PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed at an ubuntu course

vexorian
August 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
I joined an ubuntu course in this country, hey I knew that it was a good chance to get some canonical CDs! (although was mostly hoping for stickers and I didn't get them !) Also wanted to see if it was good and a certificate is always good to prove you know ubuntu ...

But:
- The main computer that was supposed to use a projector was somehow wrong, it turned out the install cd used there was damaged, so (...) there was no projection for the install procedure! And not only that but most of the computers we were using already got ubuntu installed, so the installation experience was nothing like the one when you install it over windows.

Yes, this means that the most important part of the course , dealing with partitions and dual boot, was totally missing!

- Once everybody got it installed, the expositor made some serious blunders! The "basic" things he taught were: "Adding my computer and recycle bin to the desktop" , "Adding a super user account (I guess he doesn't like sudo" and a shameless plug for Knnopix ...

This is what I seriously didn't like at all, all the rest of the course will be based on using the root account, and won't teach anything about sudo, I think that "learning ubuntu" is effectively not "learning ubuntu" without sudo.

We left a lot of things for tomorrow since there was no internet there yet....

But well possitive stuff:
- I have learned that it is possible to have a root account so people that don't like sudo can do things their way in ubuntu.
- I have learned about fdisk -l
- I have learned plenty of things about gconf-editor.

Let's see if things get better tomorrow...