PDA

View Full Version : E16 For Ever!

asleepfromtheday
August 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
[CENTER]Call me strange, but i think e17 has been a waste of good devel time. It just feels wrong. I love e16 and got very excited about the next generation, but it just does not feel right! I am currently using Ubuntu, using gnome with xgl so my stupid ATI card can run compiz-fusion ( i know the xorg driver works but it is unacceptabley slow) and even as all the whizzbang effects make my screen look pretty, i am missing the speed and efficiency of my e16 login.

Am i crazy? Is E17 crap or is it me? Argh! :confused:

fyllekajan
August 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I prefer E16 over E17. If the developers are wasting any time at least it's their time, wasted on their hobby. I don't like where they are going with E17, but it's their project and it's not finished yet so who knows where it's going to end up. It's definitely not crap but I guess they are aiming at the Xfce user base with this thing, and not necessarily E16 users.

asleepfromtheday
August 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM
True, it is not crap, I guess i am just disappointed because i was really looking foward to an uber e16 haha. Speaking of XFCE, does it look dated or am i too used to gnome now? I used to enjoy Xubuntu and dream linux but they look so fraill compared to a well themed gnome enviroment...to me anyhow

mrgnash
August 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
True, it is not crap, I guess i am just disappointed because i was really looking foward to an uber e16 haha. Speaking of XFCE, does it look dated or am i too used to gnome now? I used to enjoy Xubuntu and dream linux but they look so fraill compared to a well themed gnome enviroment...to me anyhow

I don't think there's much difference in the theming capabilities of Gnome vs. XFCE. The theme settings in XFCE don't allow for manual adjustment of GTK color schema, or the selection of fonts for specific desktop elements... but that's about it; you can still have your compiz, AWN, and all that other jazz under XFCE.

Freddy
August 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I honestly love e17 with all of my heart and I will love it even more when some of the applications including the file manager are stable enough for daily use.

/Freddy

juxtaposed
August 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
E17 is really cool and pretty original.

izizzle
August 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
E17 beats GNOME, KDE,XFCE, or any other memory eating window manager out there. e17 is good lookin, and low mem consumption. Anyone who thinks e17 is "crap" is crazy.

Freddy
August 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It's hard even comparing the two, e17 is striving for something more than just a plain old window manager or as the developers say, e17 is more of a "desktop shell".
I just can't wait until we get some more stable and useful applications based on the EFL library, I would prefer not to use application based on GTK or QT in this beautiful environment :).

thisllub
August 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I just finished another E17 build half an hour ago on 64 Studio.

If you go to a little bit of trouble to set it up it is the best DE/WM bar none.

john_spiral
January 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
e16 can be both beautiful and just about stable (only remember one crash on Elive Gem 1 0 Stable).

After choosing the e16 login... lovely retro 3d twirling windows with a singing sound. Flames, sorry I think that's e17, darn!

On the top of my e16 list is the MacOS like dock! Beat that e17! COME ON e17 GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT! ;-)

-grubby
January 30th, 2009, 01:20 AM
When I tried E16, I hated it. When I tried E17, it seemed unstable. E17 has been in development for 9 years, also...

ivaarsen
January 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I didn't like Enlightenment so much when I tried it. I think that mostly comes from the instability issues though.

I got Yellow Dog running on my PS3 at one time, but haven't booted it up for a while. I stopped working on it after I had gotten all my music (a mix of MP3s and WMAs) to play. It was neat in its way, but not quite right for me.

Didn't anyone else notice how cheesy (in my opinion) it was to call the Firefox browser Iceweasel?

Erik Trybom
January 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I tried E17 a few years back, thought it missed some features and was a little unstable, so I figured I could try it again when it was finished. That was more than three years ago, and I'm still waiting.

I'm afraid Enlightenment is well on its way to irrelevancy by never releasing a stable version. KDE 4 has been released and twice improved. Gnome keeps getting better, and version 3 is coming up on the horizon. Compiz Fusion offers eye candy more spectacular than anything seen before.

I never did try E16 though. Perhaps that's something.

thisllub
January 30th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Speed wise it leaves KDE and Gnome for dead.
Sort of like FluxBox or OpenBox with EyeCandy.

Certainly a much better option on a low spec machine. Probably great on a netbook.

s3kt0r
January 30th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Sorry, but e17 rocks. :)

On my machine, it's the one with lowest resource usage and runs pretty stable.

Stickin' with it.