PDA

View Full Version : Fish Fillets NG

charlieg
July 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I can't believe, given that it's available in Ubuntu, fish fillets was not mentioned on this forum prior to my arrival.

This game is awesome. :D

This game is hideously addictive. It should come with a health warning. Some of the puzzles are so damned hard yet so incredibly simple that it will drive you potty. I warn in advance this game could seriously impact your productivity, if you value it.

The website, which explains the basic gameplay elements:
http://fillets.sourceforge.net

However, there's no substitute for actually playing it. It's got nice graphics, great sound and the fish speaking czech even adds atmosphere. Don't worry, there's english subtitles and the speech can be turned off.

If you lose sleep, don't say I didn't warn you! [-X

stoffe
July 24th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Hey thanks for the tip - I didn't know it was available (downloading the data as I write this). I've played it before when I was a Windows user, and I remember it being a great game then. I think the czech speech only adds to the atmosphere even though I don't understand a word of it. :)

I'm afraid I'm gonna lose some sleep over this yes :-\", but at least I know what I'm getting into! :grin:

charlieg
July 24th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I think the 'not understanding' czech is what makes it atmospheric. You can somewhat imagine that is how fish might speak, should they ever be able to speak. Of course, these are two very special fish.

stoffe
July 24th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I had to add the line setParam("speech", "cs") to ~/.fillets-ng/script/options.lua to get the speech to work, otherwise it seems to work as it should.

It is a bit annoying that these games don't add themselves to the game menu... it's filled with lots of games I would assume noone ever tries twice, but games like these should definitely have a menu entry!

Edit: The briefing on level 2, hilarious! I had forgotten it! :D

charlieg
July 24th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Also we should shortly get the 0.7 update to Fish Fillets in backports. (My request was accepted (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=51513) - hoorah!)