PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] whoa this is a bit strange on my NTFS D drive (stuff deleteted showing)

nowshining
August 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
well, I thought I lost some junk incl. when I used frostwire and had a disk crash on my ol' harddisk which is not the D drive and is not installed on this system, well I thought I lost a movie download avi and guess what I just noticed a Recycled folder on this drive and well it's quite odd, it has a lot of stuff I thought I deleted and I even done a full format on the hard drive before putting it back in (one that came with it - the old one I had a crash that it was on and the crash happened I had Frostwire write my downloads to it and it only..)...lolz windows NTFS does delete a lot of stuff, u know it's like it somehow automatically recovered those deleted files... anyway the movie was a trailor which was not what i wanted, anyway..this is again odd.. :/ yep over 1gb of junk here....

yes I have show hidden folders/files on permanently ..

edit: the ol' drive was my second harddrive and was/is old... :) but is in my junk computer right now...

n./m

nowshining
August 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
what is was in clearer words is that the Hardrive I lost the downloads to somehow moved itself to the harddrive I never downloaded the named files to, and I never did download to which means that NTFS somehow MAgically moves ones files all over the place and automatically onto another hardrive if a hardrive is taken out and formatted and again NEVER WAS THE DRIVE THAT THE ITEMS WERE EVER EVER DOWNLOADED TO.. AGAIN THIS IS STRANGE FOR AN NTFS FILESYSTEM.. I am afraid to think of what happens in Vista and what is secretly going on with one's data...

shavenlunatic
August 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
erm.. it couldn't be that the drive un-mounted in vista (for whatever reason) and when it had re-detected it the drive letters have changed? windows just picks up the next available letter in the alphabet

or... you aren't running raid by any chance are ya?

Turboaaa2001
August 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The first thing you have to ask yourself is "Do I trust my data to Windows at all?"

The next thing is that Microsoft is not trying to gather your data
(not all of it, just the personal stuff :lolflag: ) if thats what your wondering.

What I'm thinking is is that it's not an NTFS issue but Microsoft's new OS. Because Vista is all new code (I mean it's not the same code as other Windows OSs, they do copy Linunx) it will behave and store data in unpredictable ways that we will need to adjust to.

Thats my opinion anyway.