PDA

View Full Version : Best "Is Linux Ready for the Desktop" Article Ever

poofyhairguy
July 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I hope not to embarrass fellow forum member aysiu, but this kicks too much ass to not point it out:

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxdesktop.php

Nails the problems on both sides: us and them. I really like it. Some really insightful parts:

If you fit into one of these two profiles, you probably won't be successful in migrating to Linux:

* You know very little about Linux; you don't care about how computers work, just that they work; and you will run from Linux at the first obstacle you encounter. You have no friends who are Linux experts.
* You think the Windows way of doing things is the best way and is always the best way. You don't really want to migrate to Linux. You just want to make a feigned attempt at installing it and using it so that you can complain about how it's not "ready for the desktop" when you encounter a single problem.

Right on!

It's human nature to be skeptical of new things and forgiving of old things. If something goes wrong in Windows, people don't even notice. They just put up with it. If something goes wrong in Linux, "Oh, it's not ready for the desktop. It's not user-friendly enough." People expect Windows to fail. They just use it because it's popular and installed on their computers already. For some reason (perhaps because of crazy Linux zealots?), a lot of Windows users expect Linux to be perfect, so if it fails just once or produces one error (which may, in fact, be the user's fault, not the program's), Linux "isn't ready."

Right on!

But then there is a valid complaint of our side:

Linux users themselves have to be better about helping new users select appropriate distributions. The three standard responses to "Which distro should I use?" are not satisfactory.

1. Use Mandriva (or Ubuntu, Xandros, Fedora, etc.).
2. Use whatever works for you.
3. Use Slackware (or Gentoo, Linux from Scratch...).

1. Doesn't help because even though you name a user-friendly distro, the person asking the question doesn't know why she should use that one as opposed to another.
2. Doesn't help because she doesn't know what works for her... uh, that's why she's asking in the first place!
3. Doesn't help because the vast majority of people asking the question do not want to build Linux from scratch--they want something truly user-friendly.

It makes me think...what how to documentation the Linux world REALLY lacks- Public Relations documentation,

Overall the best I've read in a while. Anyone got some pull at a major nerd news site (osnews, /., whatever) so this can get out there?

damonw5
July 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks aysiu... and poofyhairguy for pointing this out!

Omnios
July 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM
My point of view and I finaly got over this after using Linux for a few weeks. People expect Linux to be a knock off windows clone which it is not. Linux is a totaly different OS which means you have to learn how to use this new OS and not expect a windows knock off cloan the same hold true for many other OS's yet people always complainn about Linux. Also you can do things with Linux having very little knowledge of it that you could not dream of doing in windows.

There is a lot of hardware that is bugged in Linux but is that realy Linux's fault. With windows if something does not work properly you slap in the manufacturers driver which seem to be nonexistant for Linux at times but is that Linuxs fault. Even with XP I finaly figured something out. I ditched most of the XP drivers for video and sound and installed the drivers from the manufactures sites and things worked much much better in that XP drivers barely worked but where useable out of the box.

Basicly what I would like to add is If your trying to use Linux as a Windows knock off it may not be right for you!

EDIT: "Almost forgot, Nice article"

aysiu
July 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Basicly what I would like to add is If your trying to use Linux as a Windows knock off it may not be right for you! I know Poofyhairyguy likes my article, and I'm flattered, but for your point about Linux not being Windows, I think this article (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) definitely articulates the issue better than I can.

Unfortunately, even-handed, well-argued articles about Linux do not get as well-publicized. Instead, poorly researched (testing on Fedora only?) articles that are essentially fear-uncertainty-doubt propaganda (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why_Linux_isn_t_ready_for_desktops/0,2000061733,39202374,00.htm) get all over Google News.

Kyral
July 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
BRAVO!!! Very good article!! Someone put that on Slashdot!

kanem
July 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
People expect Linux to be a knock off windows clone which it is not. Linux is a totaly different OS which means you have to learn how to use this new OS and not expect a windows knock off cloan the same hold true for many other OS's yet people always complainn about Linux.

