PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

adastra23
August 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM
This is the Welcome thread.
Feel free to post information about yourself, your Ubuntu story, what town you live in, any ideas for events or projects for the Kansas LoCo Team to participate in or create. Please feel free to post here.

Here's mine:
Eric Klemm
31 years old, Salina KS
I come from Overland Park (Kansas City)
I've lived in Topeka and Lawrence.
I've been using Linux for about 3 years, I first installed Ubuntu between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. When I setup a Dual-Boot machine instead of upgrading to Vista, I started using it on a daily basis.
Other hobbies: I paint canvas with acrylic, I learned to solve the Rubik's cube this year, I've been married to my beautiful wife for 5 years, we have a little Jack Russell Terrier named Mac.

calane
August 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Greeting and a bit about me:

Carl Lane
Wichita, KS
New to Linux, but not to computing
I am currently a Web Applications Developer, a Commerical E-commerce Shopping Cart Developer and operate a Web Hosting Company
No time for hobbies, I'm always coding!

AusIV4
August 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hi,
Austin Roberts
I'm from Prairie Village, KS originally and get back quite a bit, but I'm currently a Computer Science major at the University of Tulsa.
I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 years, and Windows has been resigned to a virtual machine for about 9 months.

If you all are having any meetings while I'm in town, I'll try to stop by.

mekgp
August 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hello...
Kevin aka MeKGP
Been using different distros's of Linux for the last couple of years and have settled to using Ubuntu on a daily basis. Currently working on getting a Gateway 2620 TabletPC working with Ubuntu. So far, so good...pen usage is kind of "iffy" at the moment.
I live in Wakeeney, KS.... :)

raqball
September 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I am in Topeka and have been using Linux for about 5 years now,,,

acelin
September 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Salane Ashcraft

Student at KU

Ubuntu user since March

zachflanders
September 13th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Howdy Yall

I'm 22 and study history at KU. I'm originally from Salina.

I wouldn't call myself a 'computer person,' but I've played around with Linux for several years as a hobby. I have been using Ubuntu as my sole OS for about a year, and I have already converted my girlfriend and one of my roommates!

kah00na
September 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm in Topeka. I've been working in Linux for about 6 years and have been using Ubuntu exclusively for about 4 months. I still have to use windows to get my flash card reader to work. I purchased a used laptop with Windows already on it so I added Ubuntu and have been using it ever since.

Beryan
October 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM
My name's Brian Henry, and I'm a sophomore at Oskaloosa High School, near Lawrence. I've only just started using Ubuntu in the past few weeks and enjoying it. I'm planning on majoring in Computer Engineering in college.

Purplecatty
November 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Matt AKA Purplecatty

I live in Shawnee, KS and work for USPS. I fiddle around Linux as my hobby.

I switched to Ubuntu since last summer due to Windoz XP in AMD64 system crashed. Gotten tired of Windoz's problem, I decided to switch over to Linux. I have been messing around Linux for 5 years as a newbie starting with Mandrake 9.0 and RedHat (been trying out LiveCD and tried many flavors of Linux, Ubuntu seem to be the easiest to use. I do have Mint Linux which is a Ubuntu base OS on other hard drive. But there are some bugs that I can't get few installed software working.). I am still learning but getting better on Console. My kids love Ubuntu better than Windoz becuz browser loads faster and plenty of cool games. I finally figure out how to use WINE. I Google search alot to get info.

Kah00na, I did not have any problem getting Flash card reader working. I have HP PSC 2175 All-in-One printer and it have flash card reader on it's side. I tested and it works great. I believe it have to do with chipset issue.

So I say Hello to everyone!
Catty

Dennis Hogan
December 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Howdy from out by Dodge City.

Dennis Jay Hogan
27 yoa; Kinsley, KS
Born and bred here in Kinsley, but have spent a year Lawrence and a met my wife during a year spent in Emporia.
I got started with Linux about 6 months ago; I've preferred the command line since first plugging in my then-new Tandy Color Computer II. So when my mother-in-law gifted us her Compaq that was chugging under XP, I stuck in a new stick of memory and a Debian install disk. Got it running; swapped to Kubuntu 7.10. Now it serves for controlling my daughter's time online, and lets me tinker without screwing up the computer my wife has commandeered for her home business. ;)

rjcope728
December 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi All,
I'm Rick Copeland, I live in cheney, 30 miles west of Wichita.
I have a room set up for my computer and music fun.
This box was a Compaq (P3 Katmai 550 379 mbs of ram, with a nvidia geforce2 vid card), doorstop. It had XP on it for awhile then it died. I was reading about 7.10 and decided to give it a try. After a ne Hard drive and few Video card swaps plus 3 installs it came out perfect. Not sure why the first 2 didn't work right but it only takes a couple of hours to reinstall.

