PDA

View Full Version : Looking for groups and or users in north AL

PuckStopper31
August 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I am a professional software developer (Java and C++) in Decatur / Huntsville, AL looking for other Ubuntu users and groups in the area.

Best Regards,

PS.

crane
August 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM
As Far as Ubuntu, the only group I know is this one (the LoCo)
As far as Linux User groups there is LUNA (Linux Users of North Alabama) (http://luna.huntsville.al.us/). From What I understand they have a pretty active mailing list,

PuckStopper31
August 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you Crane,

Much appreciated. I'll hunt them up.

PS

TRGarner
April 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
puckstopper,
your not alone in Alabama. Returning linux user with ubuntu here. I'm from the decatur area, hoping to find some others out here as well. :guitar:

crane
April 6th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Welcome back to the Linux side of things!

LT1Caprice57L
May 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Kinda late to the game - I'm over here in Florence. Not terribly far.

Redneo
July 17th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I didn't know the Ubuntu LoCos I was thinking the Lugs were the ones to goto for linux stuff. I'm in the Morgan county area

michaelramm
July 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Ubuntu LoCo are ubuntu specific. We welcome anyone from any distro family, but our focus is the spread of Ubuntu throughout Alabama.

LUGs are more generally linux users, of any distribution.

Hope that helps,
Michael

Redneo
July 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I was listening to Fresh Ubuntu and they were talking about the LoCo. Do you have any local meetings like if some of you live close to each other?

sgtslwilson
August 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Talladega here. I just switched over to Ubuntu. Windows is completely gone from my hdd.

So far pretty straight forward. Any problems I've had so far have been solved by just reading the forum here.

Anyway, this is fun. Brings me back to the old times of DOS.

If you guys ever want to get together let me know. I'm running the latest Ubuntu on my Acer 3690 laptop. Seems to run smooth with only 2gb ram and 1.6 Celeron. I'm impressed!

Lance

Redneo
August 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
they just don't meet that often

michaelramm
September 23rd, 2008, 04:55 AM
You can always check the map and see who is in your area, post a note here of a get together, jump into the IRC channel (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XChatHowto) on the Freenode network (#ubuntu-us-al) or use the Ubuntu-AL mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-al).

I am kicking around a Central Alabama (Tuscaloosa/Northport area) meeting around in my head. But I have to get through baseball season with my son first.

Michael

justjoshingyou
November 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm kinda late to the thread but... I live in Montgomery and I'm the only person I know that doesn't use Windows.

Ubungee
November 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
This is my initial jump into the LINUX decision. I use OSX. My mother was having serious problems with her XP. Read the data on UBUNTU and chose to let her have it. As someone stated earlier, having Ubuntu installed in her HP has made her month. Now, she is enjoying a faster, more efficient and easier OS to relearn. Now, if I can only remember how to put a Java .bin where it belongs. LOL It's been quite a few years since I ran with code. Yes, it would be nice to meet up with others around Birmingham and beyond to learn more about it.

Dave / Springville AL

cpatrick08
May 3rd, 2011, 02:55 AM
i am from Huntsville Alabama

Brad55
August 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
i am from Huntsville Alabama

Well cpatrick08 I'm in Harvest, Al so we are close.

loadedmind
August 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I live in New Market and work in Huntsville. I've been considering starting up a new Linux Users Group since it seems LUNA is all but gone. The proposed meetup location would be where I work (Traveller) off of Leeman Ferry. Unfortunately, there isn't a huge amount of space. So, if there were more than, say, 30 folks, we'd have to find a larger meetup location.

I believe HMUG (Huntsville Mac Users Group) currently meets once a month Saturday mornings at the Huntsville Public Library. That might be a possibility as long as our date doesn't conflict with theirs, obviously.

I spoke with my colleague here at Traveller and he said we could host the Linux users group server at this facility. The upside to this is the massive natural gas generator. During the last huge tornado storm where everyone was without power, Traveller stayed up.

They also have the rack space, network/power redundancy with plenty of bandwidth. I don't believe the cost would be much, if any, but I'll have to discuss this further with the boss man to see how feasible this would be.

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to market this to get more people involved, please let me know. And if that entails discussion on a different forum or an in-person meetup, that's fine too. I'd really like to get the ball rolling on this.

So, for those interested, let's start off with a few points of discussion if you please:

* Best meetup time & frequency. Ex. Bi-weekly Saturdays @ 2pm
* Meeting Format. Ex. 1st 10 minutes mingle; next 15 minutes discuss Linux & Open Source news from anyone in attendance; next 30 minutes, discuss a HOWTO relevant to anything Unix/Linux. Ex. yum/dpkg/apt-get examples; etc etc.

Then, if this thing takes off, we can meet about what domain name to purchase and other stuff.

So, what say you?

Regards,
loadedmind

TVAbuntu
August 13th, 2011, 02:23 AM
So, what say you?

Excellent.

I look forward to following your lead.:D

(don't really have the time to commit to an organizational role)

One thing to consider, LUNA was more directed at the professional and server crowd, and was somewhat off-putting for some of us more home-user types. Being able to satisfy both would be ideal, but not necessarily easy.

loadedmind
August 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Ok, anyone else? Or would this be better served by mirroring this post in another forum such as linuxquestions?

Brad55
August 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
If anyone has any suggestions on how best to market this to get more people involved, please let me know. And if that entails discussion on a different forum or an in-person meetup, that's fine too. I'd really like to get the ball rolling on this.

Sounds good. I think it would take a little time for the word to get around, but once it got started it would grow.

retiree
August 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi
Hey Crane, just wanted to let you know I'm still around running Lynx LTS
and I'm also now running a Mac laptop and a wired client. I hardly ever turn off my main computer except during thunderstorms or leaving for a day or two. Ubuntu is the best OS out there as for as I'm concerned. I don't get on the forums much because I don't have any problems with my systems. Everything just works flawlessly for me. I'm still in Anniston. Ubuntu just runs my router great and I also connect using my "Smart Phone" I don't know of anyone in Anniston/Oxford area running Ubuntu.Thanks to everyone who keeps Ubuntu up and running!!!!

Retiree

ratcheer
November 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Hi. I'm in Pelham and I'm another retiree. I run 11.10 Oneiric now, and I go back to at least Jaunty with Ubuntu, maybe even Intrepid.

Drop me a line, sometime.

Tim

daslinkard
April 30th, 2012, 04:08 AM
It is time that we get the group back up and running in North AL...this LoCo has been dead for too long....

BoogeyOfTheMan
July 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
It is time that we get the group back up and running in North AL...this LoCo has been dead for too long....

Unfortunately I moved otherwise I'd be down.

jmfal
July 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi ALABAMA LOCO
jmfal
Athens AL

daslinkard
July 28th, 2012, 02:16 AM
JMFAL,

I'm in Athens too! Let's get something going.

TVAbuntu
July 29th, 2012, 01:21 AM
My experiment with Opensuse didn't last that long. Just like the .deb way of doing things.
On Kubuntu 12.04 now.