PDA

View Full Version : What has been your Automatix experience?

aysiu
August 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Just a new poll, since the old one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=123569) is... old, and things change.

walkerk
August 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
After all the bad press it's received I wouldn't use it. I downloaded it once.. removed it like 10 minutes later when I was unimpressed.. Not too sure what it has to offer above Synaptic (give the correct repositories..) or of course simply compiling from source.. :O

sailor2001
August 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I've used it with no problems. I think Arnie did a great job

Hex_Mandos
August 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I used it back in Edgy, and I didn't have any problems (I never tried upgrading that install, though). By Feisty, the restricted hardware manager and my better grasp of Linux made it irrelevant, so I don't use it anymore. I was always skeptical of the attacks towards Automatix from many Ubuntu forums members, as they never said WHAT was wrong with it, but the recent technical analysis convinced me that it's not the best solution to the problem at hand.

FuturePilot
August 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I still have had no problems with it.....

SeanHodges
August 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I've always preferred doing things manually, but many don't care for that sort of thing. I used to recommend them Automatix if I wasn't able to help them directly, but I now feel this is probably a bad practice because I don't use it myself and can't guarantee that it is safe, and some of the risen issues are quite compelling.

I've also come across an interesting article regarding Automatix and it's relationship with EasyUbuntu here: http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/HtmlDocs/ch07.html. I can't promise the article is NPOV but well worth a read.

All of this aside. There is very little demand for apps like EasyUbuntu and Automatix anymore:
1. Most codecs now install on demand.
2. Restricted drivers are now handled with a built-in manager.
3. Most applications are provided either in the repos or as debs on the projects website or getdeb.net.
4. For whats left, there are clear instructions on how to get things working on the wiki, and plenty of help on the forums.

I just don't think there is a demand for these utilities anymore, although I am grateful for their existence in the past as they have helped a lot of my friends get things working without my help.

g2g591
August 5th, 2007, 10:37 PM
i used it once, then it "dissappeared". it was just as easy to install things manually so I've never missed it

kelvin spratt
August 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
never had a problem only use it for one thing i think its all a myth and got out of hand on this forum,

topbot
August 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I used it but ran into Automatix-related problems:-) I found it rather inconvenient to have two unsyncronised package managers (Automatix and apt) running on the same system. Like I would remove the package with apt-get and Automatix still thinks it's there.

Medieval_Creations
August 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I've used it in the past with no problems. I still prefer to install things myself, but I can see how a novice, noob, or someone that doesn't have the time to figure everything out could still benefit from it.

King_Critter
August 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I've installed it twice -- once on edgy, once on feisty -- and never had any problems. True, I could do everything manually... but I'm lazy. :P

RAV TUX
August 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I used it once a while ago, it didn't work...to be safe I did a clean install of Ubuntu...

I never ventured into finding out why it didn't work, and it has been so long ago it is probably irrelevant.

Judging from the latest reports on Automatix from Matthew Garrett (http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html), I most likely will not be trying it again unless something changes officially.

reference this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=517202&page=13) also.

smoker
August 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM
i've installed it around a dozen times on my own and other's computers, never had a problem, i appreciate it and will use it again, and a big thankyou to the creators of it.

UbLnoy
August 6th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I don't understand all the venom.

I've used it. It worked great. Absolutely no
problems.

I'm very grateful to the Automatix folks.

jrusso2
August 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Despite all the arnie boy hate I have used it with no issues. In fact I had issues with the synpatic install of nvidia but fixed it with automatix

wolfen69
August 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM
ntfs config and ntfs 3g never work right for me, so i get automatix for the automount feature. i could do it myself, but, like others i'm lazy. it's an easy way to get opera too while i have it opened.

PartisanEntity
August 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I used it a few times when I was new to Ubuntu. IMO there really is no longer a need for it since the installation of many applications is becoming easier and easier with each release. Now that I am more experienced I prefer to install things manually.

Tux Aubrey
August 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I used it to install graphics drivers and codecs with no problems - until my upgrade from edgy to feisty totally borked. I'm not absolutely sure that it was automatix-related, but the error messages did related to unofficial repositories.

