PDA

View Full Version : Linux is gaining ground fast. Believe it?

lancest
August 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
In my area ASUS just started replacing Windows laptop stickers with: made for Red Flag Linux! Although Ubuntu is much better- from what I can see ASUS laptops no longer say (for Windows) here in China! Incredible. This is the first gradual (at least partial) step I believe. However they aren't installing Linux just yet. Vista is a flop and there is a strong open source undercurrent here that even the (sheep like) laptop sellers can't catch.

koshari
August 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
given 99.9% of computer hardware is made in china this is a good sign, predominantly in the field of releasing drivers for hardware.

so roll on the time when the packaging says, modem, sound and video available with GNu linux drivers.

PryGuy
August 7th, 2007, 11:53 AM
In my area ASUS just started replacing Windows laptop stickers with: made for Red Flag Linux! Although Ubuntu is much better- from what I can see ASUS laptops no longer say (for Windows) here in China! Incredible. This is the first gradual (at least partial) step I believe. However they aren't installing Linux just yet. Vista is a flop and there is a strong open source undercurrent here that even the (sheep like) laptop sellers can't catch.Yes! Go, China, go!!! =D>=D>=D>

vinodis
August 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
People still are crazy about Vista here in India. But the Teens, bloggers and training institutes - have embraced it well.