PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Run games on a new X server

endy
July 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I already covered this in an unrelated post in the gaming forum and the nuts and bolts of this are all probably in the linux-gamers.net (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=43) how to, but I like to keep things local here :)

Basically the ideas behind this is you run can run your games like Doom 3, Quake, Enemy Territory and pretty much anything in a new X server. The main benifit of this is that your dektop will get backgrounded which should give the game a performance boost and the ability to switch between your fullscreen game and your desktop, for example to check on an irc message.

I found this incredibly useful while clan gaming in the past as people would message me alot in irc while I played and otherwise I had to quit the game to see what it was. And now even though I don't play seriously any more I can't live without it. I will be using Enemy Territory as the example as it's my favorite game :)

"Enough already, show me the stuff" I hear you say, well ok then here you go:

1. First to allow you to run a new X display you need to edit the "/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config" file:

sudo cp /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.custom
sudo su
md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum
exit
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

Then make sure you change the first option to "Anybody" and hit enter twice.

2. Next we have to set your ~/.Xauthority file up. This may look tricky but it's very straight forward, all you need to do is add a line using a special key we find. So, in a terminal type:

xauth
list
And you should get an output something like this:

ananke/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
Yours WILL be different, thats ok. Now we need to add a new line and then exit to save it. So we type in "add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" followed by that long alpha numeric string. I've highlighted mine in bold above so you know what I'm talking about but remember to use yours. So for me I would type the following:

add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
exit
Remember YOU have to use YOUR OWN sting of numbers and letters copied form the output we got earlier, mine is just an example. Ok? I know it's a bit abstract but hopefully this is clear enough.

3. Create the script "x.et":

gedit x.et
And paste the following:

#!/bin/bash
xinit /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/et $* -- :1

4. Now we need to make it executable and move it to the right place:

chmod a+x ./x.et
sudo cp ./x.et /usr/local/bin

5. Run "x.et" in a terminal, ET should run on a new X server. To access your desktop you need to press:

CTRL + ALT + F7

6. To go back to ET by pressing:

CTRL + ALT + F8

That's it! Another great benefit to this is that with the "x.et" script you don't even need to be running your desktop to play a game. Meaning if you boot up to "run level 3" or you quit gnome and gdm to get to a command prompt you can run "x.et" and it will still work saving even more resources!

Extra notes:

If like me you use an ~/.Xmodmap file to amend your mouse buttons (I have a Logitech mx510) then you need to add that like to the script aswell so that X server is configured properly like this example of my script:

#!/bin/bash
xmodmap -display :1 -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 4 5" &

Obviously you need to put your own setting in the quotes but it's important you keep the ampersand (&) at the end to background the command or else your game will never run.

If you use the fabulous XQF then you can change the command to run "x.et" instead of just "et", that's a real winning combination! :)

Last but not least, it's a good idea to turn screensavers off so they don't load on your idle desktop while you're playing and suck up resources. It's probably a good idea to have the "Blank Screen Only" set which shouldn't affect performance.

Hope you like it :)

Nightblade
July 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I already covered this in an unrelated post in the gaming forum and the nuts and bolts of this are all probably in the linux-gamers.net (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=43) how to, but I like to keep things local here :)

Basically the ideas behind this is you run can run your games like Doom 3, Quake, Enemy Territory and pretty much anything in a new X server. The main benifit of this is that your dektop will get backgrounded which should give the game a performance boost and the ability to switch between your fullscreen game and your desktop, for example to check on an irc message.