I've tried to get different distros of Linux to run over the past few years, with no luck due to not knowing any programming langs. I'm very happy with this distro - XUBUNTU 7.10 and I'm now on the prowl for a considerably faster machine to put it on. I'm not quite ready to put it on my Main Computer (P4 2.8 w/2 gigs of ram) yet, but not far off.
If there are any get together's in Wichita, I'd like to be there. Good Luck To all, Rick

ksujason
January 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Jason Hughes. I live in Topeka with my wife and three kids, ages 15, 13, 12.

I built a new computer about a month ago and decided to give Linux a try for the heck of it. I installed Ubuntu and have been enjoying trying to learn it. I work as a Radiology Engineer so after many years of dealing with Unix based X-ray machines, I thought I could switch to Linux no problem. I sense have learned differently. It is a real challenge to make everything work.

hlygrail
January 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi.

Chris, here. Live in Wichita. Married, one daughter (10).

Been using Linux for about a year. I love the fact that Ubuntu has been able to breathe some life back into some older machines I've had sitting around. Still trying to figure out the "challenging" parts of the OS, like getting Compiz working with old laptops, or why some annoying little things keep creeping-up, but all-in-all I've become addicted to tweaking and customizing--thankfully, the Ubuntu support community is superb.

I have one old laptop running Gutsy, one [somewhat] newer laptop running Gutsy, and an older PC I'm toying with (it used to be a LAMP server, but I'm not sure what I'll end-up with).

Anywho, just thought I'd say Hey, and that I'm here.

JoshuaRL
March 12th, 2008, 02:40 AM
User: JoshuaRL
Name: Sassafrass (jk, Joshua)
Other: Wanting to learn programming, maintain more apps for Wine.
Ubuntu user since 2005

I dual-booted Ubuntu 5.10 on a Windows 2000 Dell Latitude CPx. It worked great, but didn't have ethernet or wireless so it was a little limited. When I went on to another computer I didn't install Ubuntu, but instead went back to Windows.

So eventually I had a problem with a second-hand Inspiron 5100 where Microsoft told me that I had an invalid product key (after about 4-6 months of updates) and that I would need to pay them $150 to get a new one.

So after a halfway botched OEM install disk from a desktop I decided to jump head-first into Ubuntu. It's been great in every way, and I'm working on getting all my friends to convert.

Linux just makes sense in my brain. I always struggled trying to understand Windows, even if I had learned a lot via experimenting. But after the first beginner phase of "I hate this, it's not like Windows, I wish this would just work", I have progressed a ways. I feel I have started to understand the underlying logic to this OS and can provide help to others.

Eventually I will have my main computer as a backend for MythTV and a small thin client running on the TV for music, videos, and Virtualized XP when needed.

I hang some in the Absolute Beginner Forum, and am a new member of the Beginner Team.

bat21win
March 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Forum Name:
bat21win
RN:
Mike

First started with a dual-boot windows and Ubuntu 6.06 at the recommendation of a friend. Have tried many distributions, Ubuntu being my favorite for a full OS, with DreamLinux my favorite for CD portable use. For most things, I prefer using Linux to Windows, games being the only exception. I think that within a year or two, there will be little reason to pay for a bogged down Windows OS.

Current CS student at WSU. Administrator on two large airsoft forums. Amateur digital photographer.

NJ0E
August 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Howdy from Abilene,

Joe Carney here.
Old enought to know better, young enough to still try!
Windows user since 3.0
Getting tired of the problems with Windows. Currently using XP. Trying to install using Virtual machine to work out my bugs.

Side note -- Mr. Klemm could you please email me? I would like to meet with you face to face for some assistance with my machine!

joewolf at spinfinder dot com

Thanks

Joe

JoshuaRL
August 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Howdy from Abilene,

Joe Carney here.
Old enought to know better, young enough to still try!
Windows user since 3.0
Getting tired of the problems with Windows. Currently using XP. Trying to install using Virtual machine to work out my bugs.

Side note -- Mr. Klemm could you please email me? I would like to meet with you face to face for some assistance with my machine!