As others have said, this is pretty much history now. It does very little that is not as easy, and safer, with officially supported methods.

jamienos
August 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I installed it once, but never actually used/opened it and uninstalled it after - read to much that it can mess up the whole system so i dident even want to go there

I can get everything myself with apt and such, but i just wanted to see what it had really

jusmurph
August 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I used it, never had any problems with it... though projects like getdeb etc really make it obsolete.

Outrunner
August 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Other

I used to use it, but I'm no longer going to use it, because I don't need to use it any more. I haven't had any problems with it though, and I think it's a nice program.

AndyCooll
August 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I voted I've used it and think it's great.

Similar to what quite a few others are saying, in actual fact I no longer use it. When I used it I had no problems. I've simply moved on and now prefer to install everything myself (mainly via Synaptic).

:cool:

Incense
August 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I used it a long time ago, back with 5.10 . I didn't have a problem with it at all. I really don't understand all the hate behind it.

handy
August 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I voted used it, no problems.

I'm grateful for it too it made my early days easier.

I won't use it in the future, due to understanding more about how to do things manually now, & also realizing that I had developed a lazy habit.

ltk5
August 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I used it, it's simple and clicky :D thst was actually the only reason I used it.
I don't need it anymore, but I still keep it installed.

notwen
August 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
.deb files, apt-get -X- and the occasional compiling from source for me. =]

ZipoTe
August 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
When I was a noob it saved me. Now I don't use Automatix but I think for someone who is starting in Linux is a great tool.

wh0rd
August 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Automatix puts in the nook and cranny that Ubuntu forgets. Like Numlock, Alt+Ctrl+Del for gnome-system-monitor. It's never broken my system. Not once since Hoary Hedgehog.

rohan000
August 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I did not know how to make Firefox use the mplayer plugin instead of the totem plugin (which doesn't work). So I uninstalled all the plugins through Synaptic and then just re-installed them in Automatix and it automatically fixed them in Firefox.
I don't understand why people say you can do everything that Automatix does from Synaptic, because I couldn't do this through Synaptic.
But after reading everywhere how dangerous Automatix is, I have uninstalled it.

TheSpecs
August 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Well i mainly use Ubuntu as a server but run the full version with the GUI on my more powerful computer, and i have to say i think it would take the fun out of things. I love doing stuff via the terminal, you feel a real sense of achievement when you install something manually, rather than by a GUI. Plus i have heard it can mess up your system etc. :)

a12ctic
August 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I used it once and found it to just be a nusiesance, I prefer doing it myself I guess?

insane_alien
August 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM
i used to use it and i did encounter some problems. not sure if they were automatix related or not but now i use my own custom install script when ever i have to make a fresh install.

it is a simple script, it provides a list of software that i commonly use in the command line i select what i want and it goes and gets it if its not in the repositories. it just follows the instructions for the manual installation.

haven't encountered anyproblems beyond a few typos in the script which were promptly fixed.

aysiu
August 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I did not know how to make Firefox use the mplayer plugin instead of the totem plugin (which doesn't work). So I uninstalled all the plugins through Synaptic and then just re-installed them in Automatix and it automatically fixed them in Firefox.
I don't understand why people say you can do everything that Automatix does from Synaptic, because I couldn't do this through Synaptic.
But after reading everywhere how dangerous Automatix is, I have uninstalled it.
It can be done through Synaptic. I know, because I've done it.

You uninstall the totem-mozilla package, and you install the mozilla-mplayer and mplayer-fonts.

Sunflower1970
August 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
When I was a noob it saved me. Now I don't use Automatix but I think for someone who is starting in Linux is a great tool.

Same here. I used it in Edgy for nVidia drivers for my old card (GeForce3 Ti500). I tried using Envy, tried downloading them from the nVidia site and installing them, but nothing worked. I also used them for my other nVidia card the 7600GT just because it was easier at that moment. Once I moved to Feisty, I didn't need AX any more for anything.

I always made sure to uninstall everything I had installed with AX before any big upgrades that could mess up my system, then after the upgrade, I'd reinstall everything back. Never had a problem. (except once...but I'm not sure that was AX related. Didn't really matter because it was a test system anyway and I've screwed that one up so many times and had to reinstall it could have been just about anything :) )

tashmooclam
August 8th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Since I was up late at night when I installed everything to make Ubuntu "complete" for me, I don't remember whether or not I even used Automatix. Maybe I did for googleearth?
But I got Automatix based on the reading I did here. If I had known more the first few hours using Ubuntu, I would not have installed it. I think I assumed Automatix was part of "missing" Ubuntu, like Flash, etc. and I needed to get it.
Should I delete Automatix now?
Is it very stubborn to delete?
Is it safe to leave it there and never use it?
:confused:

skwishybug
August 8th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Never used it, never had a desire to use it. Not from the bad press but since there is more than enough help on the forums to install just about anything you might need if it isn't in synaptic.

And I've learned more about Linux by compiling from source and tinkering with settings than I probably would have from something that does it for me.

dasunst3r
August 8th, 2007, 05:34 AM
The only thing I didn't like about Automatix was the fact that it installed programs in bundles, and some programs in said bundles were unnecessary to me. The time I allegedly saved from Automatix was gone from me having to hunt down the unnecessary programs and uninstalling them. Other than that, Automatix has not broken my Linux installs. Nevertheless, those who are serious about delving into Linux's intricacies should go to www.ubuntuguide.org instead.

K.Mandla
August 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I used Automatix a few times almost two years ago, and I had no problems. I left it when I realized I wasn't learning anything about Linux -- I was just installing things by pressing buttons.

I don't endorse it, but I don't dissuade people from using it. I think it fills a need, but I also think it's important to know the weaknesses of Automatix, and understand why it has such a strong base of critics.

jrusso2
August 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM
For all the screaming about the faults of automatix the poll so far seems to indicate that people are satisfied with it and like it. So far only ten people have indicated that they had automatix related problems, while 60 have said they have had no problems or they are unrelated.

So maybe Ubuntu might think about doing something similar, instead of being so quick to toss out the idea.

steven8
August 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think I've posted this in about 5 threads now - I've used it with no issues whatsoever. I think it's a great utility and endorse it.

Now, this is the last time i'm going to say it.

jkdub
August 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I used it after installing Feisty. It works perfecly for me.

Knowing what I know now I don't think I'll need it in the future.

ed-j
August 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I used AX to install Google Earth about 300 installations and several hard-drives ago. Possibly January 2007? Since then I have learned to install all the apps' I need in Feisty, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS. Fedora 7 is my "sweetheart" at the moment.

I got no problems from either the installation of AX or the use of it, and at that time I was a Total Novice. Now, I'm a self-styled Novice! :)

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I used ubuntu for over a year and installed plenty of things including proprietary garbage and drivers, I never felt the need for automatix

joep
August 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I use it and have had no problems updating. It converted me to Ubuntu.

EndPerform
August 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
For all the screaming about the faults of automatix the poll so far seems to indicate that people are satisfied with it and like it. So far only ten people have indicated that they had automatix related problems, while 60 have said they have had no problems or they are unrelated.

So maybe Ubuntu might think about doing something similar, instead of being so quick to toss out the idea.

The options are really diluted, to be honest. As of right now, you have 63 who use it and like it to 80 of the other responses, so I'd say the opposite is true. If the poll were say "Did Automatix work for you? Yes, No, Other", then you might have a better idea.

Back to the topic at hand. I'd rather install myself, that way I know exactly what's going into my system and what has changed. The HOWTOs here, the Ubuntu Guide and the wiki are all great resources of learning, which any user should at least make themselves familiar with. I'm all for making Linux more user-friendly, but I'd rather not see it come at the expense of users' installs. While it may work for some, it hasn't for others. Recently, someone reviewed Automatix from a technical standpoint and based on that and my past experiences, I definitely will not recommend it.