I found this incredibly useful while clan gaming in the past as people would message me alot in irc while I played and otherwise I had to quit the game to see what it was. And now even though I don't play seriously any more I can't live without it. I will be using Enemy Territory as the example as it's my favorite game :)

1. First to allow you to run a new X display you need to edit the "/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config" file:

sudo md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum

2. Create the script "x.et":

gedit x.et
And paste the following:

#!/bin/bash

3. Now we need to make it executable and move it to the right place:

chmod a+x ./x.et

4. Run "x.et" in a terminal, ET should run on a new X server. To access your desktop you need to press:

CTRL + ALT + F7

5. To go back to ET by pressing:

CTRL + ALT + F8

That's it! Another great benefit to this is that with the "x.et" script you don't even need to be running your desktop to play a game. Meaning if you boot up to "run level 3" or you quit gnome and gdm to get to a command prompt you can run "x.et" and it will still work saving even more resources!

Extra notes:

If like me you use an ~/.Xmodmap file to amend your mouse buttons (I have a Logitech mx510) then you need to add that like to the script aswell so that X server is configured properly like this example of my script:

#!/bin/bash

Obviously you need to put your own setting in the quotes but it's important you keep the ampersand (&) at the end to background the command or else your game will never run.

If you use the fabulous XQF then you can change the command to run "x.et" instead of just "et", that's a real winning combination! :)

I got "client rejected by server" or something when i ran this, just a checkerboard screen with a X in the middle.

Also sudo md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum <- that line gave me permission denied on the part after >... =) Anyway, great guide, will be glad to use it when I make it work.

endy
July 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Ok I did miss a whole part out.

*bangs head on desk *

Sorry about that, I've amended the how to and I hope it should work now. The bit about the xauth is kinda hard to explain, I've done my best but if you have any questions I'll do my best to clear it up. But if it all goes wrong on the xauth bit just type "quit" instead of "exit" and no changes will be saved.

Hope this does the trick this time :)

Nightblade
July 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Ok I did miss a whole part out.

*bangs head on desk *

Sorry about that, I've amended the how to and I hope it should work now. The bit about the xauth is kinda hard to explain, I've done my best but if you have any questions I'll do my best to clear it up. But if it all goes wrong on the xauth bit just type "quit" instead of "exit" and no changes will be saved.

Hope this does the trick this time :)
Yay! Works like a charm now :D Except for one thing... I usually run armyops with the aoss option before to have sound... is there a way to do that with xinit? Tried adding aoss before the path to armyops bin but no go...

Thanks for a great guide, been looking for this a long time.

shawn
July 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
This worked perfectly for my copy of Doom 3, I can now edit config files in gedit and switch back to Doom 3 and execute them. Incredibly slick!

Thank you very much endy - you just made gaming in Ubuntu a far more pleasant experience for me! :grin: :grin: :grin:

endy
July 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Yay! Works like a charm now :D Except for one thing... I usually run armyops with the aoss option before to have sound... is there a way to do that with xinit? Tried adding aoss before the path to armyops bin but no go...

Thanks for a great guide, been looking for this a long time.

If it's an argument for the game then you can pass it as you would usually, for example using enemy territory again, if I wanted to tell it to run in a window I'd type:

x.et +set r_fullscreen 0

Just like I would normall type:

et +set r_fullscreen 0

Does this help?

ishtvan222
August 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
This is a great howto. I am having a problem tho. I can start it fine but then if i switch back to my desktop and then back to the game (CTRL ALT F6) all I see is the terminal output. I cannot acccess the game. It is still running because I can hear the music but I cannot get into the game.

Any ideas?

BTW im playing with Unreal Tournament 2004

edit: oops, never mind. I realized that the new X server is started on F8 and i thought it wud be on F6 because that is where i ran the command.

Jesus Franco
August 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM
This seems very interesting.

I just wanted to know how would this increase performance? I would think running another X server would use up more ram. If thats not the case then awesome. \\:D/

BanskuZ
August 9th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Nice guide. I use this script:

#!/bin/bash
xinit $* -- :1 > /dev/null

And then: anotherscreen ~/your/path/to/game

muszek
August 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi. I did everything you mentioned exactly the same (the only difference is that I named the file x.armyops). Got a unusual greyish background with an "x" mouse cursor and a (correct) armyops splash image. Normally it's a black background. Then (in the console) I saw it was terminated due to an error. Here's the full output:

muszek@muszek:~$ x.armyops

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/muszek:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X Window System Version 6.8.2 (Ubuntu 6.8.2-10 20050405154308 root@terranova.war thogs.hbd.com)
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.10 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux muszek 2.6.10-5-k7 #1 Fri Jun 24 18:51:20 UTC 20 05 i686
Build Date: 05 April 2005
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.10-5-k7 (buildd@vernadsky) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debi an 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)) #1 Fri Jun 24 18:51:20 UTC 2005 T
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Aug 11 18:51:13 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No sym bols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No sym bols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No sy mbols found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a:fbmmx.o": No symbols found
(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize UMM driver.
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

History:

Exiting due to error

waiting for X server to shut down

Please help.

ridoo
August 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Great work indeed endy :D

I can make everything you explain work but I have two problems.

1- I also use xmodmap but I'd like to exec a file

xmodmap -display :1 -e "~/.etwolf/kbd_et" &

it doesn't work

2- Do we have to add the xauth line after every launch ?

thanks for help

endy
August 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
This seems very interesting.

I just wanted to know how would this increase performance? I would think running another X server would use up more ram. If thats not the case then awesome. \\:D/
AFAIK it backgrounds your original desktop, however I don't know enough about all this to say for sure this doesn't happen anyway but you can now jump between game and desktop pretty fast. On the other hand though, you can now easily run the game without running GDM and/or Gnome _at all_ which should of course give you the most benifit :)

Nice guide. I use this script:

#!/bin/bash
xinit $* -- :1 > /dev/null

And then: anotherscreen ~/your/path/to/game
Hey that's really neat too, I never thought of it like that - thanks! :)

Hi. I did everything you mentioned exactly the same (the only difference is that I named the file x.armyops). Got a unusual greyish background with an "x" mouse cursor and a (correct) armyops splash image. Normally it's a black background. Then (in the console) I saw it was terminated due to an error. Here's the full output:
<- snip ->

Please help.
From the look of your output all I can guess is that something is wrong with the OpenGL driver, is it an ATI card? If so I've never had one (I will do as soon the drivers get better) and I'd be out of my depth here... sorry :S

Great work indeed endy :D

I can make everything you explain work but I have two problems.

1- I also use xmodmap but I'd like to exec a file

xmodmap -display :1 -e "~/.etwolf/kbd_et" &

it doesn't work

2- Do we have to add the xauth line after every launch ?

thanks for help
Ok I'll do my best to answer these in order :)

1. If you try this line in your script it should work:

xmodmap -display :1 ~/.etwolf/kbd_et &
2. No, once should be enough :)

ridoo
August 15th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Ok I'll do my best to answer these in order :)

1. If you try this line in your script it should work:

xmodmap -display :1 ~/.etwolf/kbd_et &

thanks, it works :D

2. No, once should be enough

this not :(

i have to add the line each time i reboot
here is the code

ridoo@simone:~$ sudo xauth
Password:
Using authority file /tmp/.gdmeFzU32
xauth> list
simone/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
xauth> add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
xauth> exit
Writing authority file /tmp/.gdmeFzU32
ridoo@simone:~$

awsome_petter
August 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Could someone put an answer to the problem of muszek?, i have exaktly the same, and i am sick of exiting the game because someone send me an instan message, or i have to do something else:(

endy
August 16th, 2005, 01:06 AM
i have to add the line each time i reboot
here is the code

ridoo@simone:~$ sudo xauth
Password:
Using authority file /tmp/.gdmeFzU32
xauth> list
simone/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
xauth> add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2f9eceb0dd4f3d259db5caa32cb6acb4
xauth> exit
Writing authority file /tmp/.gdmeFzU32
ridoo@simone:~$

You don't need to be root so you can omit the "sudo" and do it as your normal user, hopefully that should do the trick :)

