PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell people you use linux?

strabes
August 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Somehow in conversations computers come up and I end up telling people that I don't use windows. I unfailingly get very strange looks and it's not too "socially beneficial" especially for a college student like myself. My solution thusfar has been to try to avoid discussing computers with "common folk" as much as possible. However, it really bothers me when I know I have the solution on a CD and people are complaining about how their computer crashes/runs slow/has viruses, etc.

So, I was just wondering how other fellow linux users tell "common folk" about their operating system of choice. Do you also usually get weird looks?

Nobody has been "hostile" yet after a full year of using k/ubuntu full time. The most opposed people seem to be the apple drones. They have this aire of superiority and this idea in their heads that PCs are inherently bad because most of them switched from Windows and have never heard of linux. So, they can't believe that a PC could ever be equal or superior to a mac.

Another thing I was just thinking about: Why is it socially acceptable to be a hardcore apple fan and not be considered a geek, but if you even mention linux you're immediately a geek? I think it's because of the incorrect perception people have of linux and therefore as it grows more popular this perception will change.

~LoKe
August 7th, 2007, 06:43 AM
What, are we gonna have a "coming out" for Linux? :lolflag:

I can't really say it has come up in specific conversation, but people ask if I use MSN or AIM, and I said I use Pidgin/Gaim and they go "what's that?" then I end up telling them.

me1on
August 7th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I don't just randomly inform others that I use Linux, but I'll tell them if it comes up. For example, if somebody sees my computer and notices that the desktop environment looks different, I'll explain to them that I use Linux.

Frak
August 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM
They say, "Dude open this is Office", and then I say I have something better "OpenOffice", and then they accuse me of being a cheapskate for using OO and Linux, then I show them Compiz-Fusion.
Nuff said.

cameronol
August 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Same as Me1on my friends come over and see my desktop and say "hey where's the start menu?" and "what the heck is terminal?".
Then they get the big 'this is linux' speech and so many people go "What the hell is LINUX?", i'm sure we would all gasp in amazement and have the 'WHAT DID YOU SAY' look on our faces! :) :) :confused:

lucy_liu_lover
August 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I had a friend come over last week to use the internet as his connection was being transferred to his new home. He sat in front of my Ubuntu box and didn't even realise that he wasn't using Windows. Admittedly, he is not the most computer savy person .... still not the first time this has happened.

ZipoTe
August 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM
As somebodby said, i don't use to tell people what OS i use. It's when they complain about their computers when i start doing some propaganda :-P: no viruses, no reboots, cool stuff... you know, all this things :D. It really works, believe me!!

pofigster
August 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I usually bring it up - for no good reason. Just to brag about it. Nobody really cares, course, I then show them Beryl and the other awesome stuff I can do - and they're more interested.

Heck though, I've been talking up OOo forever. I convinced an American organization based in Russia to switch. That was awesome. Everybody thought I was cool. Or maybe that's just what I said to myself to keep from crying at night...

Yeah, that last sentence wasn't weird...

kulturloseramerikaner
August 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM
So, I was just wondering how other fellow linux users tell "common folk" about their operating system of choice. Do you also usually get weird looks?
I say it with pride and confidence. If they don't get it, that's their issue. If they ask questions, I'm more than happy to answer them.
And yes, they always seem a bit more receptive after seeing Beryl...
Or for that matter, me continuing happily along after upgrading.

PartisanEntity
August 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I am really having a hard time believing that people could get so emotional about someone else not using Windows. Or emotional enough to give them a weird look or make some derogatory remark.

dragonwings
August 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
for your average joe linux linux is good for bugger all because ya cant play games easy or use a web cam easy conflict problems etc
its a unfinished os ,a hobby os is what i would call it to someone who would have no idea or skill to use it

all in all im into linux im learning more every day so much so i now don,t use windows anymore

average joe , am i not anymore

popch
August 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I am really having a hard time believing that people could get so emotional about someone else not using Windows. Or emotional enough to give them a weird look or make some derogatory remark.

Just think how people would look if you used an analog watch with the hands turning counter-clockwise, showing 24 or 60 hours or - gasp - using a decimal time scheme where one day was 100 hours and one hour 100 seconds.

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
This is an interesting subject. I have never had a problem with telling someone I use linux. Like if they ask me what's a good anti-virus.
"Virus? What are these you speak of? I run linux."
Or some other way.
Including just coming right out in saying it.
Sometimes I even brag >_>

frup
August 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM
You guys actually have friends? O_O I don't :(

Nah... It's really not that much of an issue for me. If someone asks if I play soccer or rugby I will tell them I prefer cricket. If someone asks if I like Holdens or Fords, I explain I prefer motorbikes blaah blaah blaah...

Steveway
August 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
My friends know that I use Linux and they are cool with it.
Just yesterday I "rescued" my System from a not working CD-drive and a borked up install.
in pride and joy of what I did I told them what I did and they were like: "Cool that you managed to fix it but I don't know of anything you just told me."
Well, it sucks to be the only "geek". But I have you guys and gals.^^

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
My friends know that I use Linux and they are cool with it.
Just yesterday I "rescued" my System from a not working CD-drive and a borked up install.
in pride and joy of what I did I told them what I did and they were like: "Cool that you managed to fix it but I don't know of anything you just told me."
Well, it sucks to be the only "geek". But I have you guys and gals.^^

That is exactly how I feel T__T Wanna hang out? xP

era86
August 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Typical conversation:

Friend: What's that you're using?

Me: Linux.

Friend: ???

Me: You know Windows? Tiger OS?

Friend: Yeah!

Me: It's like that but better. (Spin the Beryl cube)

Friend: That's so cool!

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Typical conversation:

Friend: What's that you're using?

Me: Linux.

Friend: ???

Me: You know Windows? Tiger OS?

Friend: Yeah!

Me: It's like that but better. (Spin the Beryl cube)

Friend: That's so cool!

:lolflag:

deeptingler
August 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I was thinking of a post like this myself... now have 3 of my friends using Kubuntu and a fourth one decided to switch today so going over there to set it up for him.. All 4 of them have had probs with updates killing the OS in Windows and one of them bought a new machine in March this year and was telling me she was at the point of tears with frustration about having to wait almost 10 minutes for vista to set itself up and running before the inevitable crash. Her boyfriend uses an older laptop and he now swears by Linux and "loves its stability". She has watched her self have probs with the virus and spam thing and decided Vista had to go but has had Kubuntu for a week and loves it so far. My other mate was also sick of the constant tme needed to maintain his machine in windows rather than just plain using it. thats when he asked me to switch him over... more to come at this rate :)

jamienos
August 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Me: Uh.. i use linux
Freind: stfu windows xp ftw

Spr0k3t
August 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM
With the industry I'm in, many people ask me what I use at home. I go into a short "why I don't use MS at home" followed by Ubuntu for the desktop and Cent for the server. I've had many people try Ubuntu, and I've received a very warm response to it.

On the other hand, I don't actively go into why I choose one over another.

AZzKikR
August 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Friend: Yeah I need an new computer!
Me: So, what exactly do you DO on your computer?
Friend: just browsing a lot, mailing, nothing too serious
Me: Oh, maybe I can install Ubuntu for you then?
Friend: What is that?
Me: It is a different type of Operating System for your computer.
Friend: An Operating what?
Me: System. Something like Windows, but .. not. Better, more stable in my opinion, and virus free.
Friend: Cool, can you install it for me then?
Me: Sure, but there might be a learning curve, and it acts differently than Windows.
Friend: Like how?
Me: Well, you don't have a C drive, some applications which you previously used on Windows do not work on Ubuntu Linux.
Friend: I need Word 2003 for contracts though. Is that usable?
Me: Erm.. It may, but it may not. You'll need a sort of program to mimic Windows if you want to start Word 2003.
Friend: I think I'll stick to Windows actually, I can't be arsed to learn something new, and it seems too much of a hassle to get that Word 2003 working... I don't like that tech to be honest...
Me: But Ubuntu is free software, you don't have to pay for it, and I can help you in support!
Friend: Doesn't matter, I have a pirated copy of Windows XP anyway! It doesn't cost me anything! Thanks though.

That's where the siht hits the fan for me. It always happens to me like this. Most of my friends can't be bothered because application X doesn't work, or they just are not interested in another OS.

When it comes to the opposite sex, I leave out the subject of computers :)

Spr0k3t
August 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
When it comes to the opposite sex, I leave out the subject of computers :)

There's something to think about there. Don't you want to find a geeky lady? I mean seriously, LinuxChix rule and if i weren't married I'd be tempted to stalk a few of them. LinuxChix is a metaphor for "raw untapped power". You would be wise to learn this lesson my friend.

mrgnash
August 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty used to the strange looks that come up in conversation when I tell people about myself:

I use Linux :confused:

I am an atheist :confused:

I am a vegan :confused:

I study philosophy and psychoanalysis :confused:

I do not drive :confused:

etc. etc.

proalan
August 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
There's something to think about there. Don't you want to find a geeky lady? I mean seriously, LinuxChix rule and if i weren't married I'd be tempted to stalk a few of them. LinuxChix is a metaphor for "raw untapped power". You would be wise to learn this lesson my friend.

I googled 'linuxchix' and got this

http://www.linuxchix.org/

AZzKikR
August 7th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Yeah, a geeky lady would be perfect. When I am talking to my girlfriend about - for instance - the universe and all it's greatness, black holes and all the mysteries of the cosmos, I get frowned upon :P Not that it matters much though for me.

I am glad she uses a Mac though, and not Windows. I've started to learn her HTML and CSS, and she is pretty driven. Maybe someday I'll get her to use Linux :D

buzzmandt
August 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I wait for the big common questions:
what antivirus do i run? what spy ware progs do i run? etc....
I tell them i have no need to worry about viruses and such at this time as I don't run windows.,,...
What DO you run?
Linux, much better from the ground up.
Oh I couldn't do without windows.
What do you run that needs windows?
email, surf the web, listen to music.
That's it?
pretty much.
I do all that in linux but without the need for antivirus and spy ware progs.
WOW, can I see
Sure, this is web browser, email, amarok, and......this is Beryl, check this out
WOW, I want that...

that pretty well sums it up

AZzKikR
August 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty used to the strange looks that come up in conversation when I tell people about myself:

I use Linux :confused:

I am an atheist :confused:

I am a vegan :confused:

I study philosophy and psychoanalysis :confused:

I do not drive :confused:

etc. etc.

Mostly the strange looks is because of people who just don't know better. I don't throw up strange looks about Linux, Atheist, Vegan, Philosophy. The driving however .... :confused:;-)

vinodis
August 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
They can make out when they see OWA instead of the Outlook and when I am not available on the Microsoft Office Communicator.

mike102282
August 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM
They can make out when they see OWA instead of the Outlook and when I am not available on the Microsoft Office Communicator.

What is OWA?

stuh84
August 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
OWA = Outlook Web Access

dca
August 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Well, you don't make it sound like you've contracted genital herpes and are coming out about it. It should be more casual, when people indicate they need your help to eradicate malware from their Windows install, I always throw in that I don't suffer from those issues. Or if MS Office crashes the whole system, I just say OO doesn't crash my whole system, etc...

AZzKikR
August 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Outlook Web Access I guess.

EDIT: too late, disregard this post :P

panther_sn
August 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Well so far I converted my wife, that was an easy sell she was running win 95 on an old pii 366mhz with 64mb ram, really easy sell
I got my dad to use it when he was complaining how slow his computer was running and we discovered a whole heap of viruses, and he said Oh well time to upgrade to Vista (please dont ask me why he thought vista would help) and I said how would you like something better, that won't get viruses and is FREE$ thats when I sold it, My dad's cheap. and he's been using it since.
but everyone else I tell I get the
Oh but I couldnt use that it's only for programers
or
Oh but X program might not work, even when I tell them an alternative
oh well i've converted 2 I am happy, would love to convert more but can't use the Beryl have a look at this trick, Beryl won't run on my puter :cry:

strabes
August 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Well, you don't make it sound like you've contracted genital herpes and are coming out about it. It should be more casual, when people indicate they need your help to eradicate malware from their Windows install, I always throw in that I don't suffer from those issues. Or if MS Office crashes the whole system, I just say OO doesn't crash my whole system, etc...

I try not to make it sound like a bad thing. It usually comes up in casual conversation but it is inevitably awkward unless the person is decently interested, knows something about linux, and not female. Computers are obviously not an interesting conversation point for women.

I have had mild success with "evangelizing." The other two computers in my family's house run ubuntu (but not really because of their choice) and one of my friends now uses it full time except for some pretty intense video editing stuff that he's into. Another one of my friends wanted to switch but when we installed it on his laptop I realized he had a broadcom wireless card and I couldn't get it to work with the time we had so he had me remove it. That kind of upset me. Another one of my friends who is decently computer literate wants to switch but he had ripped all of his CDs in the m4a format and bought the rest with iTunes. The idea of having to pirate all of his music that he bought already for some reason bothers him.

In the end it seems the people that end up switching are either already pretty geeky or just fed up with microsoft.

I can't really say it has come up in specific conversation, but people ask if I use MSN or AIM, and I said I use Pidgin/Gaim and they go "what's that?" then I end up telling them

I have had several people switch to gaim or miniaim (a great windows aim client that I used before switching to linux) after talking about it with me. Usually I can't help myself if I see that they have the proprietary aim client on their computer.

handy
August 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
You don't!

Freddy
August 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I smoothly lean forward while filling my lungs with some fresh air, then I just scream as high as I can.....I USEEE LIIIIIIIINUXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!

Depressed Man
August 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Somehow in conversations computers come up and I end up telling people that I don't use windows. I unfailingly get very strange looks and it's not too "socially beneficial" especially for a college student like myself. My solution thusfar has been to try to avoid discussing computers with "common folk" as much as possible. However, it really bothers me when I know I have the solution on a CD and people are complaining about how their computer crashes/runs slow/has viruses, etc.

Nobody has been "hostile" yet after a full year of using k/ubuntu full time. The most opposed people seem to be the apple drones. They have this aire of superiority and this idea in their heads that PCs are inherently bad because most of them switched from Windows and have never heard of linux. So, they can't believe that a PC could ever be equal or superior to a mac.

Another thing I was just thinking about: Why is it socially acceptable to be a hardcore apple fan and not be considered a geek, but if you even mention linux you're immediately a geek? I think it's because of the incorrect perception people have of linux and therefore as it grows more popular this perception will change.

I think the only time I've ever been asked what OS I use was in my professor's human-computer interaction class (I work with the professor in his psychology lab studying the links between humans and computers). The class was about 50-50 guys and girls. Most of the girls in the class knew about Linux anyway (I'm guessing they were CS majors) and my friend who's a psychology major didn't seem to care that I knew about Linux or not. Though I'm not sure if she even knows what Linux is.

But the professor just asked us at the beginning of class last semester "Tell us about yourself, and what operating system you use". Most of it was Windows and OSX. Besides me there was one or two other people using Linux.

And as for why is it "ok" to be a hardcore Apple fan? It's because of the advertisement Apple has.

jgrabham
August 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Sometimes when my mates are around I get "wheres the start menu" but usually - wow your PC has a door (referring to my case) : D

My sister is the worst person she thinks only geeks use linux. (mind you my other sister thinks open office is a ripoff of MS office, and then when I showed her it, she said "Shouldnt it be called word, not writer" : [

toupeiro
August 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Pretty close to a verbatim conversation here:

Friend: What version of Windows do you use?

