PDA

View Full Version : Looks like OSX is officially a UNIX

hanzomon4
August 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Leopard gets UNIX 03 certification (http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2007/07/leopard_gets_un.html)

bread eyes
August 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
well, duh

init1
August 2nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
well, duh
Not really a "duh". Not all POSIX OS's are considered "UNIX". In fact, most are not. Linux is not, BSD is not, Minix is not, Plan 9 is not, and many others are not.

izanbardprince
August 2nd, 2007, 01:53 AM
The bigger question is, does it really matter?

I'm sure if you go by percentages in who uses POSIX operating systems, Linux has at least a hundred times as many users as MAC OS, I don't see a lot of programs that try to go out and get UNIX certified, because the truth is that Linux is the de facto standard these days.

That aside, Linux would probably qualify for UNIX '03, but the cost of getting it certified is prohibitively expensive, then the very next time there's a kernel patch, they're back to square one, Apple on the other hand, can afford the hit because they charge an obscene amount of money for their OS, then an obscene amount of money every time they hit people up for point upgrades.

bread eyes
August 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Not really a "duh". Not all POSIX OS's are considered "UNIX". In fact, most are not. Linux is not, BSD is not, Minix is not, Plan 9 is not, and many others are not.

True, true

metallicamaster3
August 2nd, 2007, 02:31 AM
Not too long until Apple takes over the marketing world. :D

Nekiruhs
August 2nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
??? Mac OS X is open source??!?Can anyone verify this? Maybe a link to where the source can be found?

Mac users, realize that qualifying for UNIX is no small feat, especially for an open source, BSD-based OS.

maniacmusician
August 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
??? Mac OS X is open source??!?Can anyone verify this? Maybe a link to where the source can be found?
lol OSX is not open source. at all. They've released parts of their source code (like Webkit, and IIRC, they sent their TCP/IP stack upstream to whoever maintains Darwin), but very little. They are capitalists through and through, and they think there's less profit in open source, so they keep it all closed up.

Anthem
August 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
The kernel is open source, and the kernel is what makes it UNIX.

Hex_Mandos
August 2nd, 2007, 03:05 AM
Darwin (which is more or less a complete OS, not just a kernel) is open source, released under an obscure Apple license so code can't be included in Linux or BSD. OS X is Darwin plus the mac GUI layers.

maniacmusician
August 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Darwin (which is more or less a complete OS, not just a kernel) is open source, released under an obscure Apple license so code can't be included in Linux or BSD. OS X is Darwin plus the mac GUI layers.
Right, Darwin is open source. It's a large part of the operating system, but OSX is more than just darwin. Though without stealing it, they wouldn't be where they are. but still, I'd say that the majority of their code isn't open source, and OSX itself certainly isn't. But yes, I suppose Darwin would be considered open source.

Adamant1988
August 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
The bigger question is, does it really matter?

I'm sure if you go by percentages in who uses POSIX operating systems, Linux has at least a hundred times as many users as MAC OS, I don't see a lot of programs that try to go out and get UNIX certified, because the truth is that Linux is the de facto standard these days.

That aside, Linux would probably qualify for UNIX '03, but the cost of getting it certified is prohibitively expensive, then the very next time there's a kernel patch, they're back to square one, Apple on the other hand, can afford the hit because they charge an obscene amount of money for their OS, then an obscene amount of money every time they hit people up for point upgrades.

The operative words in that sentence are 'these days'. That can change, and change quickly. Never, ever, underestimate a competitor, ever.

mips
August 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM

True. From what I recall the only reason BSD is not an 'official' unix is because the certification costs to much. Read this somewhere on a bsd site a while back.

hanzomon4
August 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Some important industries still rely on UNIX right?

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
OS X is 90% Propriety software. You have to buy a license to use it. Why would they need a Unix stamp on the box. Apple is already growing in leaps and bounds when it comes to market foot hold, and at this point is the biggest threat to that other well loved Richmond based company,

Why I ask Why...

It is not like the Linux or Unix lovers can just go out and buy a copy of OS X and install it on any old desktop machine that we got lying around. then you might as well just install XP, its simpler. I know it is possible to install OS X on a normal Desktop but that involves a massive task which includes booting from a ubuntu live CD :) . unless the stamp is to show network compatibility but then they need a MS stamp on the box as well

Have i got the wrong end of the stick? please put me straight if i am wrong.

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Windows isn't a Unix, either, though it boasts some kind of posix layer.

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Windows isn't a Unix, either, though it boasts some kind of posix layer.

But If Microsoft was to get a Unix stamp, it would be a sine of weakness from them... won't it?

