PDA

View Full Version : Total Ubunbtu users

carlo bolzonello
August 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Hi All.

I just want to run a poll to see how many people use Ubuntu, thanks for you imput

rahimveron
August 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
I use Ubuntu for almost 90% of my work but only boot into XP when i have to scan as I have Lexmark X1185 which does not work here in Ubuntu.
Safely i can say good bye Windows and a warm embrace to Ubuntu

helliewm
August 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
I use it 100% on my 2 laptops and my Desktop. I don't use Windows ever.

curuxz
August 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
I have to say I USE ubuntu (or other linux like debian) 99.9999999% of the time, but keep xp for the odd test or game (not that i have time to play games much these days :( )

Spr0k3t
August 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
My personal work stuff is Linux of some flavor... currently I have DSL on an older lappy for speed and portability. At home it's 100% "Nothing But *Buntu" as it's a fantastic desktop distro.

Real numbers wise is estimated somewhere around 30 million last I heard (Ubuntu at least). That was coming from Mark S. based on the number of downloads off the Canonical servers over a period of 48 hours at the release of Feisty. To give you an idea, I know about twenty people in my area alone that don't frequent the forums much. Based on the numbers for Ubuntu distros there are probably more than 100+mil Linux users... even if you exclude the server scope.

lisati
August 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I use Ubuntu 100% on my laptop, occasionally on my desktop (I've kept XP home for some video editing software that I can't be bothered figuring out how to run with Wine) and not at all on my old desktop (it's getting a bit old and tired)

EDIT: You might want to visit http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/

Alexander2007
August 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Ubuntu

init1
August 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Hi All.

I just want to run a poll to see how many people use Ubuntu, thanks for you imput
I use Ubuntu most of time, but I also use Mepis, Oz, and others at times. I might install Mandriva later today.

Tomosaur
August 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I use Ubuntu and Windows. Windows I use for recording / making music, Ubuntu for everything else.

Babbage
August 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I think I read somewhere that Canonical servers get a ping each time Ubuntu's installed. Is that correct? That should give an idea of the number of total users worldwide.

cmat
August 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Or it could be by downloads... but that would be an inaccurate measure of how many people have it.

ertrules22
August 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I use ubuntu all the time on a laptop that I have. I also use FreeBSD on an older laptop (only 128 mb ram). But, I have Vista on my home computer, which I am not impressed with at all, and I use Windows XP at work (and sometimes my Ubuntu laptop)

Depressed Man
August 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows (for games..well for my laptop it's cause Vista came preinstalled and if I just deleted it, I'd be wasting money). But I spend most of my computing time in Ubuntu.

Ultra Magnus
August 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I think they had ~12million unique ip addresses downloading feisty compared to ~3 million for dapper (or edgy) i can't remember.

Even if it doesn/t give a good indication to the number of users it does show how the user base has increased!