PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Cities FireDogs

vwbeamer
August 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM
CC is advertising a free Virus scan and system optimization for your computer if you bring it in.

What's you guess of what would happen if I dropped off my Ubuntu powered Dell Laptop?:)

I think it would be interesting.

nitro_n2o
August 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
looooool
you'll waste your time :P

Motoxrdude
August 5th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I say go for it, im sure you will get a chuckle from it.

loudmouthman
August 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
From experience I would say they will run the ghost install of Windows and then add the drivers and explain that they had to reinstall windows from scratch for some daft reason.

Quillz
August 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
They'd probably be honest and say they hadn't found any spyware.

happy-and-lost
August 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Wow. PCWorld here in the UK charge £70 (US$130) for that.

smoker
August 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
CC is advertising a free Virus scan and system optimization for your computer if you bring it in.

What's you guess of what would happen if I dropped off my Ubuntu powered Dell Laptop?:)

I think it would be interesting.

i think they would realise when booting the computer whether it had windows or not.

if any windows users want a free scan try these:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

EndPerform
August 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't trust my machine to them, GeekSquad or anything of the like. Chances are, they would either tell you they don't support it or else they might blow an install of Windows on it and charge you for it.

Turboaaa2001
August 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I used to work as a FireDog for CC.

What would have happend if brought in is it would be turned away. If pushed we would have taken it and left it under the desk for a day then said we could not do anything because it's Linux. (This is assuming it was going to be free anyway)

The only thing that would have been tried if anything is booting off WinPE and seeing that the filesystem is not supported. Basically being pointless.

As far as trust? Geek Squad has no idea what they are doing. If you watch them they use step by step instructions and will not deviate.

You would think that good, but if you bring in a computer that just needs more memory, a defrag, and virus scan then GS would follow all these steps which could take a long time.

VS

FD would scan the memory for defects, install the extra memory, scan the HD for defects, scan for viruses, and defrag in that order.

So you can see that GS would do all the work with less memory taking longer where FD would install the memory ASAP to increase productivity.

In anycase if you can do it your self, do it!

Compucore
August 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Most of the techs that are working in Geek Squad and in firedog only know the windows environment or the combination of windows and Mac OS depending where you go. And with present tech and geeks here on the forum not being included into that pool. Know a little bit more than the average tech in these stores. Each of our own computers that we all have are unique to what each of our needs. It is easier for them the big box stores to use these guys for strictly windows and Macs and offer that. for those who are using either the windows or the mac environment. And not offer it to people like ourselfs here who are using an alternative that we find more useful than with windows. And when asking about certain things like video cards,motherboards, They have no clue with the exception of looking on the box cover to see if its works only with windows.

Compucore