PDA

View Full Version : Where Is CNR?

jsmidt
August 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I was told months ago we would be able to use CNR shortly after Feisty was released. Then I was told it was delayed until June. It is now August and I have not heard even a hint that it is coming for Ubuntu users any time soon. Does anybody know where CNR is?

Didn't Linspire work out a deal with us? Are they trying to honor that deal, or only the ones that involve Microsoft?

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Linspire Co. has a bad habit of not delivering, this isn't really a surprise.

jrusso2
August 6th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Its been delayed check the Freespire forums

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Bleh, I doubt their in any particular rush at all... what's so important about CNR anyway?

reyfer
August 6th, 2007, 06:34 AM
What is so important about CNR? Can't you get what you want with Synaptic, apt-get, aptitude, or directly from the software makers?

Ripfox
August 6th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Forgve me...I hear alot about this but don't know what it is. Is it just a fancy front-end?

Edit: Oh I see...kinda cool I guess?

misfitpierce
August 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
It's an easier way to get programs etc. It would be great to have for the newer crowd migrating from windows. Would help Ubuntu seem simpler and much easier making more users make the switch permanently.

jrusso2
August 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM
As long as Linspire is running it I can't recommend it

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
As long as Linspire is running it I can't recommend it

Same.

curuxz
August 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM
linspire really are the bottom feeders of the linux world - dont trust em dont use em they are only interested in standing on the shoulders of the great cashing in on others hard work.

TheeMahn2003
August 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM
As posted in another thread:

In windows world called a mime type based application, I will make it happen, I do have priorities that I have to take care of first but none the less when I am done the terminal will be dead. I personally like the terminal, but do not feel others should have to tolerate it.

I have written perhaps 100's of programs for windows, most utilising the API (advanced programming interface). A simple task, or so I hope to create exactly what this post is here for. I thought I would touch bases with you for testing purposes, for not just my version of Ubuntu but all. Do you mind if I post code and scripts to your thread for testing?

I would like to know if anything has been started, one thing I have learned is do not re-create the wheel when it comes to programming.

Best regards,

TheeMahn

I can host all the software and offer the same as CNR for free, and have full intentions of doing so. It will happen before I am done and will not require you to pay a penny. I have decided a while back it is not your job as the end user to pay for software (i have never accepted a donation) that should be free, keep an eye on me after 1.4 gamers is released will work to make this happen. I will purchase a 4th host for this reason, 1 for webpages, 1 for repo traffic, 1 for download server and 1 for as it is called "CNR". I will not require even so much as an account, 100% free as it should be, wont matter if you run Ubuntu or mine, you will be taken care of.

Burgundavia
August 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
The only thing that CNR offers beyond the Add/Remove tool at the bottom of the Applications menu is marketing. Because it is a seperate product, not tied to a distro, they can market it as such, leading to better mindshare. Technically, CNR is no better than Add/Remove + the various codec installation wizards.

Corey

UbuWu
August 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Technically, CNR is no better than Add/Remove + the various codec installation wizards.

Corey

It has some very nice additions: screenshots, comments etc...

curuxz
August 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
well we should look to bring the features to apttidue/synaptic not go off in bed with some VD infested tramp (like CNR) which makes no secret that its only out to make money!

Ratings are already being added to ubuntu's add package system, and hopfully will make its way over to kubuntu users too soon, we dont need CNR

Mathiasdm
August 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Oh no, a company that wants to make money! Run away!

:rolleyes:

Sammi
August 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Features CNR has over add/remove, Synaptic, and apt-get:
Screenshots
Ratings
User comments.But then again, www.getdeb.net offers all these features for free.

Incense
August 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I think with GetDeb growing as much as it is, CNR really is not important to Ubuntu.

reyfer
August 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think with GetDeb growing as much as it is, CNR really is not important to Ubuntu.

\\:D/\\:D/

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
*cough* Time to jump ship anyone?

http://osnews.com/story.php/18400/Linspire-CEO-Kevin-Carmony-Resigns/

:)

Sunflower1970
August 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
*cough* Time to jump ship anyone?

http://osnews.com/story.php/18400/Linspire-CEO-Kevin-Carmony-Resigns/

:)

So he does a deal with MS, then resigns...?

