PDA

View Full Version : How many watts do you think my TP 600 uses?

jgrabham
August 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
300mhz CPU, 2MB graphics, 224MB RAM

I want to plug this into my router, and then plug stuff (USB HDDs etc) into the laptop to make them work across the network (keeping the laptop on constantly). Only problem is if my parents notice the electricity bill going up :]

bernied
August 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Have a look at the power supply, that should tell you the maximum amount supplied to the machine. This is not the same as the consumption, because the power supply will lose some as heat, but it's probably about the same because the laptop won't be running on full power all the time.

So, my laptop is 65W, so for one day 65W x 24h is 1560Wh or 1.5kWh per day. Electricity prices are weird and complex, but it looks like about 10p per kWh, so 15p per day, which is about a fiver a month. Though, if it's not up to much, then maybe it would only use half of that.

jgrabham
August 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Have a look at the power supply, that should tell you the maximum amount supplied to the machine. This is not the same as the consumption, because the power supply will lose some as heat, but it's probably about the same because the laptop won't be running on full power all the time.

So, my laptop is 65W, so for one day 65W x 24h is 1560Wh or 1.5kWh per day. Electricity prices are weird and complex, but it looks like about 10p per kWh, so 15p per day, which is about a fiver a month. Though, if it's not up to much, then maybe it would only use half of that.

Doesnt matter, builing a pc out of old parts to do the same job, but faster

slimdog360
August 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
keeping in mind that the computer won't constantly use that sort of power.

Syke
August 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
If you already have it running, right-click on the battery icon and select "Power History", then under Graph Type select "Power History", and you'll see a chart of how much power the laptop is using.

Somewhere around 10 to 20 watts is pretty normal for a lot of laptops.