PDA

View Full Version : Welcome

ZephyrXero
August 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hello Mississippi Ubuntu users! We now have our own subforum here at the official Ubuntu Forums :D

Feel free to post anything here relating to local events and whatnot in our community, however please continue using the regular forums for help questions and such.

- Derick Eisenhardt
[Hattiesburg, MS, USA]

MississippiTeam's current website: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MississippiTeam
Our Launchpad page: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mississippi
IRC: #ubuntu-mississippi on Freenode
Mailing List: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ms

richaoj
August 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Great to see this LoCo group getting off the ground. I had been thinking about starting one for a while, but never got the motivation to get it going! Thanks for your work, and I look forward to helping in whatever way you need me to!

randys
November 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
it is nice to see that there are others in MS using ubuntu. i live in gulfport. whenever i mention ubuntu to my friends here I always get strange looks!

ingram
December 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I wrote someone about the group already at USM. I also signed up for the mailing list.

I have been using ubuntu for awhile and really had no idea there were others around here that used it.

afderrick
January 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hey, I'm originally from Hattiesburg, MS. Didn't ever know there were people in Mississippi would know about linux and the such. Ok, maybe I did but I got involved after I left. I am in the Air Force and stationed in the arctic north known as Nebraska currently. I hope you don't mind me being a member still since I am a Mississippian at heart still.

chchandler
May 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Nice to see a local group. I'm also in Hattiesburg, working at USM. HH on a ThinkPad T42 and it went smooth as silk...

ARhere
June 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am in Ocean Springs and work in Long Beach, (that's Gulf Coast Mississippi, not freakin' California :lolflag: )

I did not know there was a local support team. I am currently supporting T-9 computers and Blade Computers with CD's/materials and trying to get them to start selling pre-loaded machines.

If you are in the Gulf Coast region, maybe we can pool resources.

-AR

usnica
June 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm in Gulfport also so there's two of us down here. I started using Linux just this year. I had Ubuntu on an old machine and I'm looking for a replacement while at the same time trying to convince people Linux works and works good. I don't know anyone else using Ubuntu and it would be good to have someone local to talk to.

blaylock.most.wanted
September 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Long ways from everyone else here in winona, but still glad to see other linux users in Mississippi. its a great os.

WcWofEleven
November 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm in Northeast MS, near Tupelo, in a small piece of crap town called Fulton. I've only ever met two other Linux users in person, and one of them is an Asian exchange student that doesn't count. I myself have been using Ubuntu on and off for around two years, and had XP completely removed at one point before I went crazy from lack of gaming.

Great to know that there are actually some other people down here who realize that their computers don't have to screw up all the time.

Actually, at my high school the idiots actually run Linux for everything except for the actual desktops. They pay for Office and Windows, and I saw XP on a 128mb machine that couldn't even handle a device being plugged in without freezing. And IE7 freezes half the time when you try to open it.

We need some Edubuntu pretty bad up here :(

Holleywood
February 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I just found this today. I will continue to check in and hopefully I can learn something from the rest of you. Like the others, I am glad to have fellow Ubuntu users close by.

odium1
March 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
it's always good to see another mississippi user. we're (some of my co-workers, colleagues and friends) are starting a linux community in hattiesburg that will be open to anyone and will not be limited by just one distro. while i personally use ubuntu and opensuse, there are other linux users out there who have different tastes and preferences. you can email me if you'd like to find out more about our group and our meetings and mailing lists.

bpitt
August 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Howdy, I'm in Hattiesburg as well. I've an older version of Ubuntu (6.10) on an old machine at home and plan on putting DSL on another machine at home. The company I work for uses RedHat on their servers, which I get to install/maintain. Good thing is, I don't have to do a lot of 'maintaining', lol. They had me get my Linux+ certification last year, which means nothing, but I've still a LOT to learn.

I've just started messin' around with the various flavors. I've set up a 'home lab' at the house. My oldest daughter and I mess around on it. We've two linux boxes and two windows machines, with a couple of switches/hubs thrown in. We do some 'experimenting', etc.

Interested at delving into cluster computing with linux.

GGreen
October 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Great to see others in MS using Ubuntu. I'm sorry to see that there aren't more. I am trying to convert family and friends over to Ubuntu. If there are ever any Ubuntu classes or meeting in north or central MS, then please let me know.

Exodist
November 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I didnt think we had a MS Loco team so I never bothered to check to see if we had a forum.
I am in Northeast MS north of Tupelo (near Corinth).
I have been using Linux since around 1998.

I have seen a few Linux users in our area, some of which I once worked with many years ago and a few here and there.

I actually used to be a big Ubuntu supporter few years ago under my previous alias "Bandit".
But now I use Debian and spend more time with my family.

Cheers,
Exodist