PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. Mac vs. Linux

mike102282
August 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
http://shonari.wordpress.com/2007/08/05/pc-vs-mac-vs-linux/

Skardal
August 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
This one was new..I haven't read it, but according to the title, linux has gone from being an OS/kernel to be an architecture...

dada1958
August 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Each is good in their own way but hands down Macs are best.
So why did I switch?:-({|=

Sp4cedOut
August 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
not much substance.

Redache
August 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM
PC vs Mac Vs Linux?

Did I miss a rebranding of Windows to PC?.

They're all PC's so I'm confused.....

vwbeamer
August 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
One of his benefits for Mac is the iphone.

Bahawahhaa!! The iphone is a overpriced POS,not to mention, you don't need a mac to have an Iphone.

kodoku
August 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
quite biased...

Dimitriid
August 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Im so tired to hear about macs, when is somebody gonna speaks about the truth: that they failed miserably as a hardware plataform and now are trying to steal Linux thunder by basically copying the OS making some modifications not to give any credit back? They sell nothing but overpriced hardware that is THE SAME AS PC HARDWARE NOW and an interface which is basically almost the same to *Nix, they now have NOTHING BUT HYPE AND FANBOYS

g2g591
August 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I read the article, then I barfed. Macs are even more restricting than windows, it is very hard to customize them, they don't even use normal processors (intel, amd, etc.).

Depressed Man
August 6th, 2007, 12:56 AM
PC vs Mac Vs Linux?

Did I miss a rebranding of Windows to PC?.

They're all PC's so I'm confused.....

The whole Mac vs PC thing came from people not knowing the difference between hardware and software. The funny thing is, Apple was the company that came up with the term PC. Or at least one of the main computing industries that did with the Apple I and Apple II. Then IBM came with the idea of using off the shelf parts and boom. :KS

bruckwine
August 6th, 2007, 01:38 AM
All have their advantages - but i'm really being converted to ubuntu a we speak - I had OS X up simply for parallels emulation and more stability than windows, but linux (esp with compiz a/o beryl) is sweet and free!

starcraft.man
August 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Im so tired to hear about macs, when is somebody gonna speaks about the truth: that they failed miserably as a hardware plataform and now are trying to steal Linux thunder by basically copying the OS making some modifications not to give any credit back? They sell nothing but overpriced hardware that is THE SAME AS PC HARDWARE NOW and an interface which is basically almost the same to *Nix, they now have NOTHING BUT HYPE AND FANBOYS

I strongly agree with you about Hype. Steve Jobs is the master of the "distortion field" and the folks who hang on his every word are only too quick to jump on anything he says (at least from what I've seen) and ignore the views of more sceptical people. Really seems like a cult the more it grows. It scares me, really.

Not much substance, to put it mildly.

Sums up my thoughts of the article too.. Any piece that claims to be a comparison and starts with the conclusion:

Each is good in their own way but hands down Macs are best.

Is obviously biased and uninterested in a substantive comparison. Anyway, I'm not sure why the OP posted it.

DeadSuperHero
August 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Actually, when Leopard comes out, I'm going to hopefully get a Mac, just for the ridiculous sake of triple booting between OSX, Vista(or XP), and Ubuntu. Then I could have a truly awesome computer that does absolutely everything. Hooray!

Hex_Mandos
August 6th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Particularly after Mac's switch to x86, there's no reason to say Macs aren't PCs.

So a relatively new battle has emerged between OS giants Windows and Mac and the new comer Linux

Linux isn't a new OS... and OS X isn't an "OS giant".

Linux: Not compatible with a lot of computers unless you painstakingly search the forums and wikis for a fix

How on earth can someone say hardware support is worse on Linux than on OS X?

I'd like to see good ISV support listed as a Windows advantage (instead of the second "viruses" entry), as they DO rule in that area.

And those "Clone distros" suggested are a lame idea. Linux can't be a better Windows than Windows, or a better OS X than OS X.

blithen
August 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM
So why did I switch?:-({|=

Owned xD

tuxlinux
August 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I read a joke one day. It is like this.