Could someone put an answer to the problem of muszek?, i have exaktly the same, and i am sick of exiting the game because someone send me an instan message, or i have to do something else:(
Hi, you may be best trying to find a solution by starting a new topic, perhaps in the Desktop Support (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65) forum and see if anyone can help you there, add as much info as possible. Sorry I can't help myself as I say I've no experience with ATI cards yet :(

muszek
August 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM
From the look of your output all I can guess is that something is wrong with the OpenGL driver, is it an ATI card? If so I've never had one (I will do as soon the drivers get better) and I'd be out of my depth here... sorry :S
Yep, it's an ATI card, but seems to be configured well (I followed some guide on this forums, can't tell you which one, but glxgears shows ~1700 fps on a low end graphics card (radeon 9000 pro, I gave below $100 for it 3 years ago or so).

My solution is to close everything that pops stuff (IM, RSS reader) before starting a game. This doesn't annoy me a lot, but I kinda like like to read stuff (i.e. on ubuntufuroms :) ) while waiting for being respawned (fortunatelly I got good at not being killed). Could this post be more off-topic?

awsome_petter
August 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Yep, it's an ATI card, but seems to be configured well (I followed some guide on this forums, can't tell you which one, but glxgears shows ~1700 fps on a low end graphics card (radeon 9000 pro, I gave below $100 for it 3 years ago or so).

My solution is to close everything that pops stuff (IM, RSS reader) before starting a game. This doesn't annoy me a lot, but I kinda like like to read stuff (i.e. on ubuntufuroms :) ) while waiting for being respawned (fortunatelly I got good at not being killed). Could this post be more off-topic?
but somethimes it is necesary to have other program's that i must use while playing :D . When i'm trying to run ET on the other server it put's out that i have no hardware acceleration :( i had the same problem before i installed the Ati divers(and a lot of configuring and other things -_- ), it seems that he doesn't use the ati driver's. ??

endy
August 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is related but it's an important note I forgot, you should turn screensavers OFF (you can set it to blank screen only) so while you're playing your game it doesn't load a screensaver on the idle desktop ;)

ridoo
August 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM
You don't need to be root so you can omit the "sudo" and do it as your normal user, hopefully that should do the trick :)

I have already tried.
still doesn't work :(
It writes into a tmp file, is it what it has to do ?
After a reboot should I see the 3 lines ?

ridoo@simone:~$ xauth
Using authority file /tmp/.gdmsoIduu
xauth> list
simone/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 a34527b0c7a2093a36656f755a13c8de
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 a34527b0c7a2093a36656f755a13c8de
xauth> exit

endy
August 18th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Hmmm, that is strange, this is what happens for me:

endy@ananke:~$ xauth
Using authority file /home/endy/.Xauthority

I'd be tempted to delete that "/tmp/.gdmsoIduu" file, log out and log back in. See if that makes any difference. However I'm not sure what could possibly go wrong from doing this but I've deleted mine in the past and I was OK after loggin out and back in :)

EDIT: Also remove any ~/.Xauthority file as it appears that if that's corrupt GDM will make one in /tmp, hopefully this will work :)

ridoo
August 22nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
EDIT: Also remove any ~/.Xauthority file as it appears that if that's corrupt GDM will make one in /tmp, hopefully this will work :)

great,

thanks for your help endy, everything is working fine now.

I made a french translation on http://www.enemyterritory-fr.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=2072&.

Crube
August 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM
I've got everything working fine, but it seems like my second xserver doesn't know how to use the right drivers. It seems to be using some kind of a defaul xorg.config file. I wonder why? It uses mesa drivers, and all the default settings (the ones I had the first after installin ) Might it be that the other server need a different config file? Afterall that would be nice for me, becouse I like running my games and desktop with different resolution.

EDIT: Is there a command for killing server #2?

endy
August 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM
I just set the resolution options in the game and it sets the correct resolution on startup. It should be possible to run a new X server with a different xorg.conf file but I haven't found a way as yet with a few minutes testing so I can't help. If I do find out how I'll be sure to let you know :)

Crube
August 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
That would be nice, becouse the xserver starts with a pretty high resolution, and my game runs on smaller, and it sometimes causes random crashes during the resolution switch.

REBELinBLUE
August 27th, 2005, 06:52 PM
This is really cool

Is there a way the script can be modifed to detect when the program finishes and so shuts down that x desktop?

Dr.Who
August 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM
You should check out XGame:
http://xgame.tlhiv.com/
which makes this much more uncomplicated. You create an extra xorg.conf for your games and this script which also comes in a GTK2 Gui version let you launch a new X session with that config. It let you define a DB of your games and acts as a launchpad,

Cheers,

Malte

nERDboY
August 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM

muszek@muszek:~$ x.armyops

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/muszek:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X Window System Version 6.8.2 (Ubuntu 6.8.2-10 20050405154308 root@terranova.war thogs.hbd.com)
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.10 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux muszek 2.6.10-5-k7 #1 Fri Jun 24 18:51:20 UTC 20 05 i686
Build Date: 05 April 2005
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.10-5-k7 (buildd@vernadsky) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debi an 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)) #1 Fri Jun 24 18:51:20 UTC 2005 T
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Aug 11 18:51:13 2005
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No sym bols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No sym bols found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No sy mbols found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a:fbmmx.o": No symbols found
(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize UMM driver.
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

History:

Exiting due to error

waiting for X server to shut down

Please help.
Does this thing work with counterstrike - source, 1.6 or condition zreo or all of them guess what im a fan of

ridoo
December 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Hmmm, that is strange, this is what happens for me:

Code:

endy@ananke:~$ xauth Using authority file /home/endy/.Xauthority

I'd be tempted to delete that "/tmp/.gdmsoIduu" file, log out and log back in. See if that makes any difference. However I'm not sure what could possibly go wrong from doing this but I've deleted mine in the past and I was OK after loggin out and back in

EDIT: Also remove any ~/.Xauthority file as it appears that if that's corrupt GDM will make one in /tmp, hopefully this will work

Hi

you already helped me about this .Xauthority problem.
When you told me to remove the ~/.Xauthority file and the /tmp/.gdmsoIduu I was under hoary.

Now I'm under breezy after a reinstall (not an upgrade).

I still have the same problem I had the first time (xauth write in the tmp/file )
I tried to delete both tmp and Xauthority, but now the Xauthority is not recreate and xauth still use the tmp file.

I really want to clear this problem.
Is there a way to recreate the Xauthority file or to to force xauth to use it.

Thanks

ridoo
December 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
up :D

I really want to solve this problem.
Nobody :(

pepolez
May 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
This guide worked fine for me except that i had to dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xorg rather then xfree86.

Enemy Territory runs fine except for one little bug - when i shut down the game and open it again and then join a game, the mouse just spins rapidly in a circle when I try to move it.

Tested on Ubuntu Dapper with xgl-gnome on primary desktop, artsd running, and et executable modified to start with artsdsp -m

pepolez
May 31st, 2006, 01:48 AM
Since it was requested, here is my xorg config:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Mon May 15 13:23:42 PDT 2006

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

## Devices
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

## Fonts
Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

## Modules
Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

## Maxtor 104 key US keyboard
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

## A4tech 'big thumb' optical mouse w/scrollwheel
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

## Wacom sapphire tablet
Section "InputDevice"

# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

## Wacom sapphire tablet - eraser
Section "InputDevice"

# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

## Wacom sapphire tablet - cursor
Section "InputDevice"

# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Identifier "cursor"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

## Auriga colorpro 17CF monitor
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "17 COLOR"
HorizSync 30.0 - 72.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

## NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card
Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT]"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

## Auriga Colorpro 17CF monitor
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT]"
Monitor "17 COLOR"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

chadk
July 21st, 2006, 02:49 AM
Can anyone update this for Dapper? Seems the line:
returns with an error about /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config not existing.

anaoum
July 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM
Can anyone update this for Dapper? Seems the line:
returns with an error about /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config not existing.

happens for me too.

Poul
July 23rd, 2006, 02:39 AM
As above + i get the following error trying to run the game.
pawel@pawel-p1500:~$ x.ao

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

punk84
September 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Just replace "xfree86" with "x11", after that it works. But for me inorder to run the script it has to be executed as root. I wish this was not the case.

punk84

Inferno.
October 21st, 2006, 03:50 AM
Someone knows how can I use teamspeak with this? When I press the key to talk, nothing happend. But if i put the Ts on voice activation, everything works fine (But I don't want to use that). I tried to launch it in the same server than the game, but it's the same. There are no changes.

Sorry for the revive, I didn't want to make a new thread when I'm sure that someone here can help me to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Bruegger
December 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys,
I had beryl-xgl installed with Dapper on my system.
I tried running stellarium and it wouldnt run.Learnt from some posts that i need to have another xserver to run it.But i dunno while the following endy's guide, i did something foolish and my xserver wont start. Using startx gets me into gnome...but now i am not able to use beryl in it.
Is there a way i can undo the changes i made and get back to my old gnome with beryl-xgl???
Dont want to do a re-install of Dapper just for this.
Some one please help

P.S.I m a newbie with Linux and Dapper.

Bruegger
December 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Some one please HELP!!!!
:confused:

rossjman1
February 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
jeff@ubuntu:~$ sudo x.et

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 1
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X1-lock
and start again.

What do I do to fix this. I didn't understand the first step about changing the first option to Anybody. I don't know where or how to change this.

Jarn
March 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
When I do this, it works at first. But if I switch back to the other server (Ctrl+alt+F7) and then back to the one that a game is on, the game won't do anything. All I see is a black screen. I have the special cursor that the game has and can move it, but the screen is just black.

abrichr
July 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
It would be great to see this howto updated for Feisty. I figured it out until:

Package `xserver-common' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-common is not installed

so i used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, which led me through a bunch of steps, but didn't ask me to specify anything about an option for "Anybody"

redsox59
August 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I'm in the same boat for the fiesty update

tonyisntcreative
September 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM
And I'll make three.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out, and it was quite simple, too. Instead of xserver-common just replace it with x11-common. Voila!

dakoth
October 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Managed to get this working great, with one exception; I'm not sure how to change the display on the "second X" to a certain resolution/refreshrate prior to launching the game. Anyone mind giving me a hand?

edit: Never mind, I managed to solve it by changing the resolution/refreshrate the game starts in.

edit2: It did spawn a second problem though. When I swap back to the game I'm stuck in what appears to be the boot-terminal (can see all these lines going: * Checking something... [OK]). I can tell the game is still running as it plays sounds and all in the background, but I can't seem to get it back "on top".

edit3: Heh, never mind. Stupid of me to assume that my secondary X window would land on the same number. It popped up on ctrl-alt-f9 instead.

Ryback
December 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
And I'll make three.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out, and it was quite simple, too. Instead of xserver-common just replace it with x11-common. Voila!

Thanks, that helped me out. I figured out the x11 filepath for the Xwrapper.config.md5sum work, but didn't apply the same logic to the x11-common! I made an updated version of this How To at the enemyterritory forums linked here (http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?p=257699). Kudos to Endy :)

giannimesa
January 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
great!!! It works!!! great how to...

But I have a problem... :( sound doesn't work... I try to copy and paste my current ET luncher... :

./et-sdl-sound

(with this luncher sound work in the first X server)

how can I do??

