PDA

View Full Version : Wine Question

tommygunner
August 7th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I'm a little bit confused with Wine. I was initially under the impression that you can install Windows packages or Linux or be without a Windows machine.

However, it looks like for some applications you are supposed to copy directly from the Program Files directory and from other places on Windows?

I understand that you can install apps from Crossover Linux but I'm not sure about Wine. I thought they were about the same.

juxtaposed
August 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Anytime I used wine I just opened up the installer .exe in wine and installed it.

PrimoTurbo
August 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM
all you have to do with wine is run the .exe file in the terminal with

wine nameofprogram.exe

Granted that a lot of stuff might not work correctly.

steven8
August 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM
If you are used to windows, type winefile into the terminal, and this will open a windows-like file explorer. Browse to your exe and double click it.

urukrama
August 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
If you are used to windows, type winefile into the terminal, and this will open a windows-like file explorer.

Interesting. I didn't know this. Not that I will ever use it, though...

Erunno
August 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Better yet: Just associate the mimetype with wine and all you'll have to do in the future is just to fire up your file manager and click on the executable.

frup
August 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Better yet: Just associate the mimetype with wine and all you'll have to do in the future is just to fire up your file manager and click on the executable.

I thought wine installations did this automatically... They have in the past for me when I had it installed.