Thanks

Joe

Well, I'm about 3 hours away from Abilene, but maybe I can help you through the interweb. What kind of problems are you having?

Oh, and Welcome to Ubuntu! Is it as hot there as it is here? Great googley-moogley.

NJ0E
August 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Teh screen shots that pshcyocats has dont look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintiaining an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks wether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encryptede LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesnt see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

PS you can hit me off line at
or if needed call me at home 785 200 3910 be advised that I head to work @ 1300 daily and dont return until after 2245. (commute to salina)

Again,

Thanks

NJ0E
August 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
The screen shots that "pshcyocats" has doesn't look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintianing an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks whether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encrypted LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesn't see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

or if needed call me at home 785 200 3910 be advised that I head to work @ 1300 daily and dont return until after 2245. (commute to salina)

Again,

Thanks

JoshuaRL
August 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The screen shots that "pshcyocats" has doesn't look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintianing an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks whether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encrypted LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesn't see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

Again,

Thanks

What you're talking about is installing using wubi. That doesn't need any partitioning, and in fact I don't believe it can use it. You'll probably want to put the disk space back to Windows if you're wanting to do wubi. I've never used wubi myself, since I had gone single boot ubuntu since before it came out, but I've got some links for you:

http://wubi-installer.org/
http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234
That last one is the wubi forum on Ubuntu Forums. They should be able to help if you have any issues.

If (or, hopefully when) you decide to install it to the hard drive proper, I'll be happy to help more. You should consider it, it is faster and safer. Plus, if you ever get malware in Windows, it can affect your wubi install to a degree.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

P.S. Another second shifter I see. I work at 1500 and am off around 2300. But then again, I have very little commute.

NJ0E
August 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.

Joe

JoshuaRL
August 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.

Joe

Glad to help man. If all you're wanting to do is run Ubuntu in a VM, then I would suggest wubi. It is beyond easy, and supported pretty well from Ubuntu.

NJ0E
August 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
JoshuaRL...

in the process of DL -- 8.5 hr and started at 1030 this am!! Now at work. when I left it had 5 hrs to go. Hopefully all goes well. Am going to try and hold off on install until Friday (have the weekend off 4 glorious days!!)

Will let you know how it goes.

Joe

NJ0E
August 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Joshua -- sent you an email thru the forum.

Joe

GMod
August 31st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Greetings from Atchison!

Name:
Greg

Post As:
GMod

Linux Story:
I've been using different flavors of linux for about a year and a half and have been enjoying every minute of it. Currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and Slackware 12.1 in dual boot setup.

Any other Linux users from Northeast Kansas??

jmcgovern
October 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Just a quick intro.

Jeff McGovern
Lawrence (Non-student) age 28.

Been using Ubuntu on my home PC for about six weeks now. I dual-boot with Vista, although it spends most of the time in Ubuntu. I do have to use Vista on occasion unfortunately (I'm a gamer, and my Canon PIXMA printer has carpy Linux support). I've actually used Linux for several years and have taken courses to become RHCT, but haven't taken the test yet (I don't have that kind of money).

djchandler
August 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
For some lack of reason I've failed to post in this group before.

I'm D. J. Chandler, and I live in a close-in suburb of Kansas City. I was born in Missouri, but I've lived in Kansas almost 30 years now.

Linux became an interest of mine about 8 years ago when I installed Redhat 6 (before the split of Redhat enterprise and Fedora) on a Compaq Armada laptop that I used to take on the road with me. Sadly the drive got wiped because the fonts were awful! The max resolution (Pentium 166mmx, 64MB ram, 2GB HD) was 800x600. NT 4.0 got re-installed along with Adobe Type Manager and tons of Adobe fonts that looked fantastic by comparison. You could say I was a litlle spoiled in that regard as I had done some freelancing in the publishing and printing business on Macs and Windows boxes using Pagemaker, Framemaker, Photoshop, ATM and Adobe fonts plus professional techniques to create my output.

Dual booting on desktops using grub started with Fedora 3 as I kept pushing the learning curve. For some reason I was still not comfortable with Linux, but I kept learning anyway. The possible rewards seemed just out of sight but attainable.

In 2006 I got a PIII (550mhz, 256MB, 6GB HD) from the Surplus Exchange in the KC West Bottoms and installed Dapper on my first dedicated Linux machine. I've been an Ubuntu supporter ever since. But I also began to wonder why Debian was the parent of Ubuntu, so I began learning about it and its development too.

