PDA

View Full Version : can you believe this crap?

smoker
August 6th, 2007, 01:36 AM
i know the majority of linux users wouldn't fall for this kind of crap, but thought i would post it anyway.

note, at the top of the page it states i use linux, then after the spiel, tells me to buy this for 'windows!':)
http://www.inklineglobal.com/adsales/tribalfusion/pcb_offer_468_tf_tuneup1.html?mcp=GB

obviously this is a hoax, but do people fall for it?

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 01:38 AM
There are plenty of scams out there... the software looks iffy. Anyway ya, people just need to read things when browsing...

buzzmandt
August 6th, 2007, 01:38 AM
took me to pc booster
i've used it in windows and it didn't do crap for me....
well, it did lessen the delay on menus and stuff to 0, but i could do that manually. other than that it's junk

smoker
August 6th, 2007, 01:40 AM
the fact is though, that it has obviously detected i'm using linux, yet still tries to sell me an application for windows!

Tux Aubrey
August 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
obviously this is a hoax, but do people fall for it?

Regrettably, yes :oops: (when I used windows, not linux)

And you are completely correct in your assessment of the usefulness of this product. CR%P.

izanbardprince
August 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM
It's just using a simple User Agent sniff, normally it would say "Windows 2000" "Internet Explorer 6" or whatever, but the UA that Firefox gives out "Linux" "Mozilla 5.0", a lot of older sniffing code will identify Firefox as Netscape Navigator 5, Gecko was supposed to be used for the Netscape 5 that never happened, so it uses that as the beginning of it's user agent string, plus there's plenty of old pages out there that sniff for the word "Mozilla" to try and detect a Netscape browser, so this lets them go ahead and load.

Vorian
August 6th, 2007, 01:51 AM
what stands out to me on that page was K-LINE.

That is usually not a good thing :)

FurryNemesis
August 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
On the very rare occasions that I come across a page like this, I laugh, because no-one apart from this community and myself can make my Ubuntu better.

We're not generic, baby :guitar:

FuturePilot
August 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I have that program running on my Windows partition. The software isn't a scam. Maybe what the site is telling you is inaccurate, but the software is real.

Warren Watts
August 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I love the before and after shots with the animated GIF LOL

Quillz
August 6th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Anyone remember SoftDisk, a program for Windows 95? It promised to "double" your RAM, when in effect all it did was slightly increase the paging file, something any user can do it about one minute for free. (The software cost some $79.)

blithen
August 6th, 2007, 04:11 AM
lol? I use Firefox it said I use Netscape. :/