PDA

View Full Version : What does my avatar look like?

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I thought my avatar was clear, but someone could not make sense of the picture. Can anyone here see what it is a picture of?

marsmissionaries
August 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
looks like someone reading a book

Martje_001
August 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yep. 2 people.. a child and an adult.

smoker
August 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
looks like someone reading a book

a sheep with black eyes reading a book?
:lolflag:

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks, it is a single person on a couch reading a book. I don't know how the person couldn't see that, must be a brain thing.

(There is only one person, here is the full colour picture)

original_jamingrit
August 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
I've been reading too much Stephen King. At first I thought it was someone lying on their side in a pool of blood with a gun in their hand.

I know, I scare myself too.

Now that I know what it really is, I can't see what I had seen anymore.

Paul820
August 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yep. 2 people.. a child and an adult.

Where? I can see a hand holding a book but that's it.

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I couldn't really say.

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Look at the colour picture. Post 5

smoker
August 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
hme, i think you should use the colour pic!

what is the book?

RomeReactor
August 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
I see an elderly Count Dracula smiling and looking at the top-right of the screen... hrmmm...

Takmadeus
August 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Curiously enough I see a face of a man strringing his moustache :p

notwen
August 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
what is the book?

I agree, what book might this person that has caused so much controversy be reading?!?!?

---EDIT---

Since we're on the subject is my avatar clear and not too confusing as to what it may or not be? TIA =]

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
The picture is of Per Ohlin (http://www.peryngveohlin.com/), my favourite singer. He is Dead, now, and I have no idea what he was reading. If you want to know how he died, google "Dawn of the Black Hearts".

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
I agree, what book might this person that has caused so much controversy be reading?!?!?

---EDIT---

Since we're on the subject is my avatar clear and not too confusing as to what it may or not be? TIA =]

A pig's snout, I would guess?

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
It looks like a tatoo, of what, I can't say.

DoctorMO
August 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
I got it first try, what did you do to the image btw?

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Now that you mention it - I can see it as well.

There are some things which threw me:

The light area on the left hand edge of the image is somewhat suggestive of an elderly chap looking from left to right.

The 'real' face is not readily recognizable because it is rather bleached out.

On the other hand, there are two largish dark spots on the top of the head (on the hair) which do not assist greatly in recognizing the rest of the head.

The part of the hair running from the head to the shoulder just to the right of the head has the same apparent brightness as the part of the face next to it, thus making it rather difficult to parse.

'Left' and 'right' as seen by the beholder, not with respect to the person nearly visible in the image.

But then, such things are highly subjective.

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
I got it first try, what did you do to the image btw?

Saved it as a monochrome bitmap, and then converted it into a png. (In MS Paint)

ceelo
August 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
kind of looks like Dracula to me.

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Look at the site I mentioned on post 5 to see other pictures of him.

fuscia
August 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
looks like a butterfly.

LaRoza
August 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe we could Freud here to interpret all this...

Happy_Man
August 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
I thought that it was some kind of creepy ghost thing.....

ThinkBuntu
August 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
A mountain. Maybe drawn in the old Japanese style.

HeavyAl
August 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Took me a moment to figure it out, but it appears to be someone reading a book.

%hMa@?b<C
August 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
I thought that is was the gopher from caddyshack either that or something with a gun :oops:

Turboaaa2001
August 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
When it comes to avatars I only briefly look at them. the only time when I pay attention is if it's someone I like or get-along with.

When I first saw your avatar out of the side of my eye I thought it was of some rodent or something. The monochrome of the persons hair look like dark spots of fur on a rat.

Incense
August 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
I see a crazy bird man with a hatchet for one hand, and a claw for another... :confused:

miggols99
August 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
I always thought it looked like some kind of frog...

rohit88
August 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
M still trying to figure that out~:D

dca
August 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Kevin Costner?

Old Pink
August 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I had no idea. I'd also thought "gun" and animal. Why this person?

FuturePilot
August 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I thought it was a gun too. But now that I see it's two people reading a book, I can't see the gun anymore:lol:

LaRoza
August 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I had no idea. I'd also thought "gun" and animal. Why this person?

Page one has the original picture.

The person in the pictue is Per Ohlin.

He was the singer for Mayhem, a Black Metal band, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_(band)) (Look at Classic Line Up)

I only like Mayhem's music he was involved in.

The point of that particular picture is, when people think of him, the may just see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Dead105.jpg, but he is a real person, not what he was on stage. His life was much like mine, but I survived and was able to overcome.

I didn't want a colour picture, and wanted a "human" picture, so I made a monochrome picture out of another.

Lostincyberspace
January 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Here I was thinking it was a tsunami

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM
His life was much like mine, but I survived and was able to overcome.

In other words, you didn't have friends who ate your brains in a stew and made a necklace out of pieces of your skull.

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 04:11 AM
In other words, you didn't have friends who ate your brains in a stew and made a necklace out of pieces of your skull.

...and I didn't kill myself.

Øystein Aarseth was a Satanic Christian, and a sick person. Varg Vikernes stabbed him after he was attacked. (He went beyond self defense however, and is serving time for it)

I like Burzum and classic Mayhem.

Linuxratty
January 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I see an elderly Count Dracula smiling and looking at the top-right of the screen... hrmmm...

As do I...With a thin stick touching his face and going to the edge of his mouth.

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Øystein Aarseth was a Satanic Christian, and a sick person. Varg Vikernes stabbed him after he was attacked. (He went beyond self defense however, and is serving time for it)

How is it possible to be a Satanic Christian? That's kind of contradictory, isn't it?

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
How is it possible to be a Satanic Christian? That's kind of contradictory, isn't it?

To me, and others:

Satanic == Church of Satan -- Don't believe in God, devils, demons, angels or anything. Completely atheist. Founded by: Anton Szandor LaVey See: http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html

Pagan == Not a believer of a monotheistic religion, often believes in ancient or revived religions. Varg Vikernes at one point. He doesn't believe in anything Christian, and kind of hates them

Satanic Christian == Believe of the Bibler, but accepts Evil and Satan as portrayed in the Bible.

The Christian portrayal of evil is given in the Bible, only Christians believe in the Bible. Therefore, to believe in the Christian Satan, you must accept the Bible.

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I know the difference between the Church of Satan and Satan worshipers, which is what I think I would call him. I don't think I would call him a Christian of any sort.

Sporkman
January 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks, it is a single person on a couch reading a book. I don't know how the person couldn't see that, must be a brain thing.

Are you the hippie in question? :D

(** never mind - you answered that already)

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I know the difference between the Church of Satan and Satan worshipers, which is what I think I would call him. I don't think I would call him a Christian of any sort.

It doesn't mean he's a Christian, it means he believes in the Christian Satan.

(The Bible points out that the Devil can quote scripture, and probably knows God much better than any human)

The term is just used to differentiate between the different uses of the word "Satan".

To a Christian, this differences are moot, because all things not by God, are Satanic. To the Count, he is not Satanic, because he doesn't believe in anything Christian.

The difference is great, Øystein Aarseth was a Satanic Christian and was fully aware of the abhorant things he did, Per was not and neither was Varg.

LaRoza
January 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Are you the hippie in question? :D

(** never mind - you answered that already)

Per Ohlin was not a hippie, and no. :)

Jay_Bee
January 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
To me at first glance looked like a a person with a hat,
on second look it looked like 2 people, one that is actually on the picture and another one that white spot on the left, and they were holding glasses or mugs (hands and the book)

swoll1980
January 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
A cow chewing on someones foot :lolflag:

insane_alien
January 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
huh, i seen a witch smoking a pipe.

took me a while to make out the person reading the book even after seeing the picture.

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
huh, i seen a witch smoking a pipe.

took me a while to make out the person reading the book even after seeing the picture.

Interesting. Some people see it immediately, some need a couple seconds, and some can't see it at all until the see the original.

I wish I knew more about the brain and what plays a role in this.

matthew
January 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I vote for "monk" or "jedi" with Alice Cooper makeup, reading a book. This is what I always see, colorized for your convenience...

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I vote for "monk" or "jedi" reading a book. This is what I always see, colorized for your convenience...

Cool. Here is the original:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39633&d=1186069842

-grubby
January 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I've always liked your avatar and wondered where the original was. But now I can see it

LaRoza
January 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I've always liked your avatar and wondered where the original was. But now I can see it

The original is on the first page of this thread. I reposted it for those who didn't see it.

Save it as a mono chrome bitmap, and it will be my avatar.

bharadwaj
January 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Saved it as a monochrome bitmap, and then converted it into a png. (In MS Paint)
MS Paint? did you emulate it or you use windows for any purpose? Ah.. your thankful posts its just too much 232 in 203 :shock:

LaRoza
January 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
MS Paint? did you emulate it or you use windows for any purpose? Ah.. your thankful posts its just too much 232 in 203 :shock:

I did it a long time ago when I happened to be in Windows. I didn't use MS Paint for a specific reason.

I can't help it if people thank me, should I give them infractions :)

faraz_k86
February 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
oh so now i see what it is.

it looked like a crow holding a book in its beak or beek or whatever the spelling may be O_O

aaaantoine
February 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
oh so now i see what it is.

it looked like a crow holding a book in its beak or beek or whatever the spelling may be O_O

I saw something along these lines as well, until I actually made a conscious effort to study the avatar. Then I saw "someone reading a book."

In passing, it always looked like some sort of bird to me.

Het Irv
February 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have always thought that it was an old man scratching his head. with a Pope hat

suibhne
February 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
a spider trying to steal a book glued to a hand with Jesus Christ looking over it all

TorqueyPete
February 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
LOL!! So, it took a missionary to Mars to be the first to recognise it! :)

kool_kat_os
February 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
i thought it was a mountain,,,woops

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM

Awww - is that you?

:-?

angryfirelord
February 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM
Without knowing the color picture, it looked like a guy with a mustache wearing a cap and smoking a pipe.

I don't know, blame the advil! :p

Kingsley
February 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Look up Dawn of the Black Hearts on Wikipedia. It's an album with an awesome cover picture of Laroza's avatar guy after he commits suicide.

Presto123
February 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
I honestly thought it was a count (aka vampire). It kind of looks like Count Chocula if you ask me.

chips24
February 22nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
I thought my avatar was clear, but someone could not make sense of the picture. Can anyone here see what it is a picture of?

a messed up witch reading a book.

Presto123
February 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM

LOL..so I wasn't the only one.

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
I thought it was a wolf howling at the moon, sort of like the Amarok logo.

Then, I realized the creature had far too long a nose, so I figured it was an animal like an anteater or something.

I just now saw it. Wow.

:lolflag:

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Look up Dawn of the Black Hearts on Wikipedia. It's an album with an awesome cover picture of Laroza's avatar guy after he commits suicide.

Do NOT do this. Definitely NSFW and totally pointless unless you like pictures of mutilated dead people.

RAV TUX
February 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I thought my avatar was clear, but someone could not make sense of the picture. Can anyone here see what it is a picture of?Two little girls reading a book.

LaRoza
February 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Look up Dawn of the Black Hearts on Wikipedia.

Do NOT do this. Definitely NSFW and totally pointless unless you like pictures of mutilated dead people.

Per Ohlin, stage name "Dead", was a singer in the Black Metal band Mayhem. He did commit suicide in 1991, and a sicker member of the band did take a picture of the body when he found it, before reporting it.

Øystein Aarseth was the one who took the picture (and other things) and I found that individuals actions horrible. He (Øystein Aarseth) was killed by Varg Vikernes, possibly in self defense.

The reason why I have an affinity for Per Ohlin and his music is personal.

This is how is was seen during his life:

http://www.findagrave.com/photos/2004/15/8282589_1074236742.jpg

This is what he really was:

The picture of his dead body isn't clean, he did use a shotgun, so I advise anyone not wanting to see that not to see that article.

I think the picture is safe for work, but not safe for those with weak stomachs.

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Per Ohlin, stage name "Dead", was a singer in the Black Metal band Mayhem. He did commit suicide in 1991, and a sicker member of the band did take a picture of the body when he found it, before reporting it.

Øystein Aarseth was the one who took the picture (and other things) and I found that individuals actions horrible. He (Øystein Aarseth) was killed by Varg Vikernes, possibly in self defense.

The reason why I have an affinity for Per Ohlin and his music is personal.

This is how is was seen during his life:

http://www.findagrave.com/photos/2004/15/8282589_1074236742.jpg

This is what he really was:

The picture of his dead body isn't clean, he did use a shotgun, so I advise anyone not wanting to see that not to see that article.

I think the picture is safe for work, but not safe for those with weak stomachs.

I actually knew all that (big fan of metal here) but thanks anyway. Just warning anyone who might have a BOS situation to not click it. ;)

Mayhem is a great band, that's for sure.

LaRoza
February 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Mayhem is a great band, that's for sure.

Was a great band. It changed too much, different people, different style equals a different band to me.

azurepancake
June 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
I agree about Mayhem. Wolf Lairs Abyss would be the final album I enjoyed from them. Although, believe it or not (a lot of people I know disagree with me on this), but I really like Attila Csihar's vocals. Sends shivers down my spine.