You can read the Automatix review here (http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html)

Give it a read and decide for yourself if it's worth the risks.

tashmooclam
August 9th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Is removing Automatix recommended if you no longer use it?

sunexplodes
August 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I used Automatix a lot when I was first learning how to use the Ubuntu OS, but I think it's unnessicary, now that i know how to use the package management tools and I'm aware of getdeb.net.

SeanHodges
August 9th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Is removing Automatix recommended if you no longer use it?

From what I've read Automatix does not inform the proper package managers where it has dumped all the files. So you are probably best sticking with Automatix on your computer until you can reinstall Ubuntu. Unless, of course, you are confident you will not want to uninstall the applications you have installed through Automatix.

Automatix will not harm you system by existing on it. The harm can come if you use it to install software, but this is mainly if you perform certain other tasks at the same time (some of which you may not be aware you are running, such as automatic updates).

Read http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html and decide if you wish to remove it (but remember that the applications you installed with it will need to be uninstalled first)

TheKid965
August 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM
On this, my latest attempt to install Ubuntu (7.04) on this very stubborn box, I decided I would take the warnings about Automatix to heart and avoid using it this go-around, choosing instead to install missing codecs and non-Free packages manually, though Medibuntu and other such repos.

For the most part it's been extremely smooth sailing, and I find I haven't missed Automatix much if at all. The only time I found I needed packages Automatix provided was when I needed to install read/write support for NTFS partitions; I tried following the "proper" instructions for how to enable this, but it didn't work. Frustrated, I put Automatix on and installed it through that; however, keeping in mind the warnings I'd heard, as soon as that package was installed Automatix and its listings in /etc/apt/sources.list were off my system.

So, bottom line, I don't think the tool is necessary anymore - but there are still some instances where it can be helpful. (Note I do not say the "best" or even "only" solution to even specialized problems, as even my issue with NTFS support probably could have been overcome without resorting to Automatix, if I'd simply had more competence on my end.)

As for the Arnieboy hate, I'll have to decline comment. Though I can totally get behind refusing to use a program or tool based on the high-minded arrogance of its author - being familiar with Tuomo Valkonen's recent meltdown regarding ion3 - but I can honestly claim that I've not personally experienced this except through what I read here. Still, if he really is as bad as what I've read...

In any event, I don't believe Automatix is necessary any more, at least not in Feisty. It already ships with most of what you might need in terms of "restricted" drivers and whatnot, and with proper pointers to these forums and other HOWTOs it shouldn't be much of an issue to install grey-area stuff like codecs either. If Automatix has any advantages at all, it is in being a one-stop shop for these "missing" files... but even there, the time saved is mostly lost trying to undo some of the quirkier things its packages might do to your system.

zero244
August 10th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Ive used it on Edgy and Feisty and it has worked very well. Its the easiest way to get all your partitions mounted, including your ntfs partitions.
The video drivers work good.
Very handy program.

SeanHodges
August 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM
As for the Arnieboy hate, I'll have to decline comment. Though I can totally get behind refusing to use a program or tool based on the high-minded arrogance of its author - being familiar with Tuomo Valkonen's recent meltdown regarding ion3 - but I can honestly claim that I've not personally experienced this except through what I read here. Still, if he really is as bad as what I've read...

I keep hearing about this arnieboy "hate" but I haven't seen much hate bth. I see a lot of people concerned because of things they have read about Automatix, and a number of people stating they would not use it again. But hate?

I think there are some people who want to make it clear they were aware of the problems before the s**t hit the fan, but the worst comments have been regarding a lack of interest from arnieboy to accept patches and help from other community members. While this is an unorthodox approach to open-source programming (assuming it is true), it is not a requirement...

I'm not trying to defend arnieboy, just trying to clarify some things I've noticed are cropping up a lot that I feel are inaccurate.

Above all TheKid965, it's good to hear you had very little trouble getting things up and running without Automatix, NTFS support has never been an issue for me, but I've heard of many people having issues in the past, I feel it's definitely something worth reporting in Launchpad.

