PDA

View Full Version : Amarok 2.0 progress

mostwanted
July 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Amarok 2.0 is looking good. There's an update on the latest additions:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Amarok_2_0_sneak_peak

The UI has not been prettified yet as is evident from looking at the screenshot, however you can definitely see where they're going. Please digg the story so it reaches the masses too :)

stmiller
July 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Looks great. Anyone know the status of daap support?

FuturePilot
July 31st, 2007, 08:24 PM
Wow! That looks great. I like the album art thing that's going on there.

maagimies
July 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
I like Amarok but that screenshot looks quite cluttered.
Well, I'll either get used to it, or I can change it.

Anyway, one can't really tell from a screenshot, you have to actually use the program to see if you like it.

igknighted
July 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
Wow! That looks great. I like the album art thing that's going on there.

Thats a little blatently stolen from the iphone/apple isn't it? I mean it looks slick, but theres no usability added so its hard to argue convergant evolution. I'll wait to see it in action for sure. For the record, I have bashed that album thing mericilessly on my friend's iphone as the most pointless feature ever (most people don't even update their album art covers... so it'd mostly be blanks really), so I have to say the same for this one.

Oh yeah, is there any pre-release versions of this we can download and test? I don't think it came with my KDE4 alpha release...

stmiller
July 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Oh yeah, is there any pre-release versions of this we can download and test? I don't think it came with my KDE4 alpha release...

Right here, but has a lot of KDE4 and QT4 dependencies.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:SVN

tbroderick
July 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Non-Digg link for people who avoid Digg like the Plague (http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/456-Sneak-peak,-pretty-playlist,-raw-plasma.html)

Incense
July 31st, 2007, 10:30 PM
I don't understand the obsession with coverflow. I guess if anyone can make it functional though, Amarok could do it. It does look a bit cluttered, but it is pretty.

Spike-X
July 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Are we going to be able to transfer album art along with tracks when transferring music to iPod?

hanzomon4
August 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM
I don't understand the obsession with coverflow. I guess if anyone can make it functional though, Amarok could do it. It does look a bit cluttered, but it is pretty.

The obsession is pretty, and cool looking, neat...

Andrewie
August 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
it looks very nice, and the windows port is already coming along so I'm even happier. The only thing I don't like is the playlist, I want that to be in the middle. Its going to be a easy change I'm guessing so I guess I continue my count down to oct.

Dimitriid
August 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM
Am I the only one who hates the "iTunes" and "Windows Media Player" look? I much rather have the old "winamp" look ( xmms and audacious, BMP but now is gone to that imho huge, ugly and intrusive "new" look too )

Extreme Coder
August 1st, 2007, 04:29 AM
Am I the only one who hates the "iTunes" and "Windows Media Player" look? I much rather have the old "winamp" look ( xmms and audacious, BMP but now is gone to that imho huge, ugly and intrusive "new" look too )
*waves with hand*
Well, I don't exactly 'hate' it, but I haven't found about something like XMMS for KDE. Would be nice if I saw something like that.. :)

ghindo
August 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM
Looks great. Anyone know the status of daap support?I was wondering that too. It'd be nice to be able to see other peoples' music libraries too, instead of them just goin' through yours.

mrgnash
August 1st, 2007, 06:05 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the point of Digg? Would it not simply be better to link to the article in question?

Looks very promising anyway. But I'll be sticking with Exaile/Songbird until someone ports a GTK version :P

Espreon
August 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM
The screenshot looks great! can't wait 4 it!

mostwanted
August 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the point of Digg? Would it not simply be better to link to the article in question?

Looks very promising anyway. But I'll be sticking with Exaile/Songbird until someone ports a GTK version :P

I was trying to get the article on the front page too. Seems like it managed to do that :)

igknighted
August 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM

The problem is that qt is more advanced than GTK at the moment. You would loose some of the pizaz if you switched to GTK. The biggest stopping point is that Amarok itself is mainly a front end for the KDE audio playback subsystems (Phonon is the core in the new version, IIRC). You need these core KDE subsystems to use amarok, which basically means you need all the KDE libraries. Unless you had compatible gnome equivelents, it wouldn't be Amarok for GTK, it would be an Amarok-like shell over a completely different media player.

Nimaran
December 29th, 2007, 11:10 PM

I know I'll use that feature. I used it a lot back when I used Windows and iTunes. I'm glad their incorporating it here.

Oh and will that beta mentioned earlier work with Gnome yet?

BOBSONATOR
December 29th, 2007, 11:43 PM
nice, i kant wait until kde4 and this come out, its going to be my first kde setup!

Spike-X
December 30th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Are we going to be able to transfer album art along with tracks when transferring music to iPod?

Never mind, I see this has already been fixed with...what's the latest version? 1.4.8 or something?