PDA

View Full Version : Java programming general HELP!

ICU2
August 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I've been programming java apps in windows, with sockets, GUIs, JNI, RMI, etc, etc, etc.
The point is that i'm recently beginning to do this in linux, I've been using Ubuntu since 5.10 an never tried to do java before in here, so my question is: is there a good tutorial , or comparison on the little deferences in java/windows and java/linux?

BTW i've already have everything running an programming in java, but every now and then i have little drawbacks an have to search for every specific problem.

So really my question is: Has someone already wrote about these little differences?

kknd
August 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Is exactly the same thing. Just the print doesn't work good, and JMF (like in windows) sucks.

nitro_n2o
August 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM
well.. java is a cross platform language for the most part.. there is no need to worry about these little glitches..
minor differences might happen in GUI's depending on your desktop manager.. but you shouldn't worry about them a lot even for commercial stuff

AlexThomson_NZ
August 4th, 2007, 03:48 AM
We have a good mix of Apple, Windows, Solaris and Linux boxes at work (doing Java development), and other than file paths, we have not really found any changes we have to make between environments (even with GUI widgets)

slavik
August 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Java = write once, debug everywhere :P

if you code runs on Sun's JVM in windows, it shouldn't have a problem with Sun's JVM in Linux ... as for file paths, Java is supposed to handle the slashes properly, and you should use relative paths anyway (unless you are trying to access some exact system file or such in which case this discussion is worthless).

Lux Perpetua
August 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I agree with the above posters. However, make sure you install and use Sun's virtual machine. The default is the GNU Java platform, which will not perform as you expect.

apoth
August 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Java is supposed to handle the slashes properly.

Sort of, calling System.getProperty("file.separator") will return the appropriate slash for the OS you're running on.

Things are broadly, if not totally, the same for core Java stuff as long as you use things like the file.separator property and don't hardcode it and you use the standard Java look and feel.

tenmillionmilesaway
August 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I find its easier to use the static method on the file class File.separator()

steve.horsley
August 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Another important area is that of character encoding. Always make sure you specify the encoding when reading/writing text to/from input/output streams. This goes for both files and for socket streams. Especially socket streams. InputStreamReader/OutputStreamWriter use the default platform encoding unless told otherwise, and this is different between Windows (proprietary windows encoding) and Linux (somethimes UTF8, sometimes 8059-1).

hesham87
August 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
People the man is trying to get atutorial or somthing to java programming in linux any help ?
iam in asame like him and i even try to use eclipse in linux but i cant work well in it

Ramses de Norre
August 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Looking for a tutorial (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html)?

AlexThomson_NZ
August 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
People the man is trying to get atutorial or somthing to java programming in linux any help ?
iam in asame like him and i even try to use eclipse in linux but i cant work well in it

The point we were making is there is are no real differences at all, hence there probably isn't any online comparisons (not that I bothered checking). I don't think he is looking help actually programming Java, as it looks like he has done quite a bit already.

If you are having problems with Eclipse, start a new tread and detail your specific problems