PDA

View Full Version : Who else is really excited for KDE 4?

Skeith
August 5th, 2007, 03:03 AM
When the goals were first announced it seemed like KDE was putting the world on its shoulders, but it all seems to have turned out nicely. I'm more exciting to see how all the new technology under the hood will turn out. They've tried to drastically simplify doing things that are normally difficult, and make them work universally.

Decibel sounds especially interesting, at first I thought it was KDE specific. But it's desktop agnostic and builds on top of telepathy to make creating IM applications much easier. Plus it can work with the desktops PIM to store contact information.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
When the goals were first announced it seemed like KDE was putting the world on its shoulders, but it all seems to have turned out nicely. I'm more exciting to see how all the new technology under the hood will turn out. They've tried to drastically simplify doing things that are normally difficult, and make them work universally.

Decibel sounds especially interesting, at first I thought it was KDE specific. But it's desktop agnostic and builds on top of telepathy to make creating IM applications much easier. Plus it can work with the desktops PIM to store contact information.

Brrrrrrr, it's just a DE and Application Framework for god sake. The high-level application devs will be happy because things will be easy for them but for the end-users???

will kde4 enable the end-users to use the lexmark printers? connecting to netmeeting sessions? providing true h.264 codec?

It's just shiny API upon shiny API upon shiny API. hal on top of hals. layer of top of layers of layers.

Sorry, but for me, the word technology means an entirely different thing than pretty colourful icons.

When will I have real suspend-to-disk functionality? when will Ubuntu fix the dvd-burning issues in feisty? (apparently not in gutsy.) when will we have MPEG4 off-loading on nvidia cards a-la purevideo?

It's always the same thing: It makes me laugh when people says that k3b is the best disc-burning app. The damn thing doesn't even know how to burn discs!!! it doesn't talk mmc, the disc-burning commands set :D

Andrewie
August 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Brrrrrrr, it's just a DE and Application Framework for god sake. The high-level application devs will be happy because things will be easy for them but for the end-users???

will kde4 enable the end-users to use the lexmark printers? connecting to netmeeting sessions? providing true h.264 codec?

It's just shiny API upon shiny API upon shiny API. hal on top of hals. layer of top of layers of layers.

Sorry, but for me, the word technology means an entirely different thing than pretty colourful icons.

When will I have real suspend-to-disk functionality? when will Ubuntu fix the dvd-burning issues in feisty? (apparently not in gutsy.) when will we have MPEG4 off-loading on nvidia cards a-la purevideo?

It's always the same thing: It makes me laugh when people says that k3b is the best disc-burning app. The damn thing doesn't even know how to burn discs!!! it doesn't talk mmc, the disc-burning commands set :D

if your having problems with ubuntu switch distro, don't complain here complain on the message board or report bugs, if that doesn't work switch distro. That solved a ton of my problems.

KDE 4 is more then just some shinny graphics. With xine you can set the video driver to use opengl, I'm not sure if it render the video using opengl but I say an improvement when watching a few HD video. I'm too lazy to talk about the rest of your issues so I'm just going to pretend you don't exist.

*goes back to his KDE4 circle jerk forum

Has anyone tried Cnuth (beta 1), I tried alpha 2 dolphin looked really good but nothing else was really ready.

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=KDE%204.0%20Beta%2 01

those are a few screenshots, it doesn't have any of the new theme so it still looks like kde 3 (kind of). This also doesn't have the new kicker.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/269/oxygencurrentpa9.th.png (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oxygencurrentpa9.png)

I believe this picture is how the new interface is actually going to look (not a mock-up). This was a random post in the digg comment so I can't prove if its actually true. This image reminds me of the kde plastic theme, the gnome look, the Vista look, and the OS X all at the same time :confused:

original link to image (http://www.petervajda.com/oxygen_current.png)

P.S. I know I need a hobby....

omns
August 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM
yawn, kde4 leaves me cold

Quillz
August 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM
KDE 4 is looking nice, although what Kubuntu distro would be likely to include it by default?

EdThaSlayer
August 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I can't wait till KDE4, the eye candy is what attracts me to it. Also, they said it would be less bulky(no more programs that you never use).

v8YKxgHe
August 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM
if your having problems with ubuntu switch distro, don't complain here complain on the message board or report bugs, if that doesn't work switch distro. That solved a ton of my problems.

KDE 4 is more then just some shinny graphics. With xine you can set the video driver to use opengl, I'm not sure if it render the video using opengl but I say an improvement when watching a few HD video. I'm too lazy to talk about the rest of your issues so I'm just going to pretend you don't exist.

*goes back to his KDE4 circle jerk forum

Has anyone tried Cnuth (beta 1), I tried alpha 2 dolphin looked really good but nothing else was really ready.

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=KDE%204.0%20Beta%2 01

those are a few screenshots, it doesn't have any of the new theme so it still looks like kde 3 (kind of). This also doesn't have the new kicker.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/269/oxygencurrentpa9.th.png (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oxygencurrentpa9.png)

I believe this picture is how the new interface is actually going to look (not a mock-up). This was a random post in the digg comment so I can't prove if its actually true. This image reminds me of the kde plastic theme, the gnome look, the Vista look, and the OS X all at the same time :confused:

original link to image (http://www.petervajda.com/oxygen_current.png)

P.S. I know I need a hobby....

Yep, that screenshot is of the theme that KDE4 will use - which I'm a little disappointed in, mostly with the widgets. The way they are shaped and the style they have just remind me of Motif, and that is not nice!

Rhapsody
August 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
KDE 4 is looking nice, although what Kubuntu distro would be likely to include it by default?
With the current targeted release date (23 October, five days after Gutsy), I'd initially think Gutsy+1, but that's likely to be a Long Term Support release, so it may end up in Gutsy+2 instead.

curuxz
August 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
With the current targeted release date (23 October, five days after Gutsy), I'd initially think Gutsy+1, but that's likely to be a Long Term Support release, so it may end up in Gutsy+2 instead.

Son of a....

I hope your wrong (no offense!) and its much much much sooner, as a long time kubuntu user I have waited for kde 4 for probs 3-4 years now knowing they HAD to do something better :)

tseliot
August 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Exactly it's just a desktop environment

Drivers and codecs don't seem to have much to do with a DE, I guess.

When will I have real suspend-to-disk functionality?
Ask kernel developers.

when will Ubuntu fix the dvd-burning issues in feisty? (apparently not in gutsy.)
It works fine here. Can you post a link to the bug in Launchpad?

when will we have MPEG4 off-loading on nvidia cards a-la purevideo?
I think you should ask Nvidia about this (their driver is proprietary)

tseliot
August 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Son of a....

I hope your wrong (no offense!) and its much much much sooner, as a long time kubuntu user I have waited for kde 4 for probs 3-4 years now knowing they HAD to do something better :)
KDE4 will still be available but won't be Kubuntu's default DE.

curuxz
August 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
KDE4 will still be available but won't be Kubuntu's default DE.

A phew!!!

Thought that would be the case, so long as its a nice clean move to it :D

Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! I have been a KDE user since I was 11 years old (red hat 3) and I think 9 years on its finally going to come of age with the new framework of version 4

Jucato
August 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Gutsy+2 will definitely have KDE 4.x (whether that's 4.0.x or 4.1.x) by default since:

1. Gutsy will be out on the same month as KDE 4.0, leaving virtually no time to integrate KDE 4.0 into Gutys well
2. Gutsy+1 will be LTS

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that Kubuntu will not be releasing KDE 4 packages. There is no final decision yet, but packages will definitely be made available from kubuntu.org repositories. There might also be alternate CD's for Kubuntu+KDE 4.

Brrrrrrr, it's just a DE and Application Framework for god sake. The high-level application dvs will be happy because things will be easy for them but for the end-users???
Err... who makes the apps that end-users use? Surprise, surprise! Developers! And yes, end-users do use high-level applications, a.k.a. GUI's.

I can make it easier for end-users gain access to these other technologies. Do end-users setup printers through the command line? Do end-users connect to netmeeting session without a GUI? What do end-users use a h.264 codec for?

For one, you are barking on the wrong tree. You are complaining about issues that 1) KDE cannot directly address (unless the same KDE developer is working on that low-level function) and 2) KDE isn't meant to address.

Which leads to the second thing: that you misunderstand what the whole purpose of a DE and of KDE is about. A DE, and KDE, is not a distro. KDE works to give a graphical user interface experience through libraries, APIs, apps, etc. It makes use of underlying, non-GUI, non-KDE technologies that already exist, like CUPS, codecs, network protocols, video drivers, etc. By providing the apps that end-users use to use these things, KDE helps push and test the limits and indirectly (or directly) helps in their development.

happy-and-lost
August 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
No. It still looks hastily thrown together and entirely unintegrated.

leo_rockway
August 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Which leads to the second thing: that you misunderstand what the whole purpose of a DE and of KDE is about. A DE, and KDE, is not a distro. KDE works to give a graphical user interface experience through libraries, APIs, apps, etc. It makes use of underlying, non-GUI, non-KDE technologies that already exist, like CUPS, codecs, network protocols, video drivers, etc. By providing the apps that end-users use to use these things, KDE helps push and test the limits and indirectly (or directly) helps in their development.

+1

i'm very excited about kde 4... i was thinking of installing beta, but not sure yet... I STILL HATE ATI FOR NO COMPOSITE THO! GRRR :mad:

still... i only used gnome for like 2 seconds and i hated it, but that was 10 years ago, i should give it another try now.

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
No. It still looks hastily thrown together and entirely unintegrated.

Global toolbar controls / spell checking, component use, settings, password manager, etc. One can attack KDE for a lot of things but staing that it lacks integration is ludicrous. KDE has always been on the forefront of integrating its application tightly with the DE due to powerful frameworks.

happy-and-lost
August 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I meant lack of integration in terms of how it looks. There are lots of hard pixellated edges and random uglies.

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519877

happy-and-lost
August 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
*runs from flames* I mean, it doesn't matter how it handles the eventual default theme, it still handles other things poorly. I hope the final release will prove me wrong :)

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM

happy-and-lost
August 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
OK. Look at this screenshot: http://www.imgx.org/public/view/full/1247

It's still got those ugly ^ arrows on the panel, and it still just doesn't look clean (to my eye anyway). If they just clean it up a little, then I'll be very excited indeed.

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
It's a theme. To create a default theme which will apply to all tastes which in turn depend on wildly different cultural and personal backgrounds is next to impossible. There are people who like Oxygen and the new cleaned up defaults. Who's in the right now? Do you think your personal tastes should be forced on each user? Apart from that the screenwhot shows only the new icon theme. Windecs and Widget style are deactivated on the screenshot you provide.

I'm completely lost on people who judge things solely on their looks. KDE brings a lot technical innovations and improvements and there are people who dismiss them because they don't like the default theme. The mind boggles.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
if your having problems with ubuntu switch distro,

Huh! I've never said I have a problem using ubuntu more than any other distros. I've been using linux since the days where there wasn't any distro.

don't complain here complain on the message board or report bugs, if that doesn't work switch distro. That solved a ton of my problems.

your problems! see the difference? Hey, I've reported the bugs (many ppl did.) It took them a while to fix it (usb boot took 2 releases, dvd-burning will probably take 2 releases as well)

KDE 4 is more then just some shinny graphics. With xine you can set the video driver to use opengl, I'm not sure if it render the video using opengl but I say an improvement when watching a few HD video.

rofl!!! how long since we have had xine and opengl in Linux??? for god sake, I can remember when xine start competing with mplayer (and borrowed some code from mplayer!) opengl for video that's older than ubuntu itself! And you claimed that's xine and opengl are new and exciting technologies brought by kde4?!!! :P

Now, where's mpeg4 hw-off-loading? Will KDE4 bring that to us? :)

I'm too lazy to talk about the rest of your issues so I'm just going to pretend you don't exist.

Either you can't read english or you don't understand technology very well, IMNSHO.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Err... who makes the apps that end-users use? Surprise, surprise! Developers! And yes, end-users do use high-level applications, a.k.a. GUI's.

