PDA

View Full Version : Looking to dabble in a high-level language

stil
July 31st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Ello people. I've been itching to have a go at some simple programming fun. I don't have oodles of time to dedicate to learning esoteric commands and whatnot. Is there something out there, that is useful in an ubuntu enviroment, that is the equivilant of... AMOS? (sorry for the old reference, but that's all I have to go on)

AMOS was something I go into in my early teens. Then the Amiga pretty much died from bad managment and the rest is history...:popcorn:

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

trwww
July 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Hi there,

Programming is fun and a great mental exercise, but it requires you to speak and write in another language.

If you dont have the time to, for example, sit down X hours per week and learn spanish, you aren't going to get very far trying to learn programming.

Just like in foreign spoken language, every word is esoteric and has a level of complication to it until you learn it.

That said, I recommend the Learning (Perl|Ruby|Python) books from Orielly. If you can read through that and do the exercises without cheating, then you have definitely learned to program.

Have fun!

trwww

brooksbp
July 31st, 2007, 07:52 PM
I highly recommend Python or Ruby. Lisp if you're feeling philosophical...

You will be welcomed with open arms in the Ubuntu community if you're using Python, Perl, or Ruby...

LaRoza
July 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Python, Perl, and Ruby (in that order) are good for what you want.

http://laroza.pbwiki.com, my wiki, has a lot of useful, FREE, tutorials and books you can use.

stil
July 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thank guys. Seems like a unanimous decision!

pmasiar
July 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM
my wiki (in sig) has more resources :-D and free online book good for beginners

LaRoza
July 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
my wiki (in sig) has more resources :-D and free online book good for beginners

For Python, pmasiar's wiki is best, my wiki has other languages too, and mine is newer, and still under development.

(I made my wiki because of pmasiar, thanks, best thing since sliced...lists?)