:shock: ...Mitt Romney campaign...?

forrestcupp
August 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Features CNR has over add/remove, Synaptic, and apt-get:

Screenshots
Ratings
User comments.But then again, www.getdeb.org offers all these features for free.

Your link didn't work. It's actually www.getdeb.net

ZipoTe
August 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM

I agree with you. CNR is just a Synaptic with screenshots. We can survive without it

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM

I might add that IMO LinuxAppFinder (http://linuxappfinder.com/package/k3b) does a great (arguably better than get deb, it has more apps) job indexing almost all available applications. It also already has screen shots (new feature I think), ratings and user comments.

In addition it even has a Windows Alternatives sections for new people unsure what category they need or who are intimidated by the search/browsing. All in all, great site.

So, if that's all CNR has over Synaptic, I don't see a compelling need... perhaps linux app finder should just be added to bookmarks or the links on the main page when you first start firefox up. Seems an easier solution.

Sammi
August 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Your link didn't work. It's actually www.getdeb.net (http://www.getdeb.net)Fixed. Thanks :D

jsmidt
August 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Is there a way for getdeb to handle dependancies?

AlexenderReez
August 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Is there a way for getdeb to handle dependancies?

all deb package can handle dependency {EXCEPT BUILD USING CHECK INSTALL}...i don't know why people keep installing software using dpkg .....that is the one that doesn't handle dependency....please use deb package manager....just double click the software.....

about CNR ,think way back,i have created a threat about this in feisty development discussion before,there was one person confidently said CNR is already stable and don't need to be test(aT that time)....hm...but anyway for me it is not important either....thied-party repos are enough :) ....

jsmidt
August 7th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Does anyone know if there is any push to merge getdeb with synaptic through some plugin or something?

tjoel99
August 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM
It's an easier way to get programs etc. It would be great to have for the newer crowd migrating from windows. Would help Ubuntu seem simpler and much easier making more users make the switch permanently.

Hello from Tokyo. As a newcomer to Ubuntu, I like the idea of being able to install new software easily. It sounds like CNR provides that function. Would there be any drawbacks to it? Japan English PC. (http://www.japanenglishpc.com)

darkmaster
August 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hello from Tokyo. As a newcomer to Ubuntu, I like the idea of being able to install new software easily. It sounds like CNR provides that function. Would there be any drawbacks to it? Japan English PC. (http://www.japanenglishpc.com)

As we are saying here, Synaptic does the job and I can ensure you that it does it BETTER than CNR. I've been a Linspire user for one year and then splitted to Ubuntu. CNR used to crash my system often and I had to make some serious manual hacking to make it function again... and if it doesn't work for some reason, in Linspire, you can't install or uninstall anything anymore. Nightmare? Yeah, right. Plus CNR hasn't ever been updated often as long as I used it. I thought it was updated enough often but then migrating to Ubuntu.... I understood what real updates are! Plus adding repos to synaptic and having all the new softwares ready for use is way far better than the closed CNR infrastructure... believe me, it is not that great for any reason..

The only good point of CNR is that it shows you commercial or just freeware software too. It is not limited to Open and Free software and this is an handicap too in another point of view. CNR is like a shop where you can see everything you like: somethings can be downloaded for free (But you won't notice any different amoong proprietary and free software), others has to be paid. And that's all. So it is a good thing afterall, something more that synaptic could never reach, but for all the reasons I already explained you, using synaptic is ethically righter (If you wanna use proprietary software then why ever did you change to Linux??) and safer, plus repositoryes are updated very often, while CNR is not a winner in latest versions...

So no real need for CNR in the Linux world. Really.

vexorian
August 14th, 2007, 06:53 PM
The more time unnecessary garbage takes to come and try to poison Ubuntu the better.

I heard of a better non-MSLinux alternative that comes in a remix, I think we should give more attention to that one.

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
(If you wanna use proprietary software then why ever did you change to Linux??) .

Well, open source and GNU is hardly the only reason for switching to Linux. Some people actually use Linux because they like it, not just for ethical reasons.

vexorian
August 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Neglecting open source, is the same as neglecting Linux, the reason Linux is likeable right now is thanks to the contribution of all the community, if you just take Linux and push hard to make it proprietary you will simply remove what makes it good and its quality will decrease.