I can make it easier for end-users gain access to these other technologies. Do end-users setup printers through the command line? Do end-users connect to netmeeting session without a GUI? What do end-users use a h.264 codec for?

For one, you are barking on the wrong tree. You are complaining about issues that 1) KDE cannot directly address (unless the same KDE developer is working on that low-level function) and 2) KDE isn't meant to address.

I was just replying to your message:

I'm more exciting to see how all the new technology under the hood will turn out.

I'm not excited about KDE4. Because contrary to what you said, there're no new technology in KDE4. If there was I'd be excited. KDE4 will just bring:

The app devs will probably be excited, but not me!! I'm a techie, real technology make me excited. Shiny GUI? brrrrrr!

The best GUI/DE is the one you barely think about.

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 01:13 PM

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I was not complaining! I was just showing that, contrary to what the OP said, there's no new technology in KDE4 because fundamentally it's just a DE and the AppFramework for that DE. It's an awsome DE, but new technology it has none!

Exactly it's just a desktop environment

Drivers and codecs don't seem to have much to do with a DE, I guess.

Ask kernel developers.

It works fine here. Can you post a link to the bug in Launchpad?

I think you should ask Nvidia about this (their driver is proprietary)

Jucato
August 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I was just replying to your message:

Oh really? I said that? Unless you have super cow powers to modify my posts, I don't see anywhere that I said that.

I'm not excited about KDE4. Because contrary to what you said, there're no new technology in KDE4. If there was I'd be excited.

Either you're not looking close enough or have decided not to. You know why? Because everything up to just a few months ago was about non-shiny stuff. And yet you seem to see or focus only on appearances. Plasma and KWin, what you probably see as shiny, aren't the only things that have happened for KDE 4.

The app devs will probably be excited, but not me!! I'm a techie, real technology make me excited. Shiny GUI? brrrrrr!

What I can't understand is your failure to see how "excited app devs" affect "end-users".

The best GUI/DE is the one you barely think about.

I fail to see any connection to your argument.

Of course, it probably just depends on your idea of "new technology". It seems that to you, new technology for the desktop isn't new technology at all. A very limited view of technology, IMHO.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I fail to see any connection to your argument.

Hmm, repeat after me: if a great DE was the one you'd barely think about then how could one be excited about a great DE, eh?

Of course, it probably just depends on your idea of "new technology". It seems that to you, new technology for the desktop isn't new technology at all. A very limited view of technology, IMHO.

Yeah, inventing a new KDE wrapper API on top of gstreamer so KDE apps won't have to use the (GStreamer's) GNOME API is new technology!

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
And what's "real technology" supposed to be, compared to non-real technology, Mr. techie?

http was a new technology (when it was invented) by Tim. What was not a technology, imo, is what Microsoft said to the judge: "... Don't confuse other's browser with our browsing technology!"

Of course, it's just my opinion, and you have every right to disagree with me and agree with microsoft!:P

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Oh really? I said that? Unless you have super cow powers to modify my posts, I don't see anywhere that I said that.

My apologies, I misquoted you. It was the OP.

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM

SunnyRabbiera
August 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I am both excited but skeptical, KDE is promising but I am wondering if it would actually improve anything.
Sure KDE has a lot of nice features but it comes at a cost in memory.
for lower end computers gnome still might be a viable DE or even XFCE
KDE will have a lot preloaded in KDE 4 and that will be a killer on lower end compys.

needtolookatascreenshot
August 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Sure KDE has a lot of nice features but it comes at a cost in memory.
for lower end computers gnome still might be a viable DE or even XFCE
KDE will have a lot preloaded in KDE 4 and that will be a killer on lower end compys.

All this nonsense about KDE having a greater memory consumption than GNOME is like a Hydra. For every person you correct there's bound to be dozens of others already preparing to spread this kind of misinformation. Tests from both KDE and GNOME developer showed that they are using an almost equal amount of memory, give or take a few MB depending on the the applications you use. GeneralZod posted some corresponding links so if you are interested about educating yourself a little look for Zod's post concerning KDE and ressources, I'm not in the mood to do this right now.

GeneralZod
August 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM
All this nonsense about KDE having a greater memory consumption than GNOME is like a Hydra. For every person you correct there's bound to be dozens of others already preparing to spread this kind of misinformation. Tests from both KDE and GNOME developer showed that they are using an almost equal amount of memory, give or take a few MB depending on the the applications you use. GeneralZod posted some corresponding links so if you are interested about educating yourself a little look for Zod's post concerning KDE and ressources, I'm not in the mood to do this right now.

Good day to you :)

I actually keep this link in basKet as it seems to be required annoyingly often ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2015680#post2015680

Anyway, we can't know for sure what the KDE4 memory consumption will be like: on the one hand, I've seen several pieces of numerical evidence showing that using Qt4 does indeed give a reduction in memory usage, and this reduction will of course apply cumulatively the more apps you have open. But of course, KDE4 will have lots of new features added, and these never come for free. The "memory hit" for a new feature is often a one-off rather than cumulative, though, so maybe, when many apps are open, the cumulative effects of the Qt4 optimisations will pay for these new features. It's hard to say, and it's almost certain that 4.0 (and probably 4.1) will use up a large-ish amount of memory due to lack of optimisations.

My personal prediction, for what it's worth: I'd be surprised if KDE4.2 +apps used more than, say, 20% more memory than KDE3.5.x + corresponding apps (it could even use much less than KDE3; who knows?), and so should run on much the same hardware as it and GNOME do now.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Oh Jesus, I knew it, you are just an other anti-KDE-troll.
1. There is no Gnome API in gstreamer. If you are so interested in technology, why don't you get your basics right?

Oh no!!! I blew my cover!!!:) Don't be silly, I'm a embedded system designer, so what get me excited are fundamental things. And no, KDE (and gnome) doesn't run on our product (wireless base-stations). See, I'm excited about the ssh support in fuse (vs the ssh kio-slaves). Things like UIO framework, the mmc layer, the new logfs. Things that do the real work, things that drive the hardware.

My favorite app is Emacs (it's more my DE) I guess that makes me an anti-KDE troll in your view! rofl.

2. KDE has developed a wrapper API that enables applications to use a host of media frameworks without having to worry about the underlying technology. This approach was chosen, as you could well have known had you bothered to inform yourself, as KDE wanted to avoid the problems it had encountered with using arts and as it makes life for application developers a lot easier.

But think about it: gstreamer was designed as an abstraction layer so that (gnome) applications can independent of codecs, sources and sinks! Now we need another (kde) abstraction layer on top of that (gnome) abstraction layer so application can be independent of the other abstraction layers.

Very exciting! :P

Skeith
August 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I was under the impression that KDE4 might end up using less memory than KDE3 after everything gets stabilized and the bugs worked out (4.2?). Besides the port to qt4, developers have talked about other improvements in kdelibs and almost all applications included in KDE.

bogolisk
August 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
No, your anti-KDE-trolling makes you an anit-KDE-troll.

So you have no technical arguments to use other name-calling?

*Sigh* Another uninformed comment, after telling us Berners-Lee invented http

Tim wrote the original HTTP paper http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/AsImplemented.html . So since you know better please enlighten me about the real inventor of HTTP the protocol? (I admire the HTTP because of its deadly effective simplicity. The www, great as it is, was more the result of being the right thing at the right time than technical innovation. The other 2 foundation components of the www, html and uri, were just reformulation of existing arts such as sgml and ange-ftp, not really innovative.)

and telling us that gstreamer had a Gnome-API. (Points you so gracefully failed to address btw.)

GStreamer is a streaming-media framework written from the ground up, based
on concepts from the OGI Pipeline [1] and DirectShow [2]. It attempts to
provide an architecture that makes it significantly easier to write media
applications, ranging from audio players through high-end sound-processing
systems. It is built on top of Gtk+ and GNOME.

Gstreamer is a full blown multimedia framework, not just an abstraction layer.