Me: X-Windows

Friend: I never heard of it, what is it?

Me: Well, its really stable, and you can do very cool things with it like tell programs to pop up on completely different computers across the world if you so choose.

Friend: Pretty cool, how much does it cost?

Me: Oh it's free, it comes with this operating system called ubuntu.

Friend: I thought the Operating System was called X-Windows?

Me: Oh, no. Sorry to have confused you, but I didn't think you were talking about Operating Systems when you mentioned Windows.

Friend: I don't get it, what do you mean?

Me: Its easier to show you sometime, but you will understand when I am done, trust me.

LaRoza
August 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
People approach me with computer problems often, and I first ask what OS they use. When they say Windows (or some variation), I look disappointed with and say "oh, I feel sorry for you".

If they ask what I use, I tell them.

I have had only one instance of "anti - linux", but that was from a wannabe who didn't want to learn, and was content to pretend to be "good with computers", because he could navigate the Windows GUI.

popch
August 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't, usually. Why should I tell people what OS I use?

That fact is intesting at most to myself, and I know it already.

LaRoza
August 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM

If you thought they would benifit, would you tell?

What OS do you use?

strabes
August 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM

That's why I generally try to avoid the topic: because most people couldn't care less and therefore give you a weird look when it gets brought up!!

Depressed Man
August 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Maybe when someone asks you? I know it's a strange question to get (I didn't expect to get it myself). Though then again I should've probably expected that he'd start class that way lol.

Siamang
August 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Maybe the weird looks are from people picking up on your 'I'm talking to the common folk' attitude. It seems like way too many people want to be into Linux for an easy way of feeling special/superior, and channel more energy into collective backpatting instead of actually *doing something creative with it*.

FrankBlourtango
August 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
There is no point in telling common folk anything. What I don't get is when people get all over the top about a given OS. Like when you are into Linux so you say that Windows sucks. Or... you use a Mac so of course everyone is beneath you.

I use all three. They're OS's, not religeons! Lighten up! Get a life! Have a Corona!

strabes
August 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Maybe the weird looks are from people picking up on your 'I'm talking to the common folk' attitude. It seems like way too many people want to be into Linux for an easy way of feeling special/superior, and channel more energy into collective backpatting instead of actually *doing something creative with it*.

I hadn't thought of that and I hope it isn't the case, but I'll take a step back next time and look at my attitude. I don't think that I act like FrankBlourtango wrote about.

popch
August 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM
If you thought they would benifit, would you tell?

What OS do you use?

If I thought someone would benefit, I would suggest to her or him to have a look at (brand X). In that case, I would obviously also mention that I have some experience using brand X.

I tend to be cautious with my recommendations, because I am far and wide the only person known to me using linux. If - say - my mother in law would change to Linux, I would have to support her for everything. Using 'another' brand, she has also the option of asking my son, one of her nephews or even the staff at the shop where she has her computer from.

At home, I use Ubuntu (Feisty), at Work Windows XP, in between Pocket PC and my cell phone runs god knows what else. Then, there are several servers, at work with something like Windows 2003, at home some small file servers/routers with embedded -ixes (one has some kind of BSD, the other some kind of linux, I think, but I have not bothered to check it) If you're all that interested, it is a synology device. Very nice if perhaps a bit on the slow side.

Majorix
August 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I don't usually talk with common folk upto a point where I would tell them what OS I use... So I don't have much problems :)

g2g591
August 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I brag a little. I try to convince them. For some reason my parents don't even notice I'm running kubuntu instead of windows when they pop in to check on me.

Seq
August 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I'm part of the IT department at a factory. I get lots of people from both the offices and the floor pop in with their computer problems.

If it comes up ("How do you avoid viruses at home") I answer honestly ("I use Linux"). It has a side benifit of giving me easy escapes from after-hours support (after all, all IT people are scrounging for cash, so we would gladly spend an evening figuring out your strange startup .vxd error for $20).