I agree. There needs to be some way to make it clear to people that it's supposed to be different. I can't remember if it was here or in another forum that someone pointed the following out:

When a Windows user buys a Mac they see that they have to buy a completely different machine, that they know is, in most ways, imcompatible with their old computer. This helps to resign them to the fact that many things are going to be different and they don't have many expectations of how things 'should' be.

But with Linux, many Windows users expect much of the same behaviour because, afterall, it's the same computer. It's not as obvious to many that things are going to be very different. Especially since 'PC' has come to mean 'computer that runs Windows' to many.

Edit: Ha! Just saw this link (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) posted by aysiu. Maybe this should be linked to more often. Of course, some distros would probably disagree. Not sure I agree with *everything* there.

aysiu
July 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM
When a Windows user buys a Mac they see that they have to buy a completely different machine, that they know is, in most ways, imcompatible with their old computer. This helps to resign them to the fact that many things are going to be different and they don't have many expectations of how things 'should' be. I totally agree. Nevertheless, when my wife and I got our first Mac OS X, we found a number of things frustrating that we took for granted in Windows. I think there are growing pains even if your expectations are realistic--you're used to what you're used to.

Is Mac OS X user-friendly? Of course.
Still, we couldn't turn off the startup noise.
The only way to show hidden files in file browsing is by editing a .plist.
Boot-up time was extremely slow given the Powerbook's specs.
There was no way to change the default view for new folders (it's always icon view unless you manually change each one).
I didn't even know that you installed software by dragging the program icon from the white thingy to the Applications folder. Nevertheless, Mac users find this an extremely intuitive way to install software.
Why would dragging a hard drive to the trash mean ejecting it? Wouldn't that be erasing it?
Why is the windows' behavior so unpredictable when I press the "plus" button? Sure, I don't expect Windows to maximize, but I have no idea what's going to happen when I press the plus.
Closing the last window doesn't close the program?

I'm not trying to say Mac OS X isn't "ready for the desktop." My point is quite the opposite--everyone takes for granted that Mac OS X is user-friendly, but when you're used to doing things a certain way, it's very difficult to train yourself otherwise unless you have an open mind.

poofyhairguy
July 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I know Poofyhairyguy likes my article, and I'm flattered, but for your point about Linux not being Windows, I think this article (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) definitely articulates the issue better than I can.

I have one gripe with that article:

It might. But except for possible improvements in third-party Linux support, who benefits from Linux going mainstream? Linux is free, as in beer. None of the people creating Linux profit from it gaining a bigger userbase. None of the people on the Linux forums profit from it gaining a bigger userbase. Linux's aim is not "gain a bigger userbase" - that's the goal of proprietary software.

Third Party support is bigger than the author wants to believe. I love my Nvidia drivers.

The answer, usually, is that they don't actually want to move to Linux. They just want to get away from Windows: They're running away from viruses; they're fleeing malware; they're striving to be free of restrictions on how they use their paid-for software; they're trying to escape from the clutches of the E.U.L.A. They aren't trying to get into Linux, they're trying to get out of Windows. Linux is simply the best-known alternative.

This explains all of the loud Linux to OSX people recently.

majikstreet
July 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM
You don't need to have a friend who uses linux, just have a good forum (eg for ubuntu: ubuntuforums.org for gentoo: forums.gentoo.org) or use IRC. I think pretty much every distrobution has an IRC channel or two.

majikstreet

aysiu
July 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
You don't need to have a friend who uses linux, just have a good forum (eg for ubuntu: ubuntuforums.org for gentoo: forums.gentoo.org) or use IRC. I think pretty much every distrobution has an IRC channel or two.

majikstreet The forum is more than good enough for me, but I'd consider myself an intermediate computer user (even though I'm a Linux novice). For someone who is a computer beginner, even these forums would probably not help enough because she or he would not know what to even ask.

NoTiG
July 25th, 2005, 11:58 PM
It isn't ready for me yet. I give linux about 2 years before it is... where i can completely erase my windows xp . I think in 2 years time linux will gain alot more momentum... and i think its even possible to make 10 X 10 . WEll... we will see.. and maybe ill resurrect this thread with my prediction in two years time, and flood the graveyard :P

ubuntu_demon
July 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
very good article!