Currently I have a desktop (AMD X2 7750, AMD 780G chipset, 4GB ram, 250GB HD) running Jaunty functioning as a HTPC in the living room. One of these days it may run Mythbuntu, but I'm stiil getting my moneysworth out of BeyondTV running on an XP box--it's sitting in spare bedroom and functions mainly as a server. Recordings are accessed via a web browser front-end, streamed or copied to my Jaunty box and played on our HDtv in the living room. This computer also functions as my main desktop much to my wife's dissapointment. She hardly can get me out of my Lazyboy anymore since my wireless keyboard works well from that distance. Obviously seeing isn't a problem either with the big screen LCD.

Just bought a laptop that's now dual booting Vista (soon to be Windows 7) and Jaunty. If I had any real guts I'd wipe Vista, but I'm still curious about Windows 7. I get a "free" upgrade in October, so I'll wait a bit. But everything in the laptop works great in Jaunty, no issues. It's a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5959, $399 (after $100 rebate) now at MicroCenter in Overland Park. Specs: AMD Athlon X2 Ql-65 cpu, 2GB DDR2 667 ram, 250GB HD, 780G chipset, HD3100 integrated graphics, Atheros Wireless LAN chipset. Newegg has a similar Toshiba but with an Intel T4200 cpu, $399 and no rebate to fool with. Of course they advertised that two days after I bought mine. But I'm a little leary about laptops getting shipped anyway, so that's okay. Buying parts online is one thing, but getting a computer with a HD and LCD screen is not something I want to do. And then Kansas hits you for the sales tax anyway.

Rambling comes second nature to me, so I'll force myself to quit here. If anyone in the KC area needs a little help or advice, feel free to contact me via the Ubuntu Forum.

mzracer360
September 29th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Name: Derek

Hometown: Topeka

I am a Computer Information Science major at Washburn University. I began using Ubuntu back when 6.06 just came out. I got it because I was looking for a server to install on my dads old PC, so I could host a HL2 and CS:S game server and learn PHP code at the same time. I haven't really spent time learning it's ins and outs until recently. The CIS department has decided to switch to open-source as much as possible starting this semester. I enjoy working with Linux, but I still switch back to Windows quite often, as there are still many things that it does better, like photo editing with Photoshop CS4.

ceejwalker
September 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Name: Ceej Walker

Currently running Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP netbook dualbooting to windows

About me: I was born and raised in Wichita, KS but am now living in Manhattan, KS, and when I was 18 joined the US Navy and trained to become an Electronics Technician. I know a great deal about hardware and because of the Navy I was introduced to Ubuntu about 2 years ago. I'm still learning a lot but am very willing to turn it up a notch and give back to the community.

jstokes
October 1st, 2009, 05:30 AM
it's good to see some active on here... :) welcome all new comers!

moore.davidv11
December 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
What you're talking about is installing using wubi. That doesn't need any partitioning, and in fact I don't believe it can use it. You'll probably want to put the disk space back to Windows if you're wanting to do wubi. I've never used wubi myself, since I had gone single boot ubuntu since before it came out, but I've got some links for you:

http://wubi-installer.org/
http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234
That last one is the wubi forum on Ubuntu Forums. They should be able to help if you have any issues.

If (or, hopefully when) you decide to install it to the hard drive proper, I'll be happy to help more. You should consider it, it is faster and safer. Plus, if you ever get malware in Windows, it can affect your wubi install to a degree.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

P.S. Another second shifter I see. I work at 1500 and am off around 2300. But then again, I have very little commute.

Joshua RL,

djchandler
December 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Joshua RL,

David,

You have another possibility if Joshua can't meet with you when you're in K.C., KS. I live in Mission, about a mile south of I-35's Lamar Ave. interchange. Send a private message if you want further info.

imahussey
December 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hi from Lenexa. My name is Nick and I work for Surewest, a phone/cable/ISP, just wanted to check out what kind of activity was going on in the Ubuntu world around me.

drbeams
December 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Nick

Welcome to Ubuntu forums. Glad to see you dropped by.

There are a number of LUGS in the area, notably in your area, KCLUG. Several of their members are Ubuntu users.

Dale

djchandler
December 18th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Hi from Lenexa. My name is Nick and I work for Surewest, a phone/cable/ISP, just wanted to check out what kind of activity was going on in the Ubuntu world around me.