Andrewie
August 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Neglecting open source, is the same as neglecting Linux, the reason Linux is likeable right now is thanks to the contribution of all the community, if you just take Linux and push hard to make it proprietary you will simply remove what makes it good and its quality will decrease.

this is software not religion!!!!!!!! relax

I haven't read to much about CNR but nowhere have I seen it "pushing" proprietary software. They provide it but that isn't the same as pushing, and besides most of the software is open source anyway.

vexorian
August 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
There are a lot of practical reasons not to use proprietary garbage, I don't really think minimizing the discussion as if it was religion helps.

Quillz
August 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Since when is using propriatery (aka closed-source) software "unethical?" I guess using Ubuntu is unethical, too, since it was originally promoted by a billionaire of a for-profit corporation.

Andrewie
August 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Since when is using propriatery (aka closed-source) software "unethical?" I guess using Ubuntu is unethical, too, since it was originally promoted by a billionaire of a for-profit corporation.

I agree with you, but there is no point talking to them. They only think in extremes

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Bleh, I doubt their in any particular rush at all... what's so important about CNR anyway?

A legal way for people in the states to get restricted codecs

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:22 AM
well we should look to bring the features to apttidue/synaptic not go off in bed with some VD infested tramp (like CNR) which makes no secret that its only out to make money!

Ratings are already being added to ubuntu's add package system, and hopfully will make its way over to kubuntu users too soon, we dont need CNR

dude it's just a computer program not a woman maybe you sleep with unbuntu every night . I know I don't

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM
The only thing that CNR offers beyond the Add/Remove tool at the bottom of the Applications menu is marketing. Because it is a seperate product, not tied to a distro, they can market it as such, leading to better mindshare. Technically, CNR is no better than Add/Remove + the various codec installation wizards.

Corey

You should do more research on this subject

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM

cnr does not cost a thing

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM
As we are saying here, Synaptic does the job and I can ensure you that it does it BETTER than CNR. I've been a Linspire user for one year and then splitted to Ubuntu. CNR used to crash my system often and I had to make some serious manual hacking to make it function again... and if it doesn't work for some reason, in Linspire, you can't install or uninstall anything anymore. Nightmare? Yeah, right. Plus CNR hasn't ever been updated often as long as I used it. I thought it was updated enough often but then migrating to Ubuntu.... I understood what real updates are! Plus adding repos to synaptic and having all the new softwares ready for use is way far better than the closed CNR infrastructure... believe me, it is not that great for any reason..

The only good point of CNR is that it shows you commercial or just freeware software too. It is not limited to Open and Free software and this is an handicap too in another point of view. CNR is like a shop where you can see everything you like: somethings can be downloaded for free (But you won't notice any different amoong proprietary and free software), others has to be paid. And that's all. So it is a good thing afterall, something more that synaptic could never reach, but for all the reasons I already explained you, using synaptic is ethically righter (If you wanna use proprietary software then why ever did you change to Linux??) and safer, plus repositoryes are updated very often, while CNR is not a winner in latest versions...

So no real need for CNR in the Linux world. Really.

this is garbage freespire is based on ubuntu and is more than capable of building an installer. I work for a company that uses linspire on there computers. thats about 25 people using it all the time I never had any thing but good experiences with cnr (never crashed one time)

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM
this is software not religion!!!!!!!! relax

I haven't read to much about CNR but nowhere have I seen it "pushing" proprietary software. They provide it but that isn't the same as pushing, and besides most of the software is open source anyway.

Thanks thats what i'm saying "a little fanatical are we" I just made a switch to linux at home and these guys are starting to scare me. It's like a cult or something

xArv3nx
August 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I think EVERYONE is being totally retarded about the Microsoft-Linspire deal. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Because, honestly, they are getting a lot of things out of this deal that no one else will get. (Except Microsoft!)

This is why I don't like the Linux community, mention one thing about Microsoft and everybody starts going crazy and flaming you. It seems everywhere I go in the Linux community I'm surrounded by either A) retards who call you an idiot when asking for help (OpenSuSE ppls!) or B) Linux fanboys.