Mac is for those who do not want to know why computer works.
Linux is for those who do want to know why computer works.
DOS is for those who want to know why computer does not work

Window$ is for those who do not want to know why their computer does not work,

:lolflag:

andnobodyslept
August 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM

DOS is for this who want to know why computer does not work

Humor expressing reality...I love it

Quillz
August 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I read the article, then I barfed. Macs are even more restricting than windows, it is very hard to customize them, they don't even use normal processors (intel, amd, etc.).
PowerPC isn't a "normal" processor? And all newly manufactured Macs use Intel Core 2 Duo processors. (Except for the Mac mini, which uses a Core Duo.) Frankly, your post made no sense.

Hex_Mandos
August 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
But he's right, OSX is a less customizable OS.

Quillz
August 6th, 2007, 04:38 AM
But he's right, OSX is a less customizable OS.
In what ways? Have you used ShapeShifter and GUI kits? There are some very unique OS X themes out there, like Gaia.

kodoku
August 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I love what maddox has to say for Mac users (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant)

HermanAB
August 6th, 2007, 05:12 AM
If someone asks me whether to buy a Mac, I comment "Sure, you'll be very happy with it, but Linux is somewhat easier to use".

Whenever I get to fix something for a Mac user, I notice that he has the *whole desktop* full of icons, since he finds it impossible/frustrating to find anything using the Finder...

Cheers,

Herman

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Uh, what? Apple has taken PARTS (read: Portions, fragments, or other words for segments) of BSD (NOT LINUX) in order to create OS X. According to the BSD license that they used, they're doing more than they have to.

The hardware isn't 'overpriced' but we won't get into that. And the interface is something that '*nix' systems (read: The Linux community) have been trying to duplicate (poorly) for quite some time.

Anyway, back on topic.

The article was really not that great, but I did get a kick out of the disclaimer:

"Some of the crap in ma head. i don’t pretend to know anything about the real deal behind windows, linux or mac."

He doesn't seem to be well informed, and most of his conclusions are misguided and wrong. Although, I think this article highlights a lot of the stigma that pseudo-geeks still believe about all three systems.

Zzl1xndd
August 6th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Uh, what? Apple has taken PARTS (read: Portions, fragments, or other words for segments) of BSD (NOT LINUX) in order to create OS X. According to the BSD license that they used, they're doing more than they have to.

The hardware isn't 'overpriced' but we won't get into that. And the interface is something that '*nix' systems (read: The Linux community) have been trying to duplicate (poorly) for quite some time.

I gotta agree on this Apple makes a good system and a number of people enjoy it. The hardware isn't really overpriced Perhaps priced on the high side but not overly out of line with other computers. If Linux wasn't an Option I would probably use a Mac right now.

ticopelp
August 6th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Some of the crap in ma head.

Well, the author is honest, at least.

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I gotta agree on this Apple makes a good system and a number of people enjoy it. The hardware isn't really overpriced Perhaps priced on the high side but not overly out of line with other computers. If Linux wasn't an Option I would probably use a Mac right now.

Well, some of the things are that Apple uses premium parts for things like graphics and so on. Their computers are design oriented which means that the casing and so on is probably a bit more expensive. Some of the parts are custom created (logic boards, AFAIK are custom, there are some other parts) which means they're probably a bit more costly, and some of the other portions are just exclusive to Apple.

Either way, whenever you're shopping around in the price range that Apple targets, they're going to offer you one of the best deals.

Dimitriid
August 6th, 2007, 06:26 AM

No lets get into it now, how can you possibly justify the prices of those things as not overpriced? How convenient that you "wont get into that" now.

The fact is they are stupidly expensive and there is no two ways about it, you're paying premium price for the same hardware platform. The OS? "PARTS" of BSD is still basically just a Unix system. If they are so good why do they have to take ANY parts of another development branch to make their OS X? I don't see anybody defending the pieces of crap they were passing as operative systems until OS X when they conveniently just copy what *nix has been doing for years.

