PDA

View Full Version : what a bummer!!!

skymera
August 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
not an ubuntu post, but wish to share my annoyance.

anyway, i got my new nVidia card through thepost today.

8800gts 640mb ;)

aywya, it was alot bigger than i thought and it fitted well.
BUT

most compuiters i believe have their mothe boards on the RIGHT.
mine however is on the LEFT.

the card usually sits upside down on a RIGHT motherboard.

but i have to have other way round and its catching on my HeatSink and my ethernet adaptor.
the buggar wont go in the slot itas a few mm out!!!

HOW ANNOYNIG!!!!

skymera
August 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
not one person shares my sympathy? XD lol :P

Ek0nomik
August 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
We are immoral beings, desensitized to the world. We just want to stare at an electromagnetic screen and type on your keyboards. Don't bother us.

:)

Sorry to hear about your card. If you want to send it to me, I'll take it off your hands. No charge. Seriously. I'll do it for free.

atomkarinca
August 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
i can share your 8800gts 640mb though :D

por100pre1
August 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It's sad skymera, weird too. Have you considered getting another box?

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Uh ya... didn't you see the hundreds of sites that noted the monstrous size of the 8800 series cards? I mean heck that one isn't even the biggest. The ultra is a whopping 275 mm (it practically extends the length of any board, hope I got the number right).

Why should we be sympathetic though? When buying parts for manual upgrades the onus is on you the buyer to ensure it all works and fits before spending the money... just like the old adage "buyer beware". Maybe you ought to look at a board upgrade too if it fits so poorly. One of the new Abit or Gigabyte p35 (the Abit IP35 PRO at 200 in Canada is a decent buy for instance) boards should work fine with the length, they have good placement and give clearance for those long cards.

Anyway, unfortunate that it happened to you. In future pay careful attention to lengths and measurements... reading sites like AnandTech and TechReport (google em) can give you good ideas of what's needed before spending.

skymera
August 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
err yes i did know the dimensions.
it DOES fit in my case!

but people said it fitted upside down, great, it would fit.

but Dell, being American stuck my motherboard the other side meaning it dosent go upside down, i filip it and it dosent line up to the pcie slot and it catches on my heat sink.

i did read all info, but obviously never noted the backward motherboard.

jd65pl
August 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
BTX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_%28form_factor%29) is supposed to be a new form factor, dell are already shipping cases ready for the BTX motherboards which will go the other way round to ATX. Search for dell BTX or something like that.

skymera
August 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
im after an extension cable, so i can whack the card in the pci slots, and connect to pcie via cable. easy

but the hard part is finding it!

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
BTX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_%28form_factor%29) is supposed to be a new form factor, dell are already shipping cases ready for the BTX motherboards which will go the other way round to ATX. Search for dell BTX or something like that.

Just when exactly are these BTX boards supposed to take off (I didn't see more than a handful in my recent look around for hardware for a new rig)? They've been around for a few years now and I don't see that many around apart from a few OEMs... did the power cuts the C2Ds brought make them irrelevant? After all their primary purpose was thermal reductions.

Also, on the Wikipedia article you linked to it says Intel has cut all future development for the form factor since 2006. Does that not further verify that maybe it's dead in the water?

Anyone got insight on this?

skymera
August 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
heh
thanks for the suggestion.
but i am only 15.
thetres a limited amount of cash i can produce lol