PDA

View Full Version : The Next Release

zirus1701
July 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Will the next release of Ubuntu have all the sound problems this release has? Is that something the development team is working on?

Lowe
July 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yes, you can almost guarantee those will be fixed in the next version.

somuchfortheafter
July 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
yea i think esd was more trouble than it was worth... i kept having to run killall esd at every startup, finally moved it to be automatically run at login.

Burgundavia
July 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Breezy has already fixed these issues. Basically they introduced ALSA dmix. This allows non-esd programs to continue to use the sound card. The esd server is left for those apps that use it. It works quite well.

The reason it was not implemented earlier was due to certain sound cards having sound degradation with dmix enabled.

Corey

ubuntu_demon
July 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Breezy has already fixed these issues. Basically they introduced ALSA dmix. This allows non-esd programs to continue to use the sound card. The esd server is left for those apps that use it. It works quite well.

The reason it was not implemented earlier was due to certain sound cards having sound degradation with dmix enabled.

Corey
do you have any idea of ET + teamspeak running at the same time works if you have onboard audio ?

see :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=254384

az
July 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM

Corey

Thank you Corey, I did not know that. Is this in kernel space or userspace? Basically, what can I backport to enable dmix in Hoary?