PDA

View Full Version : Hello---This is my first cup of ubuntu --kubuntu actually

creedog
August 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hello, This is my first post the the forum and my 2nd week running ubuntu.. for the last few years I have been running red hat as its more practical for learning purposes as Red Hat is pretty much the industry standard.

FYI .. I am a Unix/Linux admin.. close to the Jr. level but learning fast.

Anyway. after kicking myself in the pants for weeks at a time trying to get 3d acceleration working on Fedora... I finally was able to get it working by rolling back to fedora 5.. but never being able to get beryl working....I gave up and switched to kubuntu.

I fell in love the first time that I typed ' sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and was greeted with the helpful message that gedit was not installed but I could install it by typing "sudo apt-get install gedit". Not that I did not know that but I was surprised to find that the OS was so helpful.

Anyway - beryl is pretty cool too.

Now what should I try to get into on my fresh install.

jnorthr
August 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Just for laughs you can start getting the sound to work. Most new people have a lot of problems getting their codecs installed and working in order to listen to .mp3's and watch dvds. That will give you a fair intro to installing. Stick with apt-get or synaptics but don't mix and match as they are not interchangable and will baulk if you try to use them together.

And, BTW, welcome aboard ):P

creedog
August 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Sound it working -- got mp3 support and mpg and wmv .
Still looking for a good audio player. Amarok does not seem to want to play mp3s. It tell me that I have no support and then asks if I want to install it and then it hangs.

starcraft.man
August 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Sound it working -- got mp3 support and mpg and wmv .
Still looking for a good audio player. Amarok does not seem to want to play mp3s. It tell me that I have no support and then asks if I want to install it and then it hangs.

Try Banshee, it's my favourite. There is also Listen, Exaile and Rhythmbox of course. All are in the repos under the same names. Oh and if there are any questions, feel free to consult links in my sig, good for getting started.

Oh and welcome to Ubuntu, have fun :).

Nakkis
August 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Install libxine-extracodecs for mp3 support in Amarok. The 'you don't have this codec' dialog crashing is a known bug.

avik
August 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
And by the way, since you're using Kubuntu as oposed to Ubuntu, you'll probably use Kate or KWrite instead of Gedit, which is for GNOME.

walkerk
August 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
You could upgrade Beryl to Compiz Fusion :P

Welcome to the Ubuntu community! :)

creedog
August 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=avik;3138490]And by the way, since you're using Kubuntu as oposed to Ubuntu, you'll probably use Kate or KWrite instead of Gedit, which is for GNOME.[/QUOTE

I actually prefer mousepad, which is xfce, but gedit is pretty easy to type in comparison
:lolflag: