PDA

View Full Version : Problem passing Bash variable to MySQL

UltraMathMan
August 5th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Hello - I'm trying to use a variable in a bash script as part of a MySQL query later in the same script. I think I have the syntax right, but for some reason I'm not getting the information in MySQL table. By the way, this script is for a mac, hence the slightly different ifconfig statement.

macaddress=`ifconfig en0 |grep ether`
macaddress=${macaddress:6}
fullname=`mysql -u root --password='pass_here' -D rasa07 -e "SELECT fullname FROM data WHERE macaddress = '$macaddress'"`
fullname=${fullname:9}
echo $fullname I know (and checked several times) that the machine's MAC address is in the MySQL table and
shortname=testuser
macaddress=`mysql -u root --password='pass_here' -D rasa07 -e "SELECT macaddress FROM data WHERE shortname = '$shortname'"`
echo $shortname works fine. I know bash variables are untyped but it seems as though there is something "wrong" with $macaddress. Any help would be appreciated.

UltraMathMan
August 5th, 2007, 04:30 AM
So I figured it out
macaddress=${macaddress:6} should be
macaddress=${macaddress:7} The first command left a leading space that was preventing a match. I wrote a script echoing $macaddress and the text version prefixed by "var input:" and "text input:". After that the problem was clear. :lolflag:

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem :)