PDA

View Full Version : Utnubu Project

Kyral
July 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20050725#1

Sounds good to me. I hope that is decreases the tensions between the Ubuntu and Debian communities

az
July 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I think the tension to which you refer is greatly exaggerated.

I think most Debian Developers like Ubuntu and can appreciate the effort Canonical is putting in integrating with Debian.

BWF89
July 25th, 2005, 06:28 PM
My question is why would anyone use Debian when they could use Ubuntu. Doesn't Ubuntu take what Debian has to offer and make it better in every way possible?

grim42
July 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM
It's been said many times before, but without Debian there would be no Ubuntu.

Aslo, Debian is probably a better choice for use in many situations -- production servers for example.

Buffalo Soldier
July 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM
My question is why would anyone use Debian when they could use Ubuntu. Doesn't Ubuntu take what Debian has to offer and make it better in every way possible?I don't think it's every way. I'm believe Ubuntu is more focus towards desktop usage.

poofyhairguy
July 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
My question is why would anyone use Debian when they could use Ubuntu. Doesn't Ubuntu take what Debian has to offer and make it better in every way possible?

Nope. Debian stable is true to the name, and Debian unstable has newer stuff that Ubuntu.

The project is a good idea. Yet another thing I will link to when I am fighting ignorant debianites on the web.

az
July 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM

If you do not want proprietary drivers (or proprietairy anything) included in your install, use debian.

Granted, it is easy to remove them from Ubuntu (remove linux-restricted modules) but there are a bunch of non-free packages in Ubuntu (like linux-wlan-ng who's kernel module included unlicenced firmware, for example) It is also easy to include them in debian (just enable non-free)

I ran a debian sarge setup for the longest time without noticing that I only had the main repository enabled. 100% free by default.

craigevil
July 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Personally I use both Debian unstable and Ubuntu.
I use Debian on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop. I enjoy both. There are packages in either one that do not seem to exist in the other. Although with multiverse, universe, and the backports repositories in Ububtu and stable, testing and unstable main contrib nonfree in Debian the number of packages between the two is very close within a couple hundred.

I think the Utunbu project is a great idea. When I saw the article , read the blog and the mailing list posts; I added a link on my Debian Tips and Linux Newbie websites.

The one thing I do not get about Ubuntu is why you can't simply use Debian repositories.

The Ubuntu project is great, the install was very simple and with the add-on cd included everything one could possibly need. Keep up the god work.