The whole "Linux is copying the interface" is also a weak argument at best: just because its overhyped on a few places like this forum it automatically equates to the entire Linux userbase?

Zzl1xndd
August 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
No lets get into it now, how can you possibly justify the prices of those things as not overpriced? How convenient that you "wont get into that" now.

The fact is they are stupidly expensive and there is no two ways about it, you're paying premium price for the same hardware platform. The OS? "PARTS" of BSD is still basically just a Unix system. If they are so good why do they have to take ANY parts of another development branch to make their OS X? I don't see anybody defending the pieces of crap they were passing as operative systems until OS X when they conveniently just copy what *nix has been doing for years.

The whole "Linux is copying the interface" is also a weak argument at best: just because its overhyped on a few places like this forum it automatically equates to the entire Linux userbase?

Well How about the fact that the Apple machines come with a large amount of professional grade software like Garage Band and Such. Also the way OSX came about was it evolved from Next step that Jobs was working on after being tossed from Apple. Granted parts of BSD is still a Unix system but they have made Changes and Given back more then BSD requires of them. Now granted I will take it that you don't like OSX or Apple but what difference does it really make if people who do are willing to pay for it?

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 06:54 AM

OK, I did get into it despite my desire not to (read above your post) because it's a big can of worms that really doesn't end with anyone being convinced of anything otherwise.

Also, MOST of OS X is Apple's code AFAIK. The kernel (Not the OS completely, but a very important part of it) is the Darwin kernel I believe. It's based on BSD but it is NOT BSD.

Linux is NOT Unix, and DO not get them confused.

projects like AWN, and other attempts to copy desirable user interfaces from other operating systems receive a lot of attention and use. Not just Apple's dock. Themes to mimic the appearance of Vista has also become pretty popular.

If you'd like to try to argue with me over an IM client, PM, or other manner I'd be more than happy to privately discuss this with you. As you seem to just be itchin' for a fight, I'd be happy to oblige.

Mr.Ganja
August 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM

DOS is for those who want to know why computer does not work

Very funny and so true. But really mac users are a bit how to put it nicely stupid in the area of why their computer works. I have met some mac users and some of them were not very nice to me when i told them about Linux. Just told them, no mac bashing. They believe in the superiority of their systems because they feel like they are fighting MS. My opinion is that Apple's only success in the war against MS is the Ipod. I have one, most of the people i know have one too. The truth is MS does have most of the "Personal Computer" software market. Macs compared to them are pretty much nothing, so is Linux. But MS does not control most of the internet and research computers. That area is mainly Linux/UNIX. One example is my dad's lab at the university, one computer runs Irix the other Red Hat. Those are the only computers running about million dollars of equipment. Also my dad told me he had a choice for one of the computers to be either Mac, Windows, or Linux. He chose Linux because of stability, and cost. The hardware that the linux is installed on has the some power of Mac, but costs less, and Universities always need money. As for that Maddoxx fella, I think that he just likes swearing at people that he has no clue about. That's okay, but i find it rude to just discriminate like that. I know a lot of mac users and they are not always talking about their macs. But there is some truth in Maddoxx's rant, look at the comments on any youtube video about windows. Mac users just can't keep from bashing Bill Gates. I think they do it because they feel weak when faced with his success. Steve Jobs could have done the same great personal computer victory when he had a working GUI, and MS DOS was crappy attempt at an OS, had he only used the advantage he had and sold his OS to other platforms. He did not so now mac users other than admit defeat, just want to insult Bill Gates for his genius in business, not making OSes. Yes, windows is not the greatest OS, it downright sucks in my opinion, but we can't bash Bill Gates for his business prowess. All he did was just jump at the opportunity that Apple ignored. But if Linux did not exist i would have a mac because of security and stability. Thank you for reading and sorry if it's boring.

screaminj3sus
August 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM

They use intel now...