Thanks...

giannimesa
January 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I resolve it,

I only copy the two scripts ( one to lunch ET in other X server, and one to lunch ET with sound) in mai dyrectory of ET and correct the rispective path in the lunchers...

great... ;)

Kekk0
June 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM

sudo su
exit

2. Next we have to set your ~/.Xauthority file up. This may look tricky but it's very straight forward, all you need to do is add a line using a special key we find. So, in a terminal type:

xauth
list
And you should get an output something like this:

ananke/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
localhost.localdomain/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
Yours WILL be different, thats ok. Now we need to add a new line and then exit to save it. So we type in "add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" followed by that long alpha numeric string. I've highlighted mine in bold above so you know what I'm talking about but remember to use yours. So for me I would type the following:

add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9fde426e5g03b20f4b7e51cb329d3033
exit
Remember YOU have to use YOUR OWN sting of numbers and letters copied form the output we got earlier, mine is just an example. Ok? I know it's a bit abstract but hopefully this is clear enough.

3. Create the script "x.et":

gedit x.et
And paste the following:

#!/bin/bash

4. Now we need to make it executable and move it to the right place:

chmod a+x ./x.et

5. Run "x.et" in a terminal, ET should run on a new X server. To access your desktop you need to press:

CTRL + ALT + F7

6. To go back to ET by pressing:

CTRL + ALT + F8

Extra notes:

#!/bin/bash

Last but not least, it's a good idea to turn screensavers off so they don't load on your idle desktop while you're playing and suck up resources. It's probably a good idea to have the "Blank Screen Only" set which shouldn't affect performance.

Can't get it to work..
It says like "xserver is not installed" or something like that :S

biriachan
June 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem at first, Currently running Hardy Heron 64bit.

There are a few changes I made to step 1 based on various post made in this thread by others.

Step 1:
- Orginal

sudo su
exit
- Modified

sudo su
md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/x11/Xwrapper.config.md5sum
exit
sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

As a test I used the game BTanks

x.et ->

#!/bin/bash
xinit /usr/games/btanks $* -- :1

I also recommend looking at this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=552805

Currently I an running dual monitors. My xorg.conf file was generated using nvidia-settings (TwinView) with a few modifications made by hand.

Right now my 2nd Xserver is using my current xorg.conf (Dual Monitors). My main reason for using a 2nd Xserver is to use only my main monitor as have I had big problems with game centering themselves between both monitors.

Is there a way I can load a different xorg.conf configuration or make some modification to my current xorg.conf to use only one monitor in my 2nd Xserver?

Never mind - Found I could edit my xorg.conf.
Change the meta modes
"metamodes" "CRT-0: 1600x1200_85 +1280+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024_60 +0+0;
-Changed all others
CRT-0: 1024x768_85, CRT1: NULL;

NULL disables my 2nd monitor

Hetor
June 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
HetorsLAB hetor # md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum
bash: /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum: No such file or directory

I have /var/lib/x11/Xwrapper.config.md5sum though, will it work?

Gen2ly
July 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM
HetorsLAB hetor # md5sum /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config > /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum
bash: /var/lib/xfree86/Xwrapper.config.md5sum: No such file or directory

I have /var/lib/x11/Xwrapper.config.md5sum though, will it work?

For xorg 1.6 a few things have changed. You can change displays and enable keyboard/mouse with this script:

#!/bin/bash

DISPLAY=:1.0

xinit $* -- :1

This will also open a terminal window where you can launch your game from.

Cebonet
October 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Yes! I got it working with doom3, but when I switch from the game to the desktop and back, the whole thing turns to a command prompt.