MozartlovesUbun2
August 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
HI, I'm a ubuntu/linux newbie,
problem with my Dell (see specs below) is that I had a black screen when installing feisty, (this is a known problem, i guess coz of my graphic card) so i had to get the alternative feisty cd, do the install and then run some scripts for updates, so i searched the web for help and came here to http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/ put in the commands and the script started running and downloaded a massive amount of stuff!
well after about what seemed like ages

http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/

I saw it installed Automatix as well (also ATi drivers, Compiz/Beryl running smoothly)
so I used the options from Automatix to install other apps

the question is: is Automatix recommendable, what are the other better options?

does it create problems when updating to another release, as from soon Feisty to Gusty?

so what are your tips and experience with Automatix?

deserthowler
August 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I enabled all of the repositories, universe, multiverse, etc. With some searching I found everything I needed. It might have been a little more difficult than Auitomatix but I had Automatix break an install once and that was a LOT of trouble.

Earl

obscur156
August 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I have read that automatix can break your ubuntu.

You can install the same apps that are in automatix with the native tools in ubuntu.
You can use ADD/REMOVE or SYNAPTIC MANAGER or even the TERMINAL.
I would not recommend automatix...Stay away from it but thats just me.

Just try to learn how to use the tools in ubuntu.
By the way welcome to ubuntu forum budy.I am sure you will love UBUNTU.
Have fun with your new Distro.
Best regards.:)

r4ik
August 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Try,

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

Good luck !

justleen
August 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM
i've never used Automatx myself.. As said above, just enable all reposistories, and you can install everything yourself through apt or synaptics..

Automatix just speeds up this proccess for you.

scheuri
August 29th, 2007, 08:16 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=492734

I personally would NOT use Automatix and the like (see my post in the mentioned thread). There are a lot of manuals out there who will help you step by step to install whatever you want (and the forum is glad to help in any other case).

If you choose to stay on the "standard" side chances to get help are way higher than if you use inofficial 3rd party software and tools.

But that is just me...

regards
stefan

Artificial Intelligence
August 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Automatix

From Official Ubuntu, and I quote:

Please note that Automatix2 is a third-party utility, developed and maintained independently by the [WWW] Automatix Team and is not supported nor recommended by Ubuntu.

Package fails to conform to Debian or Ubuntu policy.

Has been reported to cause problems with upgrading to newer versions of Ubuntu (ie. Dapper to Edgy).

Does not warn you before overwriting files.

May save files with incorrect permissions.

May allow users to interfere with other users files.

Installs truecrypt suid root (security issue).

Deletes lines from fstab replacing them with device nodes rather than UUIDs.

lisati
August 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I haven't actually used Automatix, but have read that some people seem to have trouble with it. I tend to use the Add/Remove menu, with apt-get and/or aptitude from a terminal when required.

schorsch
August 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I am running Ubuntu on the same hardware (o.k. the graphic crad is a x1300) and I was able to get everything up and running without using automatix. I even never tried Automatix as I heard about the disadvantages. So just take a look around in the forum, everything you need is available here.

MozartlovesUbun2
August 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM
yup thanks for the replies,

on my first getting to know linux/ubuntu I had "EasyUbuntu" on my Dapper Drake , yup i was happy, then later Automatix came along and i put that on too, well it crashed my dapper (easyubuntu & automatix didn't go along well together, but i didnt see that coming) learned it the hard way, well anyway i went back to using XP/Vista, waiting for ubuntu to improve, but i learned something else which is that i had to change my habits and shake off the windows thinking to make use of any linux distro, so i'm back now with feisty and eager to learn.

as all my mp3 collections are still on NTFS, i used automatix to install the necessary read/write drivers, but feisty didnt give me write permission, well i messed something inside the automatix NTFS tool changing "ro" to "rw" now it won't accept mounting my external USB drive.

i thought Automatix might have improved now and well integrated into ubuntu, but i guess as you all say there is no need for it, so that's good, i'll read up and see how to get the stuff as you mentioned, thanks.

Sef
August 29th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Almost all the codecs are easy to install via Add/Remove.

hyper_ch
August 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Well, I have to say in the beginning I also used automatix and it made certain things a lot simpler... however as I learned more and also read it can break the system (especially the older versions of Automatix) I just invested more time on learning how to do it differently.

Most of the stuff you find in some repositories. You can use this generator to create your own sources.list with the desired repos:

http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/source-o-matic/

I use them all except for the bleedings edge KDE/kOffice/amarok and the beryl one.

Once you have enabled those repos you can get almost everything that automatix offers by synaptic or the terminal based programs apt-get/aptitude.

You can also have a read here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519872

amitroy5
August 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I do not use Automatix because of the fear that the software might break critical componetents of my OS, thus rendering it useless. It is better to configure each thing manually and search and add repos to install software. It works the best.

Artificial Intelligence
August 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I do not use Automatix because of the fear that the software might break critical componetents of my OS, thus rendering it useless. It is better to configure each thing manually and search and add repos to install software. It works the best.

+1

More control to the user :KS

Sain
August 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Well, nothing particularly bad can happen... So I say, if Automatix works for you - use it! I used it and never had problems, but yes, it's reported that can cause trouble.
But still worth of try if you ask me...

I don't know of any alternative to Automatix, but manual install via Synaptic isn't much harder.

southernman
August 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
+1 Aptitude, Synaptic, Add/Remove = User Control

If you have trouble installing something... I think you see that you be able to get plenty of help here on the forum.

gn2
August 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I use Automatix.
I like Automatix.
Recently I did a full clean re-install and I tried to do it without using Automatix.
All went well till I tried to use Amarok.
Amarok wouldn't work and gave an error message that it didn't have mp3 support.
I was surprised by this, as I had installed all codecs by the instructions in the sticky thread on this forum.
After mucking around for a while trying to fix it, I gave in and installed Automatix, which I used to install codecs and such like.
After doing so Amarok worked properly.
As far as Automatix potentially "breaking" things, I have yet to encounter any such problem.
So long as you have all your files backed up, if Automatix breaks anything, worst case scenario, it's straightforward to just do a clean re-install which wouldn't take very long.
I don't see why Ubuntu can't offer a fully featured version like other Distros do.

hyper_ch
August 29th, 2007, 09:51 AM
If amarok does not play mp3 then you did not install all codecs...

ubuntu offers a fully featured version of FREE software ;)

gn2
August 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
If amarok does not play mp3 then you did not install all codecs...

ubuntu offers a fully featured version of FREE software ;)

Strangely enough the required mp3 codecs were installed, because I could play mp3's with other apps, just not Amarok.
After installing Automatix and getting it to add codecs Amarok worked.
The FREE software is entirely useless to the bulk of "home" users without the "non-free" software.
Which is why I do not recommend Ubuntu to first time Linux users.
EDIT: Since I found out about the ubuntu-restricted-extras meta-package I am confident recommending Ubuntu to new Linux users.

carusoswi
September 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
HI, I'm a ubuntu/linux newbie,
problem with my Dell (see specs below) is that I had a black screen when installing feisty, (this is a known problem, i guess coz of my graphic card) so i had to get the alternative feisty cd, do the install and then run some scripts for updates, so i searched the web for help and came here to http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/ put in the commands and the script started running and downloaded a massive amount of stuff!
well after about what seemed like ages

http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/

I saw it installed Automatix as well (also ATi drivers, Compiz/Beryl running smoothly)
so I used the options from Automatix to install other apps

the question is: is Automatix recommendable, what are the other better options?

does it create problems when updating to another release, as from soon Feisty to Gusty?

so what are your tips and experience with Automatix?

My first Ubuntu install was 6.06 (I believe), then 6.10?? and finally 7.04. Not all the tinkering in the world nor all the helpful hints garnered from this board could get my computer fully functional until I discovered and tried Automatx.

I must have spent a month without a functioning wireless adapter until I tried Automatx which installed it pronto - no problems.
My technical knowledge of Ubuntu/linux isn't sufficient to analyse some of what's said about the disadvantages of Automatx by some of the Ubuntu developers, however, I can judge for myself my experiences and frustrations when I relied soley upon Ubuntu to get things running. Automatx solved problems for me . . . it did not break my machine.