KCLUG meets twice a month at the K.C., MO Pub. Library downtown. There's also a website, forum and a listserv type (not majordomo) service available. Take your laptop and cat5 cable. The guy who used to bring the 24 port ethernet switch died in October, but surely somebody's picked up the torch. When I go I try to bring at least an 8 port. Library has at least an 18 Mb/sec connection (according to speedtest.net).

www.kclug.org

So when is Surewest getting to Mission? My daughter has your service in O.P. and she's been satisfied. I've been waiting here east of Metcalf and north S.M. Pkwy for years. Not impressed with TWCKC and AT&T ADSL could be more reliable.

Easy Lyle
March 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hello, all!

Name: Lyle

I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04, and currently have a duel boot of 10.04 and Vista on my laptop. Main desktop machine is pure Ubuntu. :-)

drbeams
March 19th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Lyle,

Great to hear you are in the area. You might consider joining NCKLUG at www.ncklug.org. NCKLUG is in your area and provides user support. They are also a big promoter of Ubuntu in the area. We'd love to have you for a meeting or two.

Dale

Jazusa03
April 5th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I Live south of Wichita. My name is Jim, im 21 years old this june, and I've been a gamer since i was about 5, on Windows 95, playing DOS games. after that Nintendo, SNES, Sega Genises, N64, PSX, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and so on and so forth. when i was 16 I decided to get SuSe 9.3 which was available threw the Best buy on Rock Rd. (they dont sell it anymore). SuSe was terrable, was very buggy, and didnt work all that well. after that i went back to Windows XP for a couple years, in 2008 I discovered Ubuntu. After some research I found the Wubi installer and installed it. Becuase of my gaming in World of Warcraft i didnt have time to realy set up WoW in Ubuntu under wine so i ended up using windows for the next year. Just after the new year i got my Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD in the Mail. I installed it, got everything setup, and becuase my gaming had slowed down i had time to setup my Games in Ubuntu under Wine. Ever since then I hardly touch windows.

drbeams
April 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hi Jim,

Glad to see you drop by. I often travel through central KS. Drop in to the IRC chatroom on freenode sometime.

Dale

Nate B.
May 21st, 2010, 04:55 AM
I guess I'm sort of a Johnny come lately as I didn;t even know this forum existed until an email popped up this evening on the ACLUG list I'm still subscribed to.

I'm Nate in Marysville, KS, a.k.a. N0NB for the radio amateurs amongst us. I started with Slackware in Sept '96 and switched to it full time in January 1998--literally weeks before the Netscape announcement. That was even long before there was a Ubuntu, in fact, it was before the first big Debian spin-off--Corel Linux.

Anyway, Debian became my distro of choice in September of '99 and essentially remains so as I've not strayed from Debian or its derivatives, except for some time spent playing with Slackware on and off, since.

My first real use of Ubuntu was installing Mythbuntu 8.04 almost two years ago. That system is a rock and just keeps ticking along. I'm almost afraid to upgrade it!

I'd played with Kubuntu a bit but shied away from GNOME until late February when I gave Linux Mint 8 a spin and was thoroughly enamored. Noting its roots lay in Ubuntu 9.10 I decided to give Lucid 10.04 an honest try early this month and it is now my primary installation on my laptop. My main desktop is still Debian Sid with KDE 4.4.3 and will likely remain so.

There are a few of us Linux users around these parts and I try to introduce it as it makes sense to do so.

Balthazar_Droid
July 30th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Hi,

My name is Bob, I'm 34 and I live in Salina.

nick is Balthazar on IRC
therealbobbaird@Twitter

My first exposure to Linux was in the form of the Android mobile OS, I got a Motorola Droid for Christmas last year and pretty quickly rooted it and began playing with custom ROMs. I have also done a little bit of theming since then. I like to know how things work, so I started learning about the underpinnings of Android and the Linux file structure and got interested in Linux as an alternative to Windows and Apple.

I have never actually bought a new computer, I always wind up with a relative's hand-me-down for some reason. So around the time I was becoming familiar with Linux I started having problems with my desktop. It had 512 GB of RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. It was slowing to an unbearable speed so I added 1 GB of memory, a 500 GB hard drive and started trying to decide if I wanted to reinstall Windows or try a Linux distro. I did some research and really like the philosophy behind Ubuntu and the realative ease of use for newbs. I left my 20 GB hdd and all of my windows files in my PC and installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the new hdd. I am now dual-booted, but since I convinced my wife she could use Ubuntu too we haven't booted back into windows since.

