PDA

View Full Version : An observation about all value of FOSS

VChief
August 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM
There was a post in the KDE 4.0 Beta 1 release thread about how amazing open source is and how cool it is that we have devs who are more concerned with writing good software and not about profit (defintely not verbatim) and it reminded me that I was thinking about that exact thing yesterday. I went to Fry's to pick up something and decided to take a peek in the software area, realizing it's been quite a while since I bought software (WoW was the last one...the one before that was RH back in the day).

Saw Visual Studio selling for $300 and $700. And just thought about the simply amazing IDEs we have. I'm playing with both Eclipse and KDevelop. I haven't figured out which one I like more yet. Well, that got me thinking about all the software we have for Linux and *BSD and how much devs could get for Eclipse, KDevelop, OpenOffice, GIMP, and on and on. I know there are hundreds and hundreds of software out there that are just as good, if not better, then their commercial counterparts (the IDEs are the best example for me because that's what I'm interested in). And that's not even including Linux, itself. Vista and Mac both go for a couple hundred and we have all this for free. I thought about how much the software I have on my computer is worth (going with the commercial pricing). I would definitely pay for it (after all, FOSS devs need food too). I would pay for Linux and everything else. This is one of the things I love about Linux and the community. People who are more concerned with writing good, usable software, and who enjoy it. Not people who are doing it for that paycheck. I'm just starting to learn C, but I hope to soon start contributing back to the Linux community. I've been wanting to do that ever since I started using Linux but have been dragging my feet on it. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Thank you, Linus, thank you, RMS, thank you, Ian, Mark, and all the outstanding developers who work so hard to give us great programs. Ya'll deserve a lot more credit then you get.

P.S.-- Is it just me or has FOSS more than proven itself as being superior to proprietary? I'm just thinking of the security and stability of Linux plus all the feature-rich, secure programs we have. Just a last thought...and extra 1/2 of a cent.

Arisna
August 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I quite agree. Free software has a lot of real killer apps. I actually think a lot of the most powerful ones are console programs like vim, screen, and ssh, not to mention bash and friends. I'm also a big fan of KDE.

I really don't think I would pay retail value for each of these things comparable to what Microsoft products cost, though. The "free as in beer" aspect of Free software has got me pretty spoiled.

DoctorMO
August 4th, 2007, 04:53 AM
It's a whole different world; most of the time the programmer either wants the functionality personally or he has already been paid by someone to add the feature or write the software.

We get food, just not solid gold humvees.

VChief
August 4th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I agree with not paying the bloated prices for anything. I never quite understood how that was ever justified. I know there's a lot of hard work going into each program, but when it only takes about $1.00/CD once it's made, charging $200-$400+ for each copy? That doesn't come close to making sense....unless you want that solid gold humvee.