PDA

View Full Version : Neo1973 vs Apple iPhone

ashvala
August 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Raise your opinion over...

Neo1973 vs Apple iPhone

%hMa@?b<C
August 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM
I would go with teh Neo1973, but I dont have the cash for a phone, so I stick with my cheapie prepaid one. Price is a huge dictating factor and the Openmoko is cheaper, so I would go with it.

ashvala
August 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
iPhone has multi touch which is naturraly costly
Open Moko is a normal touch screen:guitar:

fde
August 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah but iPhone forces you to subscribe (for 2 years) to AT&T (in US, others elsewhere), its battery is really really crappy and you cannot change it, plus you give a little more money to a closed-source software master.

I pick the Neo1973.

Nekiruhs
August 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah but iPhone forces you to subscribe (for 2 years) to AT&T (in US, others elsewhere), its battery is really really crappy and you cannot change it, plus you give a little more money to a closed-source software master.

I pick the Neo1973.
I voted iPhone. The battery is pretty good actually, but the fact its soldered in place sucks. Apple is a company that I have great respect for. Infact, Apple actually helps the Open Source community a great deal. They are de-forking KHTML (Web rendering software from KDE) and Apples WebKit (based of KHTML, much improved). Apple wants to see MS gone as much as we do. The enemy of our enemy is our ally.

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 03:16 PM
I voted iPhone. The battery is pretty good actually, but the fact its soldered in place sucks. Apple is a company that I have great respect for. Infact, Apple actually helps the Open Source community a great deal. They are de-forking KHTML (Web rendering software from KDE) and Apples WebKit (based of KHTML, much improved). Apple wants to see MS gone as much as we do. The enemy of our enemy is our ally.

But the neo is NOT microsoft, helping apple just because they are also against microsoft is just going to get us all tied to apple in the same way IMHO. I chose neo...if i had one :)

Nekiruhs
August 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM
But the neo is NOT microsoft, helping apple just because they are also against microsoft is just going to get us all tied to apple in the same way IMHO. I chose neo...if i had one :)
All I was saying is that I like the iPhone, and that I don't mind supporting Apple. The OpenMoko is open-source I know, I didn't say that it was MS.

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
my point wasnt that you were saying it WAS :)

Just that if we have a choice between something else and apple i would pick the something else, even if apple is against MS its still not the exactly an ethical company however good they look.

Maybe there will be a multitouch neo come out, that would be cool :D

Depressed Man
August 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM

I pick the Neo1973.

I think you can buy the iPhone from the Apple website and you can still use it at Wifi points without the subscription to AT&T. But other then that it's pretty useless (no service plan to AT&T).

ashvala
August 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
It depednds...

Apple forces you to subscribe to a 2year contract with AT&T
because in the lights of Dvd Jon who bypassed the at&t contract it is not neccasary to sign that contract:guitar:

:::
August 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Definitely the neo!

The iphone has a very nice user interface. But since it doesn't allow you to put your own software on it it's just a useless brick in my opinion. A darn sexy brick - but still a brick.

(yes I know - I can make phonecalls with it and surf the web ... but any dumbphone can do that nowadays.)

bread eyes
August 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
I voted 3 times!

Sunflower1970
August 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
iPhone is sexy. I loved playing around with one in the Apple Store I went to recently. But, the price is just way too much, and I don't like the idea of being locked in to AT&T for two years.

I voted the Neo1973. Can't wait for these to be out on the market

JacobRogers
August 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
Iphone. I've already been a satisfied customer with at&t for 5 years now so I don't mind the contract thing. Actually I started out with AT&T but then it was bought out by Cingular, but then they changed it back to AT&T.

rkrug
August 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
What's a Neo1973?

DalekClock
August 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
A Neo 1973 is a touch-screen smartphone based on Linux.

I can't really say much about this, considering I haven't given either a try and don't really care about licensing unless I might be breaking the law.

:::
August 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
What's a Neo1973?

http://openmoko.com/
http://openmoko.org/

Depressed Man
August 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
iPhone is sexy. I loved playing around with one in the Apple Store I went to recently. But, the price is just way too much, and I don't like the idea of being locked in to AT&T for two years.

I voted the Neo1973. Can't wait for these to be out on the market

I got to play with it too (a friend of a friend had it at a pool party. I think he waited in line to buy it). It looks and feels cool. But after going home and reading more about it I was dissapointed with it.

fde
August 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
I voted iPhone. The battery is pretty good actually, but the fact its soldered in place sucks.
Therefore, why is there a class action (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/27/iphone_class_action_battery_lawsuit_mass_ac_adapte r_failures.html) against Apple?

sublime
August 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
A Neo 1973 is a touch-screen smartphone based on Linux.

I can't really say much about this, considering I haven't given either a try and don't really care about licensing unless I might be breaking the law.

It's not based on linux. It is actually running GNU/Linux.

Wiebelhaus
August 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
It depednds...

because in the lights of Dvd Jon who bypassed the at&t contract it is not neccasary to sign that contract:guitar:

Link please sir!

Dimitriid
August 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I used to love smart phones, but after owning one for some time I realized one fundamental truth for me: The main use its still just a communications device.

You see it can be a little misleading to think "Oh Id be great to be able to watch movies, surf the web, play snes games and what not on my cellphone while on the go!". The thing is that maybe, is just me, but when I am out for whatever reason its because im actually doing something: driving, waiting for somebody, on work, on a meeting, chatting with somebody over coffee, etc. As much as I might get a kick out of us having a full lenght feature film on my phone Id probably never get to see it, only when I actually have time to sit down. And in those cases im either better off with a notebook pc or im at home anyway.

http://img.gsmarena.com/w/pics/nokia/nokia-6131-00.jpg

Thats why I switched from my old "smart phone" to a very simple modem that actually includes the 2 features I found myself actually using very frequently: mp3 player and camera. I got that small nokia 6131 up there now that I bumped to 1gb of memory, I carry something like 800mb of music and leave the rest for photos or audio recording, and sold my old mp3 player. I sometimes use the calendar and alarm but if I remember to set up the date I remember the date anyway so I don't use it much.

So its just texting, mp3, calling and pictures in that order of importance, this one is just fine for that. No N70s or others for me.

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Neither! I refuse to support any Apple product, therefore the iPhone will always be a no no for me. Not to mention it will be with Rogers up here I think and I'm not with them. One more thing is that in Canada we don't really have flat data plans like other places, thus theres no way I'm using any phone for it's web functions. Even if the last point was rectified, I've no use for a smart phone like the Neo. I'm sticking to my 4-5 year old Motorolla, it makes calls and that's it.

Andrewie
August 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I used to love smart phones, but after owning one for some time I realized one fundamental truth for me: The main use its still just a communications device.

You see it can be a little misleading to think "Oh Id be great to be able to watch movies, surf the web, play snes games and what not on my cellphone while on the go!". The thing is that maybe, is just me, but when I am out for whatever reason its because im actually doing something: driving, waiting for somebody, on work, on a meeting, chatting with somebody over coffee, etc. As much as I might get a kick out of us having a full lenght feature film on my phone Id probably never get to see it, only when I actually have time to sit down. And in those cases im either better off with a notebook pc or im at home anyway.

http://img.gsmarena.com/w/pics/nokia/nokia-6131-00.jpg

Thats why I switched from my old "smart phone" to a very simple modem that actually includes the 2 features I found myself actually using very frequently: mp3 player and camera. I got that small nokia 6131 up there now that I bumped to 1gb of memory, I carry something like 800mb of music and leave the rest for photos or audio recording, and sold my old mp3 player. I sometimes use the calendar and alarm but if I remember to set up the date I remember the date anyway so I don't use it much.

So its just texting, mp3, calling and pictures in that order of importance, this one is just fine for that. No N70s or others for me.

it would be nice if you got rid of the spam

chadlewis
August 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Selling my neo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120150320320), in case anyone is interested.