How do I create a new x server with counter-strike source(steam) on wine?:confused:

mnml
January 2nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
I tried this but I get an error when I try to run xterm or any app for example with this cmd:
xinit xterm $* -- :1
I get:

Backtrace:
0: X(xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x4f00c6]
1: X(xf86SigHandler+0x41) [0x4852c1]
2: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7feb3caf5530]
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(Phw770_ProgramMemoryTimingParameters+ 0x81) [0x7feb3b152f21]
4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so [0x7feb3b1572a8]
5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PHM_DispatchTable+0xf0) [0x7feb3b124df0]
6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PHM_SetPowerStateDeferrable+0x3b) [0x7feb3b1234bb]
7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so [0x7feb3b166a88]
8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PSM_AdjustPowerState+0x248) [0x7feb3b165fb8]
9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PEM_Task_AdjustPowerState+0x1f) [0x7feb3b14762f]
10: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PEM_ExcuteEventChain+0x64) [0x7feb3b145ee4]
11: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PEM_HandleEvent_Unlocked+0x23) [0x7feb3b144583]
12: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PEM_HandleEvent+0x25) [0x7feb3b144635]
13: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PEM_Initialize+0x187) [0x7feb3b1448c7]
14: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so [0x7feb3b121c62]
15: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(PP_Initialize+0x28) [0x7feb3b121848]
16: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(swlPPLibInitializePowerPlay+0x90) [0x7feb3b0e93d0]
17: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxPPLibInit+0x3f) [0x7feb3b0ac72f]
18: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so [0x7feb3b0ef345]
19: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so [0x7feb3b0ed6ef]
20: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxDisplayMapAddNode+0xbb) [0x7feb3b0ed85b]
21: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxDisplayAdaptorCreate+0x9a) [0x7feb3b0ee35a]
22: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxDisplayPreInit+0x35d) [0x7feb3b0ec74d]
23: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxPreInit+0xe52) [0x7feb3b0ad5b2]
24: X(InitOutput+0x507) [0x46f017]
25: X(main+0x1fe) [0x433ece]
26: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7feb3cae0abd]
27: X [0x433509]
Saw signal 8. Server aborting.
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
ddxSigGiveUp: re-raising 8
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

edit: I just found a bug report about it, still looking for a solution.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xinit/+bug/489800

Mirror Shades
June 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu as a whole (5 days of experience lol, but I'm trying to get it) and I've configured my x.et according to this guide, but when I try to run it in terminal it just starts and shuts down immediately, outputting this last line:

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no program named "/media/MEDIA/Games/WoW 3.3.3a/WoW.exe" in PATH

I'll explain things a bit further: I'm trying to run World of Warcraft through x.et file, which I filled like that:

#!/bin/bash
xinit /media/MEDIA/Games/"WoW 3.3.3a"/WoW.exe $* -- :1

I suppose this is wrong, because it should run through wine and I haven't pointed that out to the X server (because I don't know how), at least I think so. Could you guys lend me a hand in making this to run? Thanks in advance :)

BTW I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 if that is of any help.

Cristiano MM
October 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I managed to get wow to work by using this tutorial thanks alot:D

huge fps jump.

Baddreamz
July 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
xinit /usr/bin/wine game.exe -- :1

i used this following comand to start a new server.

but one thing i canư understand is why do i have less fps on the new x server
than running the game normally?oO
regards

mbiela
June 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi,

i can`t manage with start game on new X server using wolfsp-sdl-sound script.

giannimesa wrote:

I resolve it,

I only copy the two scripts ( one to lunch ET in other X server, and one to lunch ET with sound) in mai dyrectory of ET and correct the rispective path in the lunchers...

but he did not wrote what exactly he did (which path). For now, I can only start game on new X server, but sound stays on first :(
Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Sorry for poor english.

mbiela

Alchemek
August 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I've followed all the directions and it appears to work, but what's ridiculous is that once I switch over to my desktop, I can't switch back without my game being gone. Makes no sense.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Mon Aug 6 15:40:49 2012
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:0:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:2:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:7:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:18:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:1) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:3) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:4) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:19:5) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:0) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:1) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:2) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:3) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:20:4) found
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
Home directory /home/alchemek not ours.
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
(EE) fglrx(0): PPLIB: swlPPLibNotifyEventToPPLib() failed!
(EE) fglrx(0): ulEventType = 00000023, ulEventData = 00000001