PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered Threads bug - can't view past page 1

charlieg
July 25th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I thought I'd have a go at answering a few of the unanswered threads - I think the Unanswered Threads link is a great idea and a great way to keep on top of the hundreds of new threads that come up throughout the forums. (In the Gentoo forums there was an 'unanswered threads' initiative although it was just a thread somewhere and not a first-class forum component.)

However... it's not really working! It comes up with the first page of unanswered threads, which is fine. But if I hit 'next page' or page 2 or 3, it says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." If I hit back, the same message is displayed.

How can I answer unanswered threads if I can't find 'em!?! ](*,)

:smile:

Xian
July 25th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I always hover around the Unanswered Threads link and I have noticed the same as yourself. Basically what appears to happen is that as these threads get responses (which is a good thing) the forum needs to reset the qualifying posts, and that causes you initial search query to become obsolete. I generally just open a few sequential U/T pages as separate tabs in my browser and work from that setup.

It's how I found your post. :)

panickedthumb
July 25th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I think I figured out why it does this, honestly. It seems that over time, the search expires. It's essentially using a custom search to find the unanswered threads, and after a while it will expire (I think it's 5-10 minutes).

Xian
July 25th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Sure, that makes sense. Is that parameter configurable?

charlieg
July 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I think I figured out why it does this, honestly. It seems that over time, the search expires. It's essentially using a custom search to find the unanswered threads, and after a while it will expire (I think it's 5-10 minutes).
Actually it's more like 5-10ms. I've tried switching between pages as soon as the page is loaded in my browser and they come up as, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Xian
July 25th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Oh well, it was a good theory. Back to square one. :?