Aside from generic things like "use AVG" and "call HP", I usually say "we don't work too hard on issues like that here. If we have a problem, we just reimage the machine rather than debug it. HP will probably tell you the same thing. That is why I don't use Windows at home, and I probably won't be able to help you". I usually offer to help back-up data, though.

As a side-note, avoiding helping people with home issues has had an interesting side-effect. I've had more than a few people come in asking about how to keep copies on both a new USB drive and their computer to protect from either failing -- they picked up on this themselves). I've also given out several Edgy and Feisty cds over the last year. I should follow-up to see if anybody kept using them.

raul_
August 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
"I use Linux"

:)

ericesque
August 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
here's the play by play

http://xkcd.com/272/

screaminj3sus
August 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Like this

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4439/screenshotxv0.th.png (http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotxv0.png)

lepz
August 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Normally I just say.....I use Linux :p

kulturloseramerikaner
August 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Like this

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4439/screenshotxv0.th.png (http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotxv0.png)

That'll work.
Then spin that cube, spread it out, and watch their jaws drop.

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Usually something like
What OS do you use?
Linux.
Oh?:confused: with a strange look on their face that I cannot describe in words.

strabes
August 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Usually something like
What OS do you use?
Linux.
Oh?:confused: with a strange look on their face that I cannot describe in words.

That is generally exactly what happens after I say "I don't use windows."

frup
August 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
As a side-note, avoiding helping people with home issues has had an interesting side-effect. I've had more than a few people come in asking about how to keep copies on both a new USB drive and their computer to protect from either failing -- they picked up on this themselves). I've also given out several Edgy and Feisty cds over the last year. I should follow-up to see if anybody kept using them.

That's a good point. I stopped giving help to people using windows and suddenly many were far more interested in Linux...

I get old computers and clean them up a bit, install Ubuntu and give them to friends too. They promise to keep Ubuntu on it and give me the computer back if they decide to get a new one. I have 4 computers beside me which are broken or don't run Ubuntu waiting for more parts.

AlexenderReez
August 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
hm....i just say if you want to use most of genuine software for free that use linux....

steven8
August 8th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I just say it. I don't use windows at home, I run Linux. No biggie. More often than not I get the 'deer-caught-in-the-headlights' look, but that's okay.

Banished
August 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I named our dog Linux, he's a mastiff/boxer.

People hear me say his name all the time when I'm calling him, sometimes they think I'm saying "Lennox", but I correct them with "Linux...like the operating system".

Then they ask me why I named him Linux, so I tell them he's really stable and secure (he's a big dog), he's very easy to train (customizeable and follows commands)...he looks intimidating but once you get used to him you'll realize he's just a big lover.

I get funny looks too...

lepz
August 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I named our dog Linux, he's a mastiff/boxer.

People hear me say his name all the time when I'm calling him, sometimes they think I'm saying "Lennox", but I correct them with "Linux...like the operating system".

Then they ask me why I named him Linux, so I tell them he's really stable and secure (he's a big dog), he's very easy to train (customizeable and follows commands)...he looks intimidating but once you get used to him you'll realize he's just a big lover.

I get funny looks too...

wow what a great idea, imagine about 50 Linux users all in the park with there dogs shouting "Here Linux ...Come on Boy" The message would soon be spread. :lolflag:

argie
August 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I always thought those Compiz fans were nuts. But really, spinning the cube gets a "Woah! Nice!" which is always a neat way of getting attention to the OS. "Is that Vista?", "Nope. It's Linux. This computer won't run Vista with the special effects"

wolfen69
August 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM
i say i use linux.

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Well it is not something you are supposed to say like

"Huh nice party! BTW I use Linux!"

I guess it is something that could come up in some technology conversations, dunno how to make any of those soccially benefical...