If you do a search on Automatx and read the other side of the story, I think you will have a more balanced picture. From my viewpoint, there is definitely an agenda that is more than technically based and that is why you see so many comments from folks who have "heard" that Automatx can break your machine - this from folks no more technically advanced than me (or they wouldn't have been considering Automatx in the first place.

As for blogs and such offering proof, well, I take it all with a grain of salt. Nothing could more thoroughly break my machine than some of what happened to me before I discovered Automatx. I must have "clean" installed ubuntu 100 times in an attempt to get things like my video and my wireless working.

. . . loaded automatx and no more problems or complications.

One good thing about Ubuntu. No matter how you manage to "break" your installation, re installation is a snap. I say, rather than try to have this Automatx issue sorted out by rumors on this board, try it for yourself. If you don't like it, get rid of it.

Caruso

ebozzz
September 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Here's one person's opinion regarding Automatix...........

Automatix: Package Architecture Could Lead to Serious System Problems (http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html)

When I started with Ubuntu I also used Automatix like many other new users. While I can't say that the application definitely caused any of my systems to break, I can say that I have not had any problems with breaks since I made a clean getaway from Automatix. Prior to that I had run into to multiple times where my system simply would not boot.

Was it Automatix that caused the problems? Who knows but life without it has been just fine. Getting things to work in Ubuntu is not that hard to do. And, this is coming from a person that's not an upper level user!

aysiu
September 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Since this has already turned into discussion, I've merged it with the other, similar thread from the Cafe.

carusoswi
September 10th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Automatix: Package Architecture Could Lead to Serious System Problems (http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html)

When I started with Ubuntu I also used Automatix like many other new users. While I can't say that the application definitely caused any of my systems to break, I can say that I have not had any problems with breaks since I made a clean getaway from Automatix. Prior to that I had run into to multiple times where my system simply would not boot.

Was it Automatix that caused the problems? Who knows but life without it has been just fine. Getting things to work in Ubuntu is not that hard to do. And, this is coming from a person that's not an upper level user!

So, why cite some other person's view of Automatx? That's what makes me think there is an agenda beyond practical experience most users can expect from it. Your experience was not negative - and the negatives you did experience are not conclusively linked to Automatx, yet, you knock it. I wonder why?

Caruso

ebozzz
September 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
So, why cite some other person's view of Automatx? That's what makes me think there is an agenda beyond practical experience most users can expect from it. Your experience was not negative - and the negatives you did experience are not conclusively linked to Automatx, yet, you knock it. I wonder why?

Caruso

First, I never said that my experience was not negative and I did not attack Automatix. I said that during the time that I used the application things happened that I could not say were directly caused by using Automatix. In light of the additional information that has been provided about how the application integrates with Ubuntu, Automatix may very well have been the culprit. Regardless, I no longer need or want it on my machines. I am able to get everything setup very easily using the tools provided within Ubuntu. Maybe it would help if I re-posted my thoughts.....

Bottom line is if you like Automatix and are prepared to accept the potential consequences of using it, go for it! I promise not to be bothered by your choice. Nor do I expect you to be bothered by mine.

Guitar John
November 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
I used Automatix when I was brand new to UBUNTU. I did a clean install when I upgraded to Gutsy. Now I just use
sudo apt-get.

smartboyathome
November 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I voted other because I have never needed to use it. Everything I needed was available already, and anything I wanted I could find in the repository. I guess I am lucky that my school bought one of HP's "linux-compatible" laptops. :)

Gone fishing
December 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
I voted other as I've used it in the past (as it's dead handy) and never had a problem (although I've never upgraded and alway done a clean install). I don't use it now as I can get what I need from the http://medibuntu.org/ repositories.

akiratheoni
December 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM
I used it a bit back then and liked it, but then a couple weeks later I started having unexplainable problems. Now, I'm not sure if it's Automatix, but it could be. I haven't used it since; Ubuntu 7.10 has made things so easy to install that I don't need it.

