PDA

View Full Version : Open Source in Small Businesses

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
HI all,

A project I have been working on is almost ready for launch, I think I have spoken about it before a few times, but now I REALLY need help from you guys!

The idea is to make a website for small businesses to help them migrate to open source systems, there is lots of help for desktop users here, lots of paid help for big companies with the likes of red hat, but small businesses often find it hard to break out of the windows trap.

it will aim to:

Provide lists of alternatives to business software
Help businesses network on getting cheaper IT services and hardware
Information on server setups, like mail servers and groupware
Opensource web development like CMS and CRM
Discussion on how to optimise your business with free software
Information on starting a business (esp internet based) using free software to greatly lower startup costs

I need to hear from anyone who would be interested in helping run the site, writing howto guides, reviewing software etc.

Also from anyone who thinks they would like to join so any last minute ideas can be included as well.

Hope I can find some people who are interested in what I think its a very worthwhile cause... :)

maniacmusician
August 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
I may be able to write some stuff for you. Unfortunately, I do work on a very tight schedule. I have a couple of my own projects that I'm working on, and school is starting again in a month or so. And I'm also working on my own book. But if you're just looking for software reviews and little things like that, I may be able to spare a bit of my free time (don't know how much, but, well...that's life).

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
I may be able to write some stuff for you. Unfortunately, I do work on a very tight schedule. I have a couple of my own projects that I'm working on, and school is starting again in a month or so. And I'm also working on my own book. But if you're just looking for software reviews and little things like that, I may be able to spare a bit of my free time (don't know how much, but, well...that's life).

That would be great! maybe you could find the time to review something like the latest open office suite or another business use piece of software then it would really help. I don't want to open the site till I have a good quantity of quality content.

loudmouthman
August 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Count me in ,

I have been installing and managing OSS delivery for small and medium sized businesses for several years now. Im willing to provide some insight and advice on this as well as the occasional talking head answers.

Nik

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
cool, well i need people to start writing pages!

If you start with something easy, a page or two about your company (pref with pics and logo etc make it look nice :) ) and how your company has 'gone open source' by that I mean uses open source for business activities it does not have to make its software opensource as well (assuming it makes software its self).

I want to make a directory of open source using businesses, and then each one can have a case study page about how they got into open source and why they use it, that should make some nice reading.

Then need to start work on a massive list of alternatives to business products. Maybe people could PM me contact details like MSN, Jabber or Skype so we can start discussing the site and then I can arrange access for people so content can start being put online :)

Dragonbite
August 1st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds like an interesting project. I've kinda kicked this idea around in my head but never actually did anything. I'd like to help.

Anther subject that may interest them is "how to migrate from a Windows environment", even a 12 (or however many) step guide for the person who is not totally computer/Linux savvy but is sold on the idea of moving to Linux. (just an idea).

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like an interesting project. I've kinda kicked this idea around in my head but never actually did anything. I'd like to help.

Anther subject that may interest them is "how to migrate from a Windows environment", even a 12 (or however many) step guide for the person who is not totally computer/Linux savvy but is sold on the idea of moving to Linux. (just an idea).

great glad to have another who will help! :)

Yes this is exactly the kinda thing I want to do, I want to make "pathway guides" or something along those lines which starts of basic like migrating from windows to linux but maybe 12 months down the line has enough data to be something cool like the user says, I use windows XP, have a good computer (they can enter specs) and use photoshop, office and quicken. Then eventually I want the site to take that data and automatically generate the migration pathway guide showing them step by step the path to migrating to the best suited open source alternatives. I know thats a good year away from being ready but for the mean time maybe in the next month or so we can get the site and manually start making these kind of guides.

One of the big problems is context of use, if someone goes to say the Citadel help bbs for help with their setup they may actually be having problems with using kontact or even KDE itself etc. We need somewhere you can help help on the whole software chain in the same way this forum does for the home users. But again hopefully an improvement is to get information on how to make a business grade (ie REALLY stable) setup on your linux box.

Takmadeus
August 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
Nice! I might say that your approach is quite interesting.... mybe I cannot help 24/7 but if any ideas come across my mind I will pass by and drop them here ;)

One thing for sure is that once your website is up and running I will be a regular visitor ;)

Espreon
August 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM
great glad to have another who will help! :)

Yes this is exactly the kinda thing I want to do, I want to make "pathway guides" or something along those lines which starts of basic like migrating from windows to linux but maybe 12 months down the line has enough data to be something cool like the user says, I use windows XP, have a good computer (they can enter specs) and use photoshop, office and quicken. Then eventually I want the site to take that data and automatically generate the migration pathway guide showing them step by step the path to migrating to the best suited open source alternatives. I know thats a good year away from being ready but for the mean time maybe in the next month or so we can get the site and manually start making these kind of guides.

One of the big problems is context of use, if someone goes to say the Citadel help bbs for help with their setup they may actually be having problems with using kontact or even KDE itself etc. We need somewhere you can help help on the whole software chain in the same way this forum does for the home users. But again hopefully an improvement is to get information on how to make a business grade (ie REALLY stable) setup on your linux box.

You don't hafta use Kontact, I think Thunderbird is better.

curuxz
August 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM
You don't hafta use Kontact, I think Thunderbird is better.

For email I could not agree with you more. BUT I am a business user (not saying your not btw, just saying that because I AM I need....) and email is not enough. I hate thunderbird's calender system, it may get better but at the moment its not very good. Kontact gives us calenders, email, address books, notes, todo lists, news feeds, groupware etc all integrated and thats one of the main point of the website.

Business Integration:

I want a site that not only shows you how to install ubuntu, but also, if you need it, to install Apache for your website, a groupware system, a pim client and most importantly how to get all these great opensource applications talking to each other to make your business more efficient while cutting costs at the same time.

To archive this I need lots of howto's and they need to be written in such a way that they can be easily combined and if possible of print quality so first time users can print nice howto guides (since many wont have the next while they are installing, even WITH the live installer)

Hence the more people to help the better :D

The plan is to let in those going to help some point this weekend or early next week, then open a few weeks later after the helpers have had time to help me get some content in there. Once live I hope to see lots of people there ! :)

Alterax
August 3rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
I am interested in this project as well. I am currently developing a series of articles about planning and implementing a Windows-to-Linux migration. Perhaps these could be incorporated into your project?

--Alterax

AlexenderReez
August 3rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
hm...there is discussion about open source in small businesses in my loco team mailing list...i hope i can get involve and gain experience :)

pearlbear
August 3rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
OK, shameless plug: you should check out NOSI - Nonprofit Open Source Initiative. There is a (dated) primer for open source in nonprofits - nonprofits share a lot of characteristics with small businesses. We're about to release (in Sept) an updated primer- covers how to choose, what options there are, case studies, etc.

http://nosi.net

Also, I came across a migration guide (http://www.kbst.bund.de/cln_046/nn_945224/SharedDocs/Anlagen-kbst/Migrationsleitfaden/migration-guide-2nd-edition__pdf,templateId=raw,property=publicationFi le.pdf/migration-guide-2nd-edition_pdf.pdf)a while ago that's quite good. It's from the german govt.

(it's from this page (http://www.kbst.bund.de/cln_046/nn_836802/Content/Service/English/english__dokuments.html__nnn=true))

There's a lot of good resources out there - it's a matter of finding and compiling them, in a lot of cases.

curuxz
August 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
thanks for the links!

People interested in getting involved please PM me some kind of contact detail, and I'll discuss further the plans of getting the project going!

Lots of articles to be written and information to be sorted :)!

dogeatery
August 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
My father runs a small barbeque sauce business and relies heavily on his computer. If anyone besides him touches it he wigs out and lectures us as though we were 4 years old on the dangers of viruses and untrustworthy web-sites (I should note that I am 24 and working for him). I try to explain that switching to linux would be much more secure for his business but he always trots out some lame duck reply about Windows fitting his needs, etc. etc.

I think OSS is ideal for small businesses who desire maximum security and efficiency at minimum cost and yet he will not even consider it, though I have loaded his computer with several open source applications (firefox, openoffice.org, GIMP). A site like the one proposed here could go a long way toward helping small businesses not only in America but around the world. It would need to be very clear and understandable and cut right to the biggest selling points: low/no cost, freedom of use and license restrictions, security (no viruses, spyware, less hackable, etc.). Next, a list of business needs and applications to fulfill those needs. The site must not be preachy about open source philosophy. Rather, it needs to play up to the sensibilities of a businessman/woman with a small budget and convince them that it's worth their time and effort to make a change.

I am not a programmer or designer, but I do photography and also can write. If I can be of service please let me know via PM.

-dogeatery

curuxz
August 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Could not agree more with you, cost, stability, performance and security are key reasons small businesses can be more competitive if they switch.

I agree it should not/hopefully will not, be preachy, but rather simple and clear letting people say what they need and seeing how they can get it!

curuxz
August 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'd just like to add a little bit of text from my blog describing some of the main aims of this project, still looking for more people to get involved and a big thanks to those who have already expressed an interest I look forward with working with you to get this project up and running in the coming weeks :)

"It will:

* Provide ‘how to’ guides, which will be interlinked and recommend related items, on:
o How to, Install software
o How to, Convert files (eg: Ogg to Mp3 or DOC to ODT)
o How to, Connect things (eg: Kontact to Kolab)
o How to, Migrate (eg: from Outlook to Kontact)
* Have articles and editorials on converted businesses, efforts to improve opensource, case studies and reviews
* Hold a discussion forum where people can get help and advice
* Maintain a list of like for like software, eg: MS Word = Openoffice Writter, Kword etc…
* Produce high quality information packs that can be downloaded and printed or produced into book form
* Campaign and seek support for the use of open source in business and education
"