PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu at work

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I am just wondering how many people use Ubuntu at work, or as a part time work computer.

lancest
August 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I teach and use ONLY Ubuntu in both my home/work offices. Use OO in Ubuntu for word processing/speadsheets. My HP 1020 and Laserjet 5600 print like a charm! Ubuntu is certainly very well suited for business. No (wonderful) command line required. I don't need to mention the other numerous advantages of Linux

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I agree, I plug in my HP LJ 1100 and it finds it and prints, no hassel, drivers, or any other crap (although I am having a problem with Totem Movie Player and the libdvdscc library!)

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... there appears to be some kind of problem with my bean count, it should be at like 12 or something! Not 8!

Tomosaur
August 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I use Ubuntu for university work all the time. For music stuff I need to use Windows because a) I have a crappy sound card and b) I tend to just record instruments then do basic production / mixing, and Sony Sound Acid is absolutely perfect for this. Unfortunately it's not available on Linux, and Ardour 2 just gives me errors all the time. Audacity is good for post-production and general sound tweaking, but not great for sequencing.

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Well, never mind about that previous post, my bean count seems to be working now, but still is about 8 off! Oh well!:lolflag:

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Well, now I'm venting, because it still says nine again, oh well! This is crap! :confused:

GStubbs43
August 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Well, now I'm venting, because it still says nine again, oh well! This is crap! :confused:

Beans don't count Cafe/Backyard, etc. posts.

Nezing
August 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Er...what was the original question? :lolflag:

Oh yes.Nope.I'm stuck with microshaft at work (Vista).
We are (will) upgrade sometime in 2065,or after the present managerial team have been fired.

Ubuntu upgrade due January 2008.Hoorah!!!

:guitar:

goumples
August 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I use Ubuntu at home, but I work for myself out of my home.. guess that counts ehh?

ertrules22
August 6th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Beans don't count Cafe/Backyard, etc. posts
Really? Okay, my madness ranting and raving is over. Well, I tried to at least get my dad to buy a new apple computer before vista, but to no avail, so I am stuck with Ubuntu on an oldish laptop and FreeBSD on an old laptop. I have Windows XP at work and Vista at home (Grrrrrrrrrr...)
Oh well, times change (hopefully).:lolflag:

yatt
August 6th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I don't use computers at work.

Compucore
August 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM
My last two contracts that I had over here. I needed to do something that I couldn't save properly on the standard IT workstation that I had under both contracted jobs. SO brought my ubuntu laptop with me and did it there without a hitch. Some people who don't know what linux is Love how they look over the shoulder and see their face gawk at how good ubuntu is on any system.

COmpucore