PDA

View Full Version : The commandline and you! (another movie)

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Hey guys!

After my surprisingly successful rant/movie about the Linux community yesterday I thought I'd go ahead and provide a simple movie about some of the tools available in the CLI/Framebuffer environment.

Its a very basic and practical guide for the rest of us, and It has also prompted me to clean the grubby fingerprints from various friends of the monitor.

I hope you enjoy it, the quality gets better as it focuses automatically :).

As always, if you enjoyed it, or would like me to keep them coming (which in turn motivates me to start making them a little bit more, er, professional) let me know here, as did yesterdays comments, it motivates me *grins*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0kJB1PPtc

SunnyRabbiera
August 7th, 2007, 04:30 AM
would have been better if was a parody of one of those old informational films :P

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM
would have been better if was a parody of one of those old informational films :P

Haha I'll keep that in mind for the next installment *laughs*

Dimitriid
August 7th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Sepia colors with the film running 4....3.....2.... :lolflag:

But yea great video, you should do one that shows things like Links2 though.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Sepia colors with the film running 4....3.....2.... :lolflag:

But yea great video, you should do one that shows things like Links2 though.

You are right, I should have done a fair few more things so I'll just go ahead and make a part 2.

Thanks for your support :KS

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM
YOu make really good videos. I was actually following along just by sound there for a moment, and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the CLI until you said alt+F7 I was like WTF?!?
'Cause I've ran into that problem before. Then finally had to do alt+return.

Wiebelhaus
August 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM
thanks man.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 04:58 AM
YOu make really good videos. I was actually following along just by sound there for a moment, and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the CLI until you said alt+F7 I was like WTF?!?
'Cause I've ran into that problem before. Then finally had to do alt+return.

Haha awesome, thank you very much for the compliment.
:KS:KS

I know they fail pretty hard in the "professional" department in terms of jargon and quality, but the point is, well, the quality kind of reflects the targeted users (that sounded bad) what I mean is, I'm just some everyday joe with a crappy little camera with a record function who wants to help, and I guess in a way the fact that its not some studio and I'm not some well groomed I.T geek probably gives people the impression that they can do all of it as well, and they can, so it kind of works out well.

Gives me alot pf pleasure knowing I've helped people in such a small amount of time.

Yesterday I received over 20 emails about some of the content and It was a pleasure answering all of them, all of them people who want to empower their day to day life with Ubuntu and Linux.

Bravo to them.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 04:59 AM
thanks man.

You are very welcome :)

jyba
August 7th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Your video was shite. What was your main point?

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM

o.O To help you better understand the command line.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Well it seems to have helped others, I'm not sure what part of the point you've missed, but I'm also not entirely sure your going to care.

The above post says it better,.

Dimitriid
August 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I got mplayer working fairly quickly, I just needed 1 line on grub and 1 line on 40-permissions.rules but the rules one is arguably not necessary: sudo mplayer <filename> and I was done.

Links2 is also now working fairly well ( just need to sudo ap-get install gpm and that grub line for vga ) and again sudo links2 -g or if you dont want the annoyance changing the permissions file too.

tbroderick
August 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Well it seems to have helped others

I don't really see how that was helpful. Maybe you should have focused on one specific task like text editing, using apt, or some of the basic bash tools (rm, df, ls, cd, etc) and gone through the various commands and options. I mean, you mention cmus, but you didn't really explain any features or any reasons why someone would want to use cmus beyond just messing around with the CLI.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I got mplayer working fairly quickly, I just needed 1 line on grub and 1 line on 40-permissions.rules but the rules one is arguably not necessary: sudo mplayer <filename> and I was done.

Links2 is also now working fairly well ( just need to sudo ap-get install gpm and that grub line for vga ) and again sudo links2 -g or if you dont want the annoyance changing the permissions file too.

I use mplayer a fair bit in CLI, I'll show all that stuff in the next one.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I don't really see how that was helpful..

Well other have found it hepfull, you have not.
Just because you dont like it personaly does not really mean others feel the same way.

instead of giving me grief for failing to meet your expectations, why don't you show me how its done?

tbroderick
August 7th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Well other have found it hepfull, you have not.

Yes, it's called an opinion. I don't conform to what others say.

Just because you dont like it personaly does not really mean others feel the same way.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I gave some advise in what I thought would make your video more helpful. Cmus is a great music player. Maybe you could have spent some time on showing people some of the commands. How to setup a library, adding songs to the playlist, searching for songs/artist/albums. It might be a good way in getting people to try cmus and the CLI.

instead of giving me grief for failing to meet your expectations, why don't you show me how its done?

I'm not giving you grief. Why post to a forum if you don't want opinions from others. Not all your feedback is going to be 100% positive.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Yes, it's called an opinion. I don't conform to what others say.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I gave some advise in what I thought would make your video more helpful. Cmus is a great music player. Maybe you could have spent some time on showing people some of the commands. How to setup a library, adding songs to the playlist, searching for songs/artist/albums. It might be a good way in getting people to try cmus and the CLI.

I'm not giving you grief. Why post to a forum if you don't want opinions from others. Not all your feedback is going to be 100% positive.

Ok mate, we have established you want to question rather then help, I could sit here and be bothered quote segmenting your post but I'm here to help, not sit around and grovel/nitpick at other peoples work.

Moving right along.

distroman
August 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
People are going to bash/disagree with you if you put yourself on youtube lighten up :)
Anyway I liked it always looking for new toys.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Anyway I liked it always looking for new toys.

Thankyou very much :)

blithen
August 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I am waiting for the Cmus special :P
EDIT: Yeah! #1 on two pages 8D

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I am waiting for the Cmus special :P
EDIT: Yeah! #1 on two pages 8D

Haha awesome, In that case I'll start writing out what I'll include and start on it now :)

tbroderick
August 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Ok mate, we have established you want to question rather then help, I could sit here and be bothered quote segmenting your post but I'm here to help, not sit around and grovel/nitpick at other peoples work.

I offered a suggestion. Anyways, good luck with your videos.

smoker
August 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
good stuff, Blindraven, thanks, looking forward to more, cheers.

Blindraven
August 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
good stuff, Blindraven, thanks, looking forward to more, cheers.

Very welcome :)

I've now made a new thread located -= Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519521)=-
Which will take everyone along the journey as I plunge in the unknown *laughs*

I'm hoping the mods will merge this thread + the one last night with that one.