PDA

View Full Version : Cvs

McNabUx
August 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I am starting a litle project of mine, and i want to use a CVS system.
I know about CVS and SVN, but i am working on this alone and on my laptop.
So i wounderd if there was a small CVS application that i can install and run manually ?

kknd
August 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am starting a litle project of mine, and i want to use a CVS system.
I know about CVS and SVN, but i am working on this alone and on my laptop.
So i wounderd if there was a small CVS application that i can install and run manually ?

You can make a local CVS repository =)

See this instructions: http://www-mrsrl.stanford.edu/~brian/cvstutorial/

pmasiar
August 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
I would not waste time learning CVS anymore. CVS team years ago decided CVS is beyond fixing, and redesigned it from the ground up - result is Subversion == SVN. It is rock stable for couple years now, mature and production ready. Projects are switching from CVS to SVN (or other VCS, like bazaar, git, etc), why would you start new project on obsolete technology? installing either (CVS or SVN) is couple clicks in synaptic, you need to learn administering either one, why not learn one with the future?

kknd
August 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
I would not waste time learning CVS anymore. CVS team years ago decided CVS is beyond fixing, and redesigned it from the ground up - result is Subversion == SVN. It is rock stable for couple years now, mature and production ready. Projects are switching from CVS to SVN (or other VCS, like bazaar, git, etc), why would you start new project on obsolete technology? installing either (CVS or SVN) is couple clicks in synaptic, you need to learn administering either one, why not learn one with the future?

Yes, SVN is better than CVS. But learn one that you will learn both.