I don't follow your argument, most of the companies including the one behind this software where taken over by microsoft buying out stocks not by willing sale.

There is nothing to stop bigger companies licensing good ideas from smaller companies but the number of hostile take overs is disgusting, only the very very big companies like youtube get the ability to sell their ideas most are taken by force.

I'd rather keep my company and make money from idea that either of the choices you proposed.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
The idea is phenominal, but privacy concerns come to mind.

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I like the little comment the guy makes about half way through about thinking that he'd never end up working with Microsoft. It's funny cos it sounds like a slight digg at them.

I really love this product though.. I hope its used to its potential and not just forgotten about!

kiv
August 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I like the little comment the guy makes about half way through about thinking that he'd never end up working with Microsoft. It's funny cos it sounds like a slight digg at them.

I really love this product though.. I hope its used to its potential and not just forgotten about!

wow you know your a geek when you spell "dig" ... "digg"

igknighted
August 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I hate to break it to you, but this is exactly what google does. They didn't make YouTube, Docs & Spreads or most of the stuff they have. They bought the company that owned the core and added "google flare". In fact, I read an article a little while ago about upstart web companies whose ONLY goal was to get bought by one of these big media giants. So say what you want about MS, but this is the way the web works these days, everyone is doing it.

curuxz
August 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I hate to break it to you, but this is exactly what google does. They didn't make YouTube, Docs & Spreads or most of the stuff they have. They bought the company that owned the core and added "google flare". In fact, I read an article a little while ago about upstart web companies whose ONLY goal was to get bought by one of these big media giants. So say what you want about MS, but this is the way the web works these days, everyone is doing it.

hate to sound harsh, but did you bother to read the rest of my posts? read this thread again and you will see i clearly said that google is just as bad :)

forrestcupp
August 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM
The idea is phenominal, but privacy concerns come to mind.

I wonder about copyright issues, too.

forrestcupp
August 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry I don't follow your argument, most of the companies including the one behind this software where taken over by microsoft buying out stocks not by willing sale.

There is nothing to stop bigger companies licensing good ideas from smaller companies but the number of hostile take overs is disgusting, only the very very big companies like youtube get the ability to sell their ideas most are taken by force.

I'd rather keep my company and make money from idea that either of the choices you proposed.

Not every development team or business is a public owned corporation that has stocks. Can you verify that that was the case in this situation?

If I were a small time developer, I'd rather have the backing of a multibillion dollar corporation any day than to try to wing it on my own.