I've used Linspire for a long time. I hate it. And I REALLY don't like Ubuntu, either. As a matter of fact, I don't like Linux in general. It's just great for messing around.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I just installed an Ubuntu command line install, and had so many troubles with it. I installed kde-core, kdm, and xorg. Xorg kept crashing, and I couldn't install any more programs due to it giving me some ******** about dpkg and parse errors. Therefore, I couldn't install links to figure out the problem, and I didn't know how to fix it.

Oh, and before i forget. When Freespire moved from Debian --> Ubuntu, it screwed everything up. Ubuntu has so many issues, and Freespire acquired two VERY big issues from Ubuntu.

1) Horrible, crappy, ****** video system. They had so many problems with Freespire and that, and that delayed it for at LEAST 2 weeks.

2) Programs crashing when running them. Mainly a Kubuntu issue, you run a program, then it shows up in the taskbar with the icon spinning, then just disappears.

Not to mention the "good" version of Linspire isn't even out yet. (Don't give me this **** about Linspire being out, that's for the OEMs and not for Desktop users, that's what 6.1 is for.)

Sorry, I don't like to flame. But this is incredibly frustrating and I'm tired of how retarded Linux people are sometimes. Not to mention how frustrating Linux itself is.

DeadSuperHero
August 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
If you don't like it, then try something else.
It's that simple.
EDIT:
Also, Ubuntu really hasn't had those issues for me. You're probably using Kubuntu, but why not make yourself useful and actually report these problems?

jrusso2
August 18th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I think EVERYONE is being totally retarded about the Microsoft-Linspire deal. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Because, honestly, they are getting a lot of things out of this deal that no one else will get. (Except Microsoft!)

This is why I don't like the Linux community, mention one thing about Microsoft and everybody starts going crazy and flaming you. It seems everywhere I go in the Linux community I'm surrounded by either A) retards who call you an idiot when asking for help (OpenSuSE ppls!) or B) Linux fanboys.

I've used Linspire for a long time. I hate it. And I REALLY don't like Ubuntu, either. As a matter of fact, I don't like Linux in general. It's just great for messing around.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I just installed an Ubuntu command line install, and had so many troubles with it. I installed kde-core, kdm, and xorg. Xorg kept crashing, and I couldn't install any more programs due to it giving me some ******** about dpkg and parse errors. Therefore, I couldn't install links to figure out the problem, and I didn't know how to fix it.

Oh, and before i forget. When Freespire moved from Debian --> Ubuntu, it screwed everything up. Ubuntu has so many issues, and Freespire acquired two VERY big issues from Ubuntu.

1) Horrible, crappy, ****** video system. They had so many problems with Freespire and that, and that delayed it for at LEAST 2 weeks.

2) Programs crashing when running them. Mainly a Kubuntu issue, you run a program, then it shows up in the taskbar with the icon spinning, then just disappears.

Not to mention the "good" version of Linspire isn't even out yet. (Don't give me this **** about Linspire being out, that's for the OEMs and not for Desktop users, that's what 6.1 is for.)

Sorry, I don't like to flame. But this is incredibly frustrating and I'm tired of how retarded Linux people are sometimes. Not to mention how frustrating Linux itself is.

Linspire got very little in return for selling out to Microsoft with that patent deal.

In addition their former CEO Kevin Carmony not only blasted Linux users for being pirates, he blasted GPL v3 spreading FUD that was not even true.

Well Kevin is now gone probably for the above, but no one will ever know for sure.

So far the new version of Linspire is not only being used by OEM's. I see many regular users on their forums that have purchased it and have many issues with it.

They also have many issues installing Freespire 2.0. And many of their issues are not related to Ubuntu, but to something Freespire did to it as I have not seen many of those error messages on this forum as being common the way they are in Freespire.

Sef
August 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
This thread is getting off-topic, so I am closing it.

Original thread:

I was told months ago we would be able to use CNR shortly after Feisty was released. Then I was told it was delayed until June. It is now August and I have not heard even a hint that it is coming for Ubuntu users any time soon. Does anybody know where CNR is?

Didn't Linspire work out a deal with us? Are they trying to honor that deal, or only the ones that involve Microsoft?