MozartlovesUbun2
December 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
After all the bad press it's received I wouldn't use it. I downloaded it once.. removed it like 10 minutes later when I was unimpressed.. Not too sure what it has to offer above Synaptic (give the correct repositories..) or of course simply compiling from source.. :O

Automatix has changed a lot now, specially since Gutsy the Automatix people from what I ve read so far have removed the unsafe problem causing stuff and are actually working together with the official Ubuntu developers. so i guess Hardy is gonna see some nice changes too, anyway I think automatix should be ok to use now with Gutsy.

can someone who has more knowledge on this please commet on it, thanks

=================

http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1558

Automatix2 for Ubuntu Gutsy- Released

jtbl

post Sep 27 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Automatix Team Member

A blog has been created where I will write about Automatix. This is where you will be able to find my daily reports from UDS in Boston. The blog is not to be used for filing bug reports and getting support.
http://www.getautomatix.com/blog/

Automatix2 for Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy AMD64, i386) has been released. Read through this post for information regarding this version of Automatix before using it! Remember, Automatix for Gutsy will NOT be backwards compatible with the previous versions. This will require the user to do a clean install for Gutsy or to run Automatix on Feisty and uninstall everything that Automatix has installed before the upgrade. Links to the .debs can be found at the bottom of this post.

Feature list for Gutsy Automatix can be found here: http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?tit...ware_and_Tweaks

Drastic changes have been made to the Gutsy version of Automatix. Here is the list:

Updated Python code
New Bash/XML code
AMD64 will now be the default platform, i386 will be secondary
Support for Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, MEPIS, Debian will be dropped*
Automatix will no longer include options that install/remove/update drivers, anything concerning the kernel and drivers we will leave up to Ubuntu
Automatix will no longer update software found in the Ubuntu repos, unless the package in the repos is broken (only exception is wine)
Automatix will use Swiftweasel for the 32-bit browser on AMD64, Swiftweasel will be available for i386 as well
Automatix for Gutsy will NOT be backwards compatible with the previous versions. This will require the user to do a clean install for Gutsy or to run Automatix on Feisty and uninstall everything that Automatix has installed before the upgrade
New software addition process*
Better collaboration with the community*
Collaboration with Ubuntu developers*

Automatix will no longer use third party repos, thus they will no longer be added to a user's sources.list. The only repos Automatix will add to a users sources.list is the Automatix repo and any Ubuntu repo that is disabled (except for proposed-updates, we wont add that.) We are enacting this new policy to try and keep sources.list editing to a minimum. An example sources.list can be found here: http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?tit..._i386_and_AMD64

I wanted to talk more about our collaboration efforts. With Gutsy, we will be changing the way we add software to Automatix, and what distributions we will support. The only distributions the Automatix Team will support are Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu. The community will support all other distributions. As for the software addition process we will still take request to add certain things to Automatix, and the Automatix Team will code it. We will also start accepting code from the community to add to Automatix. Collaboration with the Ubuntu developers will be improved, for more information on that view the Launchpad spec.

I did also want to answer a common question asked on the Ubuntu Forums. That question is whether or not Automatix breaks systems. Automatix can break systems in some situations. When Automatix is coded and tested we only develop it with the Ubuntu repos and Automatix repo in mind. Most of the breakages occur when Automatix is used along with other third-party repos and installation scripts. Because there are so many third-party repos and installation scripts out there, it is impossible for us to code Automatix to be compatible with all of them. However, with our new community collaboration idea planned for the Gutsy release, compatibility with third party repos and installation scripts should improve. So to answer the question, Automatix is safe as long as you only use the Ubuntu repos and the Automatix repo. Using Automatix with other third-party repos and installation scripts may work sometimes, but greatly increases the chances for something to go wrong.

Link to debs: http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php...le=Installation

MozartlovesUbun2
December 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
good call

One good thing about Ubuntu. No matter how you manage to "break" your installation, re installation is a snap. I say, rather than try to have this Automatx issue sorted out by rumors on this board, try it for yourself. If you don't like it, get rid of it.

Caruso