Being a nerd it is sometimes hard for me to put myself into the perspective of a green user/average desktop user. Articles like these are very informative.

When average users/green users come to me for advice this is what I have learned :

tell them that there are alternatives to windows which are not as vulnarable to spyware and virusses

-if they insist on running windows I tell them to use open source software for example www.opencd.org and urge them to use firefox + hitmanpro + avast or avg. Also teach them to be paranoid.
-if they need a new machine I recommend a mac.
-if they already have a computer and not willing to buy a mac I recommend Ubuntu or Linspire (not tried that one yet but I think it's better suited for users who don't want to use ubuntuguide / ubuntuforums / wiki to learn how to do things)
-if they already have a computer and they want to learn I recommend Ubuntu

To get even better usability linux needs game manufacturers and hardware manufacturers to cooperate. They will do this when the linux market share is high enough. The way to higher market share is only a matter of time :
1) education (being worked on see for example edubuntu.org)
2) corporations to use linux desktops (this is starting to happen)

link about usability :
http://ww.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9021

links about improvements that would be nice for linux :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=11257
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=9137
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27561

opensource links :
http://www.go-opensource.org
http://www.theopencd.org

windows vs linux :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41400

ubuntu commerical :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41771

breezy (next version of ubuntu) goals :
http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BreezyGoals

benplaut
July 26th, 2005, 12:18 AM
very good article!

Being a nerd it is sometimes hard for me to put myself into the perspective of a green user/average desktop user. Articles like these are very informative.

When average users/green users come to me for advice this is what I have learned :
-if they insist on running windows I tell them to use open source software for example www.opencd.org and urge them to use firefox + hitmanpro + avast or avg. Also teach them to be paranoid.
-if they need a new machine I recommend a mac.
-if they already have a computer and not willing to buy a mac I recommend Ubuntu or Linspire (not tried that one yet but I think it's better suited for users who don't want to use ubuntuguide / ubuntuforums / wiki to learn how to do things)
-if they already have a computer and they want to learn I recommend Ubuntu

To get even better usability linux needs game manufacturers and hardware manufacturers to cooperate. They will do this when the linux market share is high enough. The way to higher market share is only a matter of time :
1) education (being worked on see for example edubuntu.org)
2) corporations to use linux desktops (this is starting to happen)

better Xandros than Linspire... i've tried both, and Xandros is just as easy, but doesn't keep reaching for your wallet like Linspire does

sonny
July 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
It's a VERY good article, it has some good points about the "user frendly" thing. I'm with the idea that EVERYONE should use the OS they want, as long as ALL the others can read and write the files, it shouldn't matter wether you use MS-Office or OOo, or the Mac Suite, you should be able to give your files away knowing that everyone will be able to see it (or edit it). Anyway, I know that'll be a utopia, but it's nice to dream.

aysiu
July 26th, 2005, 12:25 AM
better Xandros than Linspire... i've tried both, and Xandros is just as easy, but doesn't keep reaching for your wallet like Linspire does Linspire's a waste of money... for me. I could see it appealing to a certain niche, though. I can honestly say it's the only distro of 12+ that I've tried that's recognized all of my hardware. Do I want to pay whatever-it-is a year for their CNR? No thanks. But I could see some people thinking it's worth the money. Personally, I prefer being able to tweak everything and use apt-get to install software.

GreyFox503
August 15th, 2005, 09:42 AM
This is an old thread, but it brings up a good point I wanted to ask. The article talks about how NOT to answer "Which distro should I use?". If someone asks you that question, what is the proper response?

manicka
August 15th, 2005, 11:02 AM
This is an old thread, but it brings up a good point I wanted to ask. The article talks about how NOT to answer "Which distro should I use?". If someone asks you that question, what is the proper response?
Ubuntu ;)

npaladin2000
August 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately, even-handed, well-argued articles about Linux do not get as well-publicized. Instead, poorly researched (testing on Fedora only?) articles that are essentially fear-uncertainty-doubt propaganda (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why_Linux_isn_t_ready_for_desktops/0,2000061733,39202374,00.htm) get all over Google News.