Being a multimedia framework it doesn't change the fact that gstreamer provide an abstraction layer for application. Another analogy is Linux: being a full-blown kernel doesn't change the fact that it provides a hardware abstraction layer for applications. One does not negate the other.

What KDE wanted, for the reasons I cited and you ignored, is only an abstraction layer. So what was your problem again?

I have no problem with KDE, I've always said (read my posts) that KDE is a great DE. It's just that there will be, IMO, no new technology in KDE4 for me to be excited about. (I don't get excited about any DE in general.)

I'm more exciting to see how all the new technology

That was my answer to the OP who asked whether I'm excited about the new technology in KDE4.

P.S.

I'll stop posting in this thread, it's been pushed by some down to the name-calling levels.

miggols99
August 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I've tried the live cds in a VM and as a cd. The desktop widgets are much better than SuperKaramba - They don't have that annoying line around everything. The transparency actually works too! The live cd is very unstable for me, but when it's installed properly (in a distro like Kubuntu) it is much more stable. Dolphin looks really good, and even has split windows. I also like that you can enable composite with Kwin (although not enabled by default) and have compiz like effects. And finally. REAL transparency for Konsole!! As you can see I'm really looking forward to KDE4 :)

EDIT: Also I forgot to say that it seems much more memory efficient. Even in the VM (with 512 memory) it zooms by!

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Being a multimedia framework it doesn't change the fact that gstreamer provide an abstraction layer for application. Another analogy is Linux: being a full-blown kernel doesn't change the fact that it provides a hardware abstraction layer for applications. One does not negate the other.

KDE introduced an abstaction layer for KDE 4 for pure technical reasons and not because they had some gripe with GNOME.

1. GStreamers API is unstable and KDE tries hard to have a stable API for the whole lifetime of a major release. Providing their own abstraction layer provides the application developers with the security that they won't have to change a single line of code if GStreamer chooses to change their APIs again.

2. There are more multimedia frameworks than GStreamer (think xine, mplayer). KDE made in the past the mistake to develop against a specific multimedia framework (Arts) which unfortunately got abondoned by its original developer and nobody would / could step up and continue it. So Arts was decimated to bugfixes. Plus, GStreamer is not available on all KDE supported platform (same as HAL, which was the reason for the Solid API).

3. By writing their own abstraction layers (plural!) they have the chance to make them look and behave in a coherent way with the rest of KDE / Qt thus making it easier for the application developers to work with and attracting new developers.

You may dismiss this application layers as nothing new but writing good APIs which will have to remain API / ABI compatible for several years is a huge exercise in software engineering as evidenced by the lack of stable APIs in the Linux kernel or said GStreamer.

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM
http://www.nic.funet.fi/index/FUNET/history/internet/w3c/proposal.html

The document you linked to states at the beginning of the page that it was submitted by Tim Berners-Lee and thus making him the inventor of HTTP and bogolisk's statement correct unless there's some information about prior art in the text which I haven't read.

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Of course it was submitted by Berners-Lee. Where did I say it wasn't? I even linked to it, didn't I?

Oh and Berners-Lee didn't invent http...:rolleyes:

fyllekajan
August 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Looking at details that (http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/269/oxygencurrentpa9.png) theme appears to have it's window corners chopped off. So the following question would be.. is the default KDE4 window manager incapable of smooth rounded corners?

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Looking at details that (http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/269/oxygencurrentpa9.png) theme appears to have it's window corners chopped off. So the following question would be.. is the default KDE4 window manager incapable of smooth rounded corners?

It's probably just this particular window decoration (Oxygen) since kwin has been able to draw round corners for quite some time.

Erunno
August 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
He invented the world wide web, that's his claim to fame. Http is just a protocol.

Even back then in the stone age the World Wide Web wasn't a concrete technology but a cumulative expression for a stack of protocols / languages. Still doesn't make your assessment correct that Berners-Lee didn't invent HTTP.

fyllekajan
August 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
It's probably just this particular window decoration (Oxygen) since kwin has been able to draw round corners for quite some time.

I believe I said SMOOTH round corners. But it really doesn't matter since people are going to compiz-fusion it anyway.