PDA

View Full Version : How-to block firefox for a few hours

norman_
August 2nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
Hi all

So here's my problem. How do I block firefox for a few hours so that I won't go surfing (like now) and avoid working on my things? My productivity is really decreasing and I have absolutely no will power...

Thanks in advance!

Vince

WastingBody
August 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Disconnect from the internet?

Nikron
August 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
sudo ifconfig eth0 down && sleep 3h && sudo ifconfig eth0 up

DoctorMO
August 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
If your productivity requires the internet you could just block port 80 in iptables or do what I do and use hosts.conf to point all those bad sites at my local ip; any time I try and visit groklaw or theregister I'm pointed back to my work :-)

matthinckley
August 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
you could set up access rules in your router.. linksys routers have policies you can set up so you can block internet access certain hours of the day.. I run Tomato firmware and it has very useful features that do stuff like that

bread eyes
August 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
Get more will power.

tcpip4lyfe
August 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM
Sudo apt-get remove firefox

swoll1980
August 2nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Get more will power.

addictions are what they are. easy to start hard to stop. surely you have at least one drinking, smoking, food, sex, working on a car, Jesus. His addiction to the internet are no different than yours

~LoKe
August 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
If you can't restrain yourself, then anything you put in place to do so will only fail.

RomeReactor
August 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Hi. The downside to setting up your own restrictions is that, when your urge to open Firefox and browse a few sites reaches a certain level, you could very well find yourself bypassing the restrictions you set up earlier. Resisting that temptation is very hard to do, and I know no amount of sympathy will make you more productive or feel any better about it. My recommendation is to try and make your work environment a little more interesting, so you don't wander off--so to speak--to other activities; try listening to your favorite music while at work, remember to take a few breaks so it doesn't become too stressful or tedious.

I know this is all very basic advice, and you didn't ask for it, and maybe you're already doing all of this, or you've tried it before; I don't know. Just posted this in the hopes of trying to offer a bit of help. Addiction to the internet is very serious indeed, particularly when it interferes with relationships and work.

curuxz
August 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

that is such a cool command, never thought of using the sleep thing like that! HA, all sorts of fun could be had making people do this :D

bobbocanfly
August 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Sudo apt-get remove firefox

Or even better:

sudo apt-get remove firefox && sleep 3H &&sudo apt-get install firefox

bvanaerde
August 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Or even better:

sudo apt-get remove firefox && sleep 3H &&sudo apt-get install firefox

Are you sure this is possible? After 3 hours, you will surely be asked to enter your password again, right? I'm tempted to try it out though :)

bobbocanfly
August 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Are you sure this is possible? After 3 hours, you will surely be asked to enter your password again, right? I'm tempted to try it out though :)
I have absolutely no idea though i think it should work :D Just thought id post it to see if anyone was mental enough to give it a go. Might try it on conky or something a little less critical than firefox when i get back from work.

Martje_001
August 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
You have to put in in a script.

#! /bin/bash

save it an run it:

./script &
Now close the terminal...

%hMa@?b<C
August 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
wow, clever usage of sleep. never really envisioned using it like that.

bread eyes
August 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
addictions are what they are. easy to start hard to stop. surely you have at least one drinking, smoking, food, sex, working on a car, Jesus. His addiction to the internet are no different than yours

Actually I can't think of any.

vambo
August 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Hi all

So here's my problem. How do I block firefox for a few hours so that I won't go surfing (like now) and avoid working on my things? My productivity is really decreasing and I have absolutely no will power...

Thanks in advance!

Vince

sudo apt-get install willpower

:)

sailor2001
August 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
sudo apt-get remove week-will person

ThinkBuntu
August 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Spend a few minutes in Craigslist's Rants n Raves. Either your productivity will go through the floor, or you'll be so disgusted by the internet that you'll steer clear of it for a long time.

forrestcupp
August 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM

Everyone is raving about your idea, but your sig says "Disregard anything I post."

picpak
August 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Well, the topic clearly says "How-to block firefox for a few hours", so why not try:

sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/firefox && sleep 3h && sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/firefox

That will prevent Firefox from being able to open, and then let you be able to open it again in three hours.