PDA

View Full Version : Linux users should demand Linux games

hessiess
August 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Linux users should ask the game company's to make Linux games, it may poswade them that there is mony to be made from other platforms. besides winblows:popcorn:

comments?

bobbocanfly
August 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
The best way to make other game companies notice is to buy lots of Linux games from the Indie companies that currently create Games for Linux, like Introversion (The people behind Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON, all brilliant games, should go and check them out). Also dont buy windows versions of anything. The only way the "corporations" are going to take notice is if you speak with your wallet. Any mass emailing system from Linux users will be branded as spam by the media, and who has more media control? Us or the big companies.

original_jamingrit
August 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have Deus Ex and Starcraft working perfectly through wine, that's all I need. I haven't tried Alpha Centauri in wine yet, that's a good game too.

Sayers
August 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
The only way to have it fixed is to get more linux users. However I don't think paying for software is right >:)

vexorian
August 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
The priority should be attacking game devs like blizzard who already target Mac.

Think on this: If you target PC you make your game compatible with x86, if you target Mac then you are forced to use OpenGL and support a /home/ and stuff infraestructure, then you already got a hunchfull of elements that would make porting to Linux very easy, so there's just lazyness behind not making them...

original_jamingrit
August 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
In general I think of software as tools. I can justify paying for games, since they are strictly entertainment, and not as essential. There are tons of free games on the bloggonet floating around, though.

vexorian
August 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
well nobody minds paying for a game, the issue is when game makers choose the platform for you thus removing your basic freedoms as a customer and forcing you to pay licenses of OSes you don't like.

bread eyes
August 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
The only way to have it fixed is to get more linux users.

...or make better libraries and more widely adopt LSB.

tigerpants
August 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Linux users should ask the game company's to make Linux games, it may poswade them that there is mony to be made from other platforms. besides winblows:popcorn:

comments?

Why? PC games market is dying a slow painful death as it is. I haev two friends, both senior leads in top games companies, both saying that the PC market is on its way out. Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) is very low compared to consoles. Even MS and Sony are feeling the pinch on their install bases. Linux install base is just not viable or cost effective. Ain't gonna happen no matter how hard you cry about it.

hessiess
August 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
i HATE consoles. thay run on tv's witch have crappy resolotions. hd tv is utterly pointless at the moment becose there is absolutly nothing worth watching!

beefcurry
August 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
We tried asking Steam, but we just got banned instead.

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/VALVe_Ultimatum_Discuss_Linux_and_get_BANNED

In the mean time I'll stick with the Wii and PS3 for my gaming needs :)

i HATE consoles. thay run on tv's witch have crappy resolotions. hd tv is utterly pointless at the moment becose there is absolutly nothing worth watching!

absolutely not true, get a tv box (cost around $40) and you can play it on your 20 inch computer lcd. whala! And its not the Consoles fault, GET A HD TV!!!!!!

hessiess
August 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
if the whole comunaty asked, then you may get somewere:lolflag:

bobbocanfly
August 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
We tried asking Steam, but we just got banned instead.

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/VALVe_Ultimatum_Discuss_Linux_and_get_BANNED

I doubt Valve will modify any games to be offically supported on Linux any time soon. They have aleady created 2 of the biggest selling games ever and must be raking it in from royalties for distributing games on Steam. They have their formula, its making them millions, i doubt they will change it, we can always hope though!