PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know Ubuntu: a level-headed introduction for new users

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Getting to Know Ubuntu: A Short Level-Headed Introduction for New Users (http://www.friedcpu.net/?p=47)

by now, you have probably heard about Ubuntu in passing at the very least. In this article I’m going to try to detail a little bit more about Ubuntu in a clear minded fashion that other articles might not give you. Ubuntu is a popular name right now, and because of that there is a lot of hype and a lot of misunderstanding about it, particularly for new users. I’m hoping that this post will help to clear up some of the misunderstandings or communication errors between the people hyping this operating system and the people adopting it.

As always, comments are welcome on the blog or on the forum. :) I'd love to know what you think.

I'd also appreciate a quick Digg if you don't mind: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Getting_to_know_Ubuntu_A_short_level_headed_introd uction_for_new_users

lisati
August 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
I like the warning about not comparing Ubuntu with Windows, but I'm not so sure about the "Designed for Windows" sticker stuff. My laptop has such a sticker, but seems happy enough running Ubuntu. So far, apart from an occasional error message about a phantom CD (more of an annoyance than a problem) I haven't had a problem for which there wasn't a fix or a work-around.

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
I like the warning about not comparing Ubuntu with Windows, but I'm not so sure about the "Designed for Windows" sticker stuff. My laptop has such a sticker, but seems happy enough running Ubuntu. So far, apart from an occasional error message about a phantom CD (more of an annoyance than a problem) I haven't had a problem for which there wasn't a fix or a work-around.

Well, that designed for Windows sticker still means something. It means that that PC was designed for Windows. The fact that you can install Ubuntu on it is just a cool coincidence.

Also, for most new users "Fixes" and "work-arounds" are often not practical, fun, or inviting, so I chose to just leave that out.

ddrichardson
August 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM
The section on proprietery formats is slightly misleading in that it implies a level of illegality in using proprietery formats. This is not quite true - in fact installation of the codecs is very easy and they are simply not available in the default install.

Also the section about video chat - don't forget Ekiga which does support video chat on many protocols.

Lastly the title is slightly misleading in that the information is really about whether or not to switch or try Ubuntu rather than a guide for new users.

Great article though.

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM
The section on proprietery formats is slightly misleading in that it implies a level of illegality in using proprietery formats. This is not quite true - in fact installation of the codecs is very easy and they are simply not available in the default install.

Also the section about video chat - don't forget Ekiga which does support video chat on many protocols.

Lastly the title is slightly misleading in that the information is really about whether or not to switch or try Ubuntu rather than a guide for new users.

Great article though.

You're absolutely right about the title. however, there is a level of illegality in distributing those codecs in the default install to Americans (perhaps I should be more precise in the future). Oh, and I didn't even know about ekiga, silly me. :)

ddrichardson
August 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
You're quite right about America, but perhaps pointing out the same is true (at least as far as the RIAA have tried) of Windows based systems.

KiwiNZ
August 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Excellent work , Congrats

I like the Forum plug :)

Spr0k3t
August 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Good read Adam. Funny thing though, I frequent the FriedCPU so much that I saw it there first.

Keep up the great work!

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Glad you guys liked it, perhaps it's digg worthy?

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Added to digg. (see original post)

"Can You Digg it!?"

Malh
August 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Great article, /Dugg.

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to know you liked it. :) Maybe you should show it to your friends who are considering switching :)

notwen
August 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
+1 digg =] Thanks for taking the time in writing it.

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
Not a problem. Thanks for the digg, link other people to it too, all diggs are helpful :)

KiwiNZ
August 1st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to know you liked it. :) Maybe you should show it to your friends who are considering switching :)

Good point ,