PDA

View Full Version : Xturtle on Ubuntu

psychok7
August 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you can help me install xturtle(python) on my ubuntu. On windows you are suposed to copy the xturtle folder to the python folder, but i have no ideia on were is that folder in ubuntu. can any of you help me?? oh and another thing, how can i install dr python ANSI ??
thanks

pmasiar
August 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
xturtle is not in universe repo - you can try compile from sources but i would advise against it (not for beginner). Try KTurtle instead.

Another option for programming language for a beginner (like turtle graphics) is GvR - robot, which uses mainstream language Python instead of esoteric logo (which you cannot use for anuything else beyond learning logo). Also in repository, with lessons.

drpython, kturtle, gvr - install via synaptic. Search, then install. Easy - just couple of clicks! You may need to enable universe repository for drpython, but IDLE is also decent Python IDE and is very simple (== less confusing IMHO).

psychok7
August 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
xturtle is not in universe repo - you can try compile from sources but i would advise against it (not for beginner). Try KTurtle instead.

Another option for programming language for a beginner (like turtle graphics) is GvR - robot, which uses mainstream language Python instead of esoteric logo (which you cannot use for anuything else beyond learning logo). Also in repository, with lessons.

drpython, kturtle, gvr - install via synaptic. Search, then install. Easy - just couple of clicks! You may need to enable universe repository for drpython, but IDLE is also decent Python IDE and is very simple (== less confusing IMHO).

hi there ill install kturtle, but i wanted xturtle because its for school purposes.in windows is just copy and past. cant it be like that in linux 2??

steve.horsley
August 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
All you need to do is to copy xturtle.py to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages.

psychok7
August 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM
All you need to do is to copy xturtle.py to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages.

i have tried that and my dr python still says that i havent the xturtle module installed on my pc when i do "from xturtle import *"
i do believe it is a "path" problem, any more ideias??

psychok7
August 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
oops.. i happened to copy the entire folder only.. xturtle.py on site packages is the solution indeed....
thanks mates..