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
OS X is 90% Propriety software. You have to buy a license to use it. Why would they need a Unix stamp on the box. Apple is already growing in leaps and bounds when it comes to market foot hold, and at this point is the biggest threat to that other well loved Richmond based company,

Why I ask Why...

It is not like the Linux or Unix lovers can just go out and buy a copy of OS X and install it on any old desktop machine that we got lying around. then you might as well just install XP, its simpler. I know it is possible to install OS X on a normal Desktop but that involves a massive task which includes booting from a ubuntu live CD :) . unless the stamp is to show network compatibility but then they need a MS stamp on the box as well

Have i got the wrong end of the stick? please put me straight if i am wrong.

Also, the license forbids you to use OS X on any computer but an Apple.

Nonetheless, one of the advantages of OS X being some kind of Unix is that anyone who knows how to use a Unix system has a good chance of understanding and using OS X. Which can not be said for people who only do Windows.

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Also, the license forbids you to use OS X on any computer but an Apple.

Nonetheless, one of the advantages of OS X being some kind of Unix is that anyone who knows how to use a Unix system has a good chance of understanding and using OS X. Which can not be said for people who only do Windows.

True true. Maybe they hopping to gain the favor of the Linux community with having the stamp on the box. Sine of good faith if you will

popch
August 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
True true. Maybe they hopping to gain the favor of the Linux community with having the stamp on the box. Sine of good faith if you will

I do not think that showing good faith is very high on Apple's priority list.
Presumably, they can develop new versions and/or new functions faster and cheaper if they do not have to bother about the ramifications of yet another system architecture which a non-unix OS would bring about. It is also possible that they think they can sell it better if it is recognized as a kind of Unix system.

slimdog360
August 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Ive been looking around on the mac fourms a little lately and they seem to love the idea that OSX is based on UNIX. Every chance they get its unix this, unix that. You can tell the darwin foundation when you open up a terminal in OSX, it says "welcome to darwin".

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Maybe it is Linux envy :lolflag:

hanzomon4
August 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Nope, UNIX just looks neat....

http://images.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/images/indextop20050412.jpg

Can't you just feel the power? :lolflag:

Adamant1988
August 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM

Yeah, Apple is envious of Linux so they decided to get a certification that only 3 other companies have managed to get... right.

hanzomon4
August 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Apple is envious of Linux so they decided to get a certification that only 3 other companies have managed to get... right.

Lighten up it's just a joke,

popcorn? :popcorn:

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Nope, UNIX just looks neat....

http://images.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/images/indextop20050412.jpg

Can't you just feel the power? :lolflag:

Eye of the Tiger does come to mind :guitar:

izanbardprince
August 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
The operative words in that sentence are 'these days'. That can change, and change quickly. Never, ever, underestimate a competitor, ever.

I don't think Linux is in any danger of being unseated as long as:

(1) Apple keeps their current pricing/licensing scheme in place.
(2) Linux has quality enterprise solutions such as Red Hat, CentOS, Debian, etc.

And you know that Sun's Solaris has UNIX certification as well.

The hardest thing about being UNIX certified is coughing up the money.

b9anders
August 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
maybe I am missing something but what is the supposed benefit for apple here? Is it just plain branding?

GStubbs43
August 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I like how "Apple's Open Group brand certificate" (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1190p.pdf) (PDF) is titled "Microsoft Word - 1190p.doc"

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
maybe I am missing something but what is the supposed benefit for apple here? Is it just plain branding?

I think it is just for marketing.

(2) Linux has quality enterprise solutions such as Red Hat, CentOS, Debian, etc.

I don't really see Apple being a big threat towards Linux they still require licensing. The license might not be as expensive as MS but the machines does make up for that. So from a threat perspective they do pose a bigger risk to MS then to Linux distros.

spooner
August 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM

Urm try
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

Nunu
August 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Urm try
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

SO if I wanted to be vindictive, i could have taken the source code make some changes and sell it of as a Apple OS called BSOS X ?????

Adamant1988
August 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Apple already sells servers. They could magically cough up a version of OS X that would preform quite well on a server, and be a major competitor to Red Hat, or any other Linux distribution. Then companies like Red Hat and Novell would have to fight with the superb marketing from Apple, and if you've ever seen how these things go... it's all about how things are marketed.

Or they could keep doing like they're doing. But making statements like you made shows you don't worry about them, and if you were in Red Hat's position you should be worried enough to not doubt them.

Nunu
August 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Apple already sells servers.

Out of interest do have any prices on those boxes. If you compare an HP workstation to there server range there is a large difference in pricing, I would like to see if Apple did the same thing and what the Gap in pricing would be.

hanzomon4
August 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Apple already sells servers. They could magically cough up a version of OS X that would preform quite well on a server,

Mac OS X Server (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/)?