I dunno, that guy makes a good point about being able to auto-migrate some stuff from Windows to Linux. Internet/network settings, bookmarks would be a good idea. IM settings, e-mail settings...all of these are valid possibilities. Copy the contents of "My Documents" into a "Docs" folder in Home, something similar with My Photos, My Music, My Webs, etc. Since everyone uses IE, Firefox, or Opera, moving bookmarks is easy. E-mail settings are harder, since they could be using Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Outlook, or a couple others.

Possibly import PDA settings too. Now, for most distros, this isn't possible simply because they offer TOO MANY options as a destination for this stuff. Single CD distros like Ubuntu, however, can, since we offer one browser by default, one e-mail/PIM client, one IM program, etc.

Yet another reason I always advocate single-CD distros for workstations. :) A lot of what he points out applies to multi-CD distros that offer too much, like when he goes off on the media players, and the fact that there's (truly unnecessarily) too many of them in most distros. Distros should standardize on ONE apiece...even we're in trouble on that one, since we got Xine, XMMS, Helix, and Totem. Overkill. Pick ONE...maybe Totem-Xine, or VLC. The selection should be based on functionality and integration with the default desktop (both functionally and asthetically) which kinda eliminates MPlayer, and even regualr Xine (need it for a backend, but it doesn't have to be in the menu). Ditch the rest (Except Rhythmbox, but that's a media manager, not a player). There's no need to install all of them in the DEFAULT INITIAL install....no one's talking about removing them from the repositories or denying anyone the choice of switching to one of the others.

And he talks about the text editor...personally, I like GEdit a lot, but for many people it's overkill, and all they need is Mousepad. If they want a programmer-class text editor, they'll install GVIM, XEMacs, or Eclipse, or whatever. Though for us in Ubuntu, Glade and DrPython should be a default install due to Ubuntu's Python backing. Maybe Boa Constructor too, but it looks terrible on a GTK2 desktop.

Just snorting at someone automatically when they say "Linux isn't ready" is the wrong thing to do. Maybe they mostly don't know what they're talking about, but even for those that don't, there are things to be learned from what they say.

aysiu
August 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I dunno, that guy makes a good point about being able to auto-migrate some stuff from Windows to Linux. In my experience, that's never stopped anyone from migrating to Mac OS X. Why should it stop people from migrating to Linux? Sure, it'd be a nice thing to have, but when people complain on these forums or other Linux forums about Linux "not being ready," they rarely, if ever, mention not being able to auto-migrate settings. Usually, it's a hardware detection problem or inability to install programs that aren't in the repositories.

Just snorting at someone automatically when they say "Linux isn't ready" is the wrong thing to do. Maybe they mostly don't know what they're talking about, but even for those that don't, there are things to be learned from what they say. Who said I was "snorting... automatically"? I honestly don't think he makes any good points, and I honestly thinking judging all of Linux based on Fedora is wrong, especially when his critiques are often Fedora-specific (having to choose a desktop, having too many programs, etc.).

This is an old thread, but it brings up a good point I wanted to ask. The article talks about how NOT to answer "Which distro should I use?". If someone asks you that question, what is the proper response? Well, at the time I wrote it, there was too much to go into to give a simple answer. Recently, someone told me about this distro quiz. I think it rocks, and I refer newbies to it all the time who say, "Which distro?":

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

GreyFox503
August 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM
I looked at the quiz and I like it too. It's a good way for a newbie to be able to find one that he/she at least feels better suits them, rather than their expert friend just arbitrarily telling them to use Distro X for no apparent reason.

aysiu
August 16th, 2005, 05:39 AM
I looked at the quiz and I like it too. It's a good way for a newbie to be able to find one that he/she at least feels better suits them, rather than their expert friend just arbitrarily telling them to use Distro X for no apparent reason. It's not perfect, of course, but it gives newbies a good place to start, and the developers sound as if they're open to suggestions for how to improve the quiz. The quiz worked perfectly for me--Ubuntu and Mepis.

poofyhairguy
August 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Awesome quiz. Says I need Ubuntu or Debian.

That thing rocks.