You may just know that everyone is free to choose and that you know your DE looks better than Mac OS/X :)

strabes
August 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Well it is not something you are supposed to say like

"Huh nice party! BTW I use Linux!"

I guess it is something that could come up in some technology conversations, dunno how to make any of those soccially benefical...

You may just know that everyone is free to choose and that you know your DE looks better than Mac OS/X :)

Haha, I'm not that socially awkward! I generally only mention it if someone asks me straight up.

I wish I could use beryl easily but I have a laptop ATI card which only supports fglrx. I'm really upset at ATI and am just waiting till they add composite support to their terrible drivers.

jgrabham
August 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
It usually goes something like this

"WUBU2?"
"Ripping DVDs to my harddrive"
"aw, rite, wot software u use"
"AcidRIP"
"kk"

2 mins later

"I cnt get it 2 run"
"It wont work on windows only Linux"
"KK, wot should i use in windows"
"DVD shrink"

Do like my impression of the people I IM, I dont know anyone who can type properly in IMs besides me)
(I like to anoy people, so I dont tell them that it wont work in windows :])

Frak
August 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
It usually goes something like this

"WUBU2?"
"Ripping DVDs to my harddrive"
"aw, rite, wot software u use"
"AcidRIP"
"kk"

2 mins later

"I cnt get it 2 run"
"It wont work on windows only Linux"
"KK, wot should i use in windows"
"DVD shrink"

Do like my impression of the people I IM, I dont know anyone who can type properly in IMs besides me)
(I like to anoy people, so I dont tell them that it wont work in windows :])
Haha, I know people that talk like that, I work at a High School. :lolflag:

Bofur
August 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I find it kind of sad that when you show someone Linux they really only notice the Beryl/Compiz effects while completely skipping over what makes Linux, Linux - no spyware, virtually no viruses, stable, and secure. But I guess it's somewhat understandable, because in today's society, looks are everything.

hessiess
August 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I find it kind of sad that when you show someone Linux they really only notice the Beryl/Compiz effects while completely skipping over what makes Linux, Linux - no spyware, virtually no viruses, stable, and secure. But I guess it's somewhat understandable, because in today's society, looks are everything.

not to everyone, i pritymutch only care about funtunalaty, windows is to slow

lyceum
August 8th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I tell people I use Ubuntu and that Ubuntu uses Linux.

:popcorn:

jgrabham
August 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Haha, I know people that talk like that, I work at a High School. :lolflag:

Everyone I know talks like that - I am at high school :]

Frak
August 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Everyone I know talks like that - I am at high school :]
:lolflag:

dasunst3r
August 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I would be using my computer with my desktop effects turned on and someone would ask me whether I am using Vista. I told them the truth and they would be shocked for a little bit. If I have time to spare, I give them a 30-second talk about the benefits of Linux and show them a few more effects that Vista users could only dream of having.

eljoeb
August 9th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I don't. Duh. If they see me using it, I'll tell them its my hobby OS.

Skrypt
August 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I just show people the Compiz-Fusion video demos.

Hell, I got my girlfriend hooked and she's no geek.

After they're hooked, I throw in a few lines about the glory of hacker, virus, spyware resistance that windows could only dream to achieve.

strabes
August 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Everyone is mentioning beryl/compiz but I can't run it on my system because I have to use FGLRX and I don't want the hassle of running XGL. Gosh I hate ATI.

primski
August 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
My best one is when installing win on a machine, and nothing and i mean nothing works out of the box. not sound card, not lan card, not video card, u have to spend like 2 hours for installing freaking drivers.

damn i hate win, but what do u use? i use linux, where stuff just works...

then i pop in live cd, download their drivers, save them on c:\ and install to win, see how easy was that.

now, where should we get an antivirus? I dont know do'h, i dont use it :P

@trophy
August 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
If you're female, just try flashing whomever you're talking to every time you say the word "Linux." Eventually, they'll be conditioned to associate Linux with *****. And THAT will be the year of the Linux desktop...