I am enthusiastic about learning something new and look forward to getting involved where I can.

alindgr1
January 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hello to all. My name is Aaron, and I have been using Linux for about two years now. Vista drove me to it!!

I live in Wichita, although I have just moved here a few months ago, after retiring from the Marine Corps. I grew up in South Dakota, and spent the majority of the last 20 years in NC, with the exception of a few overseas deployments, and an awful recruiting duty tour.

I also like building plastic models and reading. My goal right now is to build a model of all aircraft the US Marine Corps has used, major versions only.

OOHRAH!!

wweeks
March 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Name: Will Weeks

My Ubuntu story has been trying to install it all the machines I own and usually failing. :) I'm about to convert my iBook and iPaq over to Ubuntu 10.10. Wish me luck.

cbennett926
March 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hello everyone I have been using Ubuntu for about a year off and on, waiting for my own computer for a full install. I am 18 years old, graduating high school in May and going to the University of Oklahoma to major in computer science! I currently live in Shawnee and Basehor, Kansas!

ravinfy
March 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hello Everyone!
I`m Ravi. Hope everyone of you is still as excited about Linux as you were until a few months ago :) (Not seeing a lot of activity in the Kansas Forum).

I have recently gotten on to the Ubuntu bandwagon by wiping clean my Win 7 and installing a 12.04 LTE! Alhough, this is not my first encounter with Ubuntu. (used 9.something for a few years ago)

Every since I got 11.10 a month ago, I have been quite excited about learning a lot of Unix and Linux and "getting the OS work for you".

I really wish some more senior members in/around Kansas led this section of the Forum by sharing more information or start posting challenging projects that we could all work on.

):P

Regards,
Ravi
Overland Park!!

cbennett926
March 30th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hello Everyone!
I`m Ravi. Hope everyone of you is still as excited about Linux as you were until a few months ago :) (Not seeing a lot of activity in the Kansas Forum).

I have recently gotten on to the Ubuntu bandwagon by wiping clean my Win 7 and installing a 12.04 LTE! Alhough, this is not my first encounter with Ubuntu. (used 9.something for a few years ago)

Every since I got 11.10 a month ago, I have been quite excited about learning a lot of Unix and Linux and "getting the OS work for you".

I really wish some more senior members in/around Kansas led this section of the Forum by sharing more information or start posting challenging projects that we could all work on.

):P

Regards,
Ravi
Overland Park!!

Ravi,

I am somewhat from the area, Shawnee to be exact, I am trying to get more activity in this forum; could you provide a little more information about yourself? I am currently attending the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma; however I will be returning home this May until August, so if you want to get this thing going before then maybe we could get some meetings or something set up!

All the best,

Cody

ravinfy
April 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Ravi,

could you provide a little more information about yourself?

Good deal, Cody!
(Sorry, I hadn`t subscribed to this post and didn`t notice your response all this while..)

I haven only been here (Kansas) for abt a year now.. working in an IT firm in downtown.. ! I have 5 yrs of IT experience but none with Linux or Ubuntu or even Unix. Having wiped my laptop clean of Windows 7, I am experimenting a lot with Ubuntu now a days and love it so far... been wanting to dig into a bit of coding and write a few good programs to help the community!

how good are you with Linux?
Do you have any 'small assignments' that we can get started with?

(I really hope we have just a few others to get this momentum going.. come on folks! :) )

Ravi

cbennett926
April 10th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Good deal, Cody!
(Sorry, I hadn`t subscribed to this post and didn`t notice your response all this while..)

I haven only been here (Kansas) for abt a year now.. working in an IT firm in downtown.. ! I have 5 yrs of IT experience but none with Linux or Ubuntu or even Unix. Having wiped my laptop clean of Windows 7, I am experimenting a lot with Ubuntu now a days and love it so far... been wanting to dig into a bit of coding and write a few good programs to help the community!

how good are you with Linux?
Do you have any 'small assignments' that we can get started with?

(I really hope we have just a few others to get this momentum going.. come on folks! :) )

Ravi

I don't know a whole lot, I am currently in school studying Computer Science at the University of Oklahoma and will be home for the summer here in about 4 weeks. I too hope we can get some more people, it would be a lot of fun! As for small projects I don't know of any, although we can check on the Bug list and see if we can tackle something!