PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubuntu work with this computer?

FuturePilot
August 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'm looking into a new computer.This one looks like a good deal, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to whether Ubuntu would work on this. The only possible problem that I see is that it uses a RAID setup.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center-TV-PC-M-8120-N/sem/rpsm/oid/185193/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Dimitriid
August 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
That site you gave does not provide all the useful specifications but I looked it up and it seems like a very safe bet. You might just need to check the particular tv tuner card to see if its compatible since there is little information about that one and im not finding more,

Im also not finding the details about the wireless network adapter and there is a good chance that wont work out of the box either ( and in some cases at all ) and another one would be the remote controller but I guess that would work if the tv tuner card is properly supported.

FuturePilot
August 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks. I'm not to concerned about the wireless since I really don't have a use for that. So is a RAID setup easy to work with in Ubuntu?

FuturePilot
August 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Here's a little more info on the specs.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4507-3118_7-32472845.html

Frak
August 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Looks like it'll work, the only thing I worry about is the wireless (you already said you didn't care) and the wireless mouse and keyboard. Other than that, looks like a sound machine.

Compucore
August 5th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Raid should work under ubuntu. I have tried it under ubuntu and a few other linux version to test out. WHich kind of Raid were you thinking of iusing off hand. My suggestion would be at least raid 1 to start off with anything higher than that like Raid 4 or 5 would be most used for offices use only because they have sensitive documents or databases worked on that kind of raid.

Compucore

Frak
August 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Raid should work under ubuntu. I have tried it under ubuntu and a few other linux version to test out. WHich kind of Raid were you thinking of iusing off hand. My suggestion would be at least raid 1 to start off with anything higher than that like Raid 4 or 5 would be most used for offices use only because they have sensitive documents or databases worked on that kind of raid.

Compucore
RAID 4? Could you explain to me what it does.
Just wondering because I've only heard of (and used) RAID 0,1, 5, & 10 (1+0)