PDA

View Full Version : Spam from the future

jgrabham
July 31st, 2007, 05:13 PM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7349/screenshot3xb6.th.png (http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot3xb6.png)

Look at the date!!

Rocket2DMn
July 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Man, where will we be in 2038? I guess we'll be using Ubuntu version 45.04.

FuturePilot
July 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM
:lolflag: What teh heck?

Ubuntu 45.04 :o Wonder what it will be called.

aks44
July 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Man, where will we be in 2038? I guess we'll be using Ubuntu version 45.04.

You mean 38.04, right? :p

matthew
July 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM
Look at the date!!Odd.

Man, where will we be in 2038? I guess we'll be using Ubuntu version 45.04.If it's April, 38.04. If it's October, 38.10.

The version numbering system for Ubuntu is year.month of release. Feisty, 7.04, was released in April 2007.

:)

%hMa@?b<C
is your system clock off or is that just from the email. Also, is that a transparent panel, or is the background that lime-green?

myoungf1
LOL now it seems spam can time travel

jgrabham
July 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
is your system clock off or is that just from the email. Also, is that a transparent panel, or is the background that lime-green?

Nope, clocks fine

No, not a transparent panel, I just like to visually impair anyone who uses my computer.

Turboaaa2001
July 31st, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'm a person who never dismisses the impossible. For example, if someone told me they were abducted by Aliens I could not tell them they are lying because I could not prove they are wrong.

I would like to see the body of the message if possible. The other thing, what if at that point in time data storage and/or transfer somehow moved at the "speed of time" or interacted with it. By pure coincidence the data ended up intact on a server here and was sent out.

It goes along with my theory that "ghosts" are the appearance of physical objects where time and space intersect. Meaning that these disturbances allow the partial interaction with someone or something from another time. So it could be a person, animal, light, a gust of wind, or binary data from 2038.

BTW I would be 58 on April 07 2038. :guitar: Assuming I live that long with my eating habits. HHHMMMM, nachos.

Rocket2DMn
July 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
You mean 38.04, right? :p

Ah yes, it's a Tuesday morning and I just finished my final exam for micro-processor design class yesterday. Do forgive me.

jgrabham
July 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm a person who never dismisses the impossible. For example, if someone told me they were abducted by Aliens I could not tell them they are lying because I could not prove they are wrong.

I would like to see the body of the message if possible. The other thing, what if at that point in time data storage and/or transfer somehow moved at the "speed of time" or interacted with it. By pure coincidence the data ended up intact on a server here and was sent out.

It goes along with my theory that "ghosts" are the appearance of physical objects where time and space intersect. Meaning that these disturbances allow the partial interaction with someone or something from another time. So it could be a person, animal, light, a gust of wind, or binary data from 2038.

BTW I would be 58 on April 07 2038. :guitar: Assuming I live that long with my eating habits. HHHMMMM, nachos.

Or the clock on the servers playing up, whatever you want to believe!

Anyway -

Subject - Register for FREE at http://v3 .izymail. com
From-Izymail system message <system@izymail. com>
To-This Account <this@acoutn.is.invalid>

+======================================+
| Please do not reply. Info & support: |
| http://www. izymail. com |
+======================================+

Dear prospective user of IzyMail,

Your email application has just queried the IzyMail system and requested
to download messages for your account. However, it was determined that
your email address is not registered with IzyMail and the system cannot
proceed.

You may have used the server name 'pop3hot.com' which is an earlier,
obsolete name for the same service.

IzyMail requires a FREE registration before it enables access to your
account. Registration is free of charge and the online registration
form is available at

http://v3. izymail. com/register .aspx

We thank you for your confidence in IzyMail and hope to see you back
very soon.

We hope you found this information helpful,
Have a very pleasant day,

the IzyMail support team

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This automated notification is not unsolicited. It is created in response to
a download request from your email application and informs you that the
application has actively contacted the IzyMail system and attempted to
download messages for your account.

If you do not wish to use IzyMail and wish to stop all notifications
immediately, please remove the respective account profile definition from
your email application.

Note: The IzyMail support team cannot stop or prohibit connection attempts
from applications on your computer and will not answer related requests.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I didnt sign up for an acount, because I dont have a clue what Izymail is!

Turboaaa2001
July 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Im a geek, what did you expect? STAR TREK ROCKS :lolflag:

Rocket2DMn
July 31st, 2007, 06:39 PM

Agreed. Live long and prosper!

jgrabham
July 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM

Fair enough, but you dont get much geekier than my sig!

Billy_McBong
July 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
my spam email gets emails from the future too
anyone know how they do it?

Rocket2DMn
July 31st, 2007, 06:52 PM
my spam email gets emails from the future too
anyone know how they do it?

They hacked the space-time continuum. We'll get Scotty working on that one.
Beam me up!

DarkDancer
July 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM
From the IzyMail website:

IzyMail enables you to access webmail from major providers such as AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, Windows Live, Fastmail or Gmail with any eMail application.

Whether you want to use Gmail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Evolution, iPhone, Palm PDA, Pocket PC, Smartphone or other applications, whether you want to automate eMail processing with rules or use advanced anti-virus or spam protection, IzyMail provides the technology you need.

Somehow I doubt IzyMail will exist in 2038, But man I would like to see Ubuntu, or the children it has spawned.... ;):lolflag:

Espreon
July 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hmm, either the clock on the spam server is frigged upped or the days of tomorrow is coming sooner than we think. This reminds me of that episode of Southpark where Cartman got trapped in the 2200s (or something like that) and there is a phone used for crank calling that can make crank calls to the past.

FuturePilot
July 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Maybe the sender's clock was off or the email server's clock was off.:confused:

popch
July 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
Those messages are simply 'malformed'. As has been suggested, this could be due to wrongly set clocks in some client or server. But then, is aroudn 2038 not the next point in time where many clocks and calendar programs will fail to reckon time because of an overflowing number format? In that case, the sender could have set the date in those mails to -1 or something.

In any event, if you look at the headers of the mail, you will see that that strange date has been mailed from the outside and is not produced by your mail client.

Evolution is not responsible for everything.

FuturePilot
July 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes 2038 is supposed to be the next Y2K. Scary?:-?

lisati
July 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
They hacked the space-time continuum. We'll get Scotty working on that one.
Beam me up!

I think Scotty got stuck in a transporter loop somewhere.....we'll have to wait for the TNG team to find him and get him out. If he objects, we might have to visit Crane, Poole and Schmidt.

Turboaaa2001
July 31st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Wouldn't time travel of any kind be illegal at that point? The only safe way of traveling is going forward. Assuming that our future has already happened, of course if we are truly at the forefront of time then moving forward would be anarchy since the decisions made here would keep changing the time you visit.

But the most obvious answer is that the server is off. As far as the next Y2K, I'm not worried at all.

A good example is back on 12 AM 2000. The WORST that would happen is satellites would try to position themselves were the earth was in 1900.

The other thing is our missiles would not launch. In fact the system, if designed to, would think it was under digital attack and shutdown everything to prevent launches. On the flip side other nations might have programed their systems to launch at pre-determined targets because it would think it was under digital attack.

The next "Y2K" will be a simple "patch" and the worst case is computers will overload themselvse.

Scotty couldn't fix any of this if he wanted to. He is an engineer that relies on the computer to do most of the work. He only worked on the physical side of things. Now O'Brian from TNG and DS9 can do complex programing, and Data could too.:KS

lisati
July 31st, 2007, 09:22 PM
One of the things that caused me nasal discomfort ("got up my nose") with the Y2K hype at the time was the implication that my microwave would malfunction or planes would fall out of the sky, supposedly because some fool engineer somewhere made the critical safety features dependent on the date. Why the **** does designing a failsafe system need to include a date-dependent function?

smoker
July 31st, 2007, 10:00 PM
can you ask them for some past lottery numbers, say from the year 2008, please :-)

jkblacker
July 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've had spam from way back when, possibly dates like 1970 I think. Isn't it one way the spammers get around filters or something, but fudging the