PDA

View Full Version : where can i get free slackware CD.

cmrk07
August 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
friends, I am interested in using linux. pls tell me where can i get free SLACKWARE CD.

I await for ur reply.

Steven_B
August 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
You can download the CD images (http://www.slackware.org/getslack/), and burn them yourself. I don't think Slackware has an equivalent to Ubuntu's Shipit.
If you're new to Linux, Slackware may not be the best place to start. I would suggest taking a look at the most popular options here: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
friends, I am interested in using linux. pls tell me where can i get free SLACKWARE CD.

I await for ur reply.

Simple answer is that Patrick Veerhogen, a man who is the maintainer of the oldest still running distro and is suffereing from illness can't afford the things that billionaires like Mark can and so there is no free CD, you can download and burn it for yourself but this is a one man operation that has very limited funds.

I'd say that you can get Ubuntu for free because of him though, because without Patrick a lot of things would not have happened.

Bachstelze
August 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Simple answer is that Patrick Veerhogen, a man who is the maintainer of the oldest still running distro and is suffereing from illness can't afford the things that billionaires like Mark can and so there is no free CD, you can download and burn it for yourself but this is a one man operation that has very limited funds.

I'd say that you can get Ubuntu for free because of him though, because without Patrick a lot of things would not have happened.

He's called Patrick Volkerding. And may I ask which illness he's suffering from ?

apetresc
August 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
He's called Patrick Volkerding. And may I ask which illness he's suffering from ?

WAS suffering. He made a full recovery about two years ago. I believe the technical term was "Actinomyces israelii" but it was a fairly rare thing. He was in the hospital for a long time and things were not looking good; the doctors were baffled, but then he self-diagnosed himself using Google, and thanks to that he made a full recovery. It was really quite an inspirational story.

While it was happening, he was keeping a "blog" about it on a file on the slackware server titled "PAT-NEEDS-YOUR-HELP.txt". After his recovery he took it down, but Google Cache still has a copy if you want to read his version of the story firsthand: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:eAyVL6jpjsQJ:ftp.ist.utl.pt/pub/slackware/slackware-current/PAT-NEEDS-YOUR-HELP.txt+PAT-NEEDS-YOUR-HELP.txt&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

I personally find his story inspiring.

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Sorry about that, i always mix up Veerhogen with Volkerding.

[EDIT] i removed the last line because if he wants you to know, he'll tell you himself [/QUOTE]