PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question to the masses... (reselling computers and putting Ubuntu on them)

hiway
July 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM
I am a self employed computer technician. I provide residential and simple commercial support for basic users. I also work as an "E-Cycler" with a local company.

My question is this:

Does this community find any ethical issues or concerns with taking older systems recovered from large companies that have been decommissioned and loading Ubuntu onto them and offering to the public at a drastically reduced price and pointing them to this forum?

If I were a more unsavory sort, I wouldn't mention it, but I believe in what is being done with this software, and I would never want to tarnish the spirit of this community.

Uriel2006
July 31st, 2007, 05:41 PM
I am a self employed computer technician. I provide residential and simple commercial support for basic users. I also work as an "E-Cycler" with a local company.

My question is this:

Does this community find any ethical issues or concerns with taking older systems recovered from large companies that have been decommissioned and loading Ubuntu onto them and offering to the public at a drastically reduced price and pointing them to this forum?

IMHO less new hardware = less industry process = less pollution.

That's fine.

If hardware becomes your property in some way, why you should no?

Uriel

drascus
July 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah I don't see a problem with it at all. Why do you think there is a ethical problem in charging for your service??? I think it is perfectly fine. It is free as in freedom not as in gratis. The Ubuntu program itself is free gratis to all. However if you are performing a valuable service there is no reason why you shouldn't get paid for that work. Good luck!!!

aysiu
July 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I believe there are already companies like this, except that they don't offer the systems to the public at a drastically reduced rate. I believe they just give the computers away.

Here's one, for example:
Alameda County Computer Resource Center (http://www.accrc.org/)

They take old computers people and organizations donate for recycling, load Ubuntu or SuSE on the systems, and then give them to schools, charities, non-profits, or low-income individuals. If the parts can't be salvaged, they're melted down and recycled.

balleyne
July 31st, 2007, 06:19 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. If you hesitation is with selling the machines, here's what the Free Software Foundation says about selling: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

You're charging for the hardware and for the service you're providing anyways, not for the software.

aysiu
July 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oh, the only ethical question that comes up is--do the companies that you're getting the computers from know you're selling the systems for money afterwards? If they're cool with that, you're cool. The software you can definitely sell.

smoker
July 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM
i don't see any problem, especially if people who can't afford a new computer can now get one, good luck to you.

az
July 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM

In Montreal, there are dozens of such used computer stores. Typically, lots of used computers are sold *by the pound* and these companies sift through them, restoring the system that are worthwhile and extracting the metal from the others. The metal is then resold for scrap.

What could possibly be unethical about this?

Panganat
July 31st, 2007, 07:48 PM
if you are getting the hardware for free. i am sure you are incurring some overhead to install/:recondition" :)which justifies some some profit. to clear your conscience donate some $ or your expertise to some charity or youth club........

hiway
July 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
In Montreal, there are dozens of such used computer stores. Typically, lots of used computers are sold *by the pound* and these companies sift through them, restoring the system that are worthwhile and extracting the metal from the others. The metal is then resold for scrap.

What could possibly be unethical about this?

I used this quote, even though almost every one should be up here, because this is my exact situation... We buy hardware by the pound, diassemble and part out whats salvagable, and rebuild or frankenstein systems from what we can. I have had such success with the Ubuntu OS, I wanted to share it with the world!

I am finding that people can't afford to keep up with the planned obselescence that is so prevailant in this industry. Add to that the fact that most folks just want to surf the internet, and it really is a no brainer to use a free OS and an older system that the mainstream manufacturers label as a dinosaur.

I am very glad that this community finds no fault, and that my instincts are on the same page as the rest of you. Our company plans on donating a percentage of the systems to local organizations who would see them into the hands of those who would need them. I also would love to see more exposure in the mainstream with this OS (Ubuntu) as I feel the more people who use it, the more acceptance will be generated obviously.

Thank you all so much for the support, the links, and the approval- as funny as it sounds, I needed it before continuing with this endeavor.

You all rock, and penquins roll.... hopefully right the you know what over microslut, 'er, soft.

Depressed Man
July 31st, 2007, 09:49 PM
It depends. As long as you don't lie about what it can and can't do. As well as don't overcharge them for it. Then I think it's fine. Even good since it's helping to recycle parts that would otherwise be trashed. And to be honest, most people who surf the internet, read emails, or do whatever really don't need dual core systems with 1+ GB of RAM and what not. Well unless your running Windows Vista on there. :confused:

speedemonspecv
July 31st, 2007, 09:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with this practice, no, it is one of the best things you could do for the growth of Ubuntu! The more people that know and use it on a daily basis that would have otherwise gone to Microsoft or Apple, the better.

Neo0351
July 31st, 2007, 11:56 PM
I think it's a great idea as long as you're not out for huge profits. You guys are putting time and I'm sure some money into it and like everyone else said, you should be paid for your time. And that's good that you guys are going to be donating systems too. I attend a community college and I know of many people who can't afford these new PC's that are coming out and then buying Microsoft Office so they can do research and type papers. An old Ubuntu ,or any easy-to-use Linux based system would work great for them and best of all, they could afford it without having to take out a loan. And like everyone else has stated, you're recycling computers. These computers aren't bad, they just can't run the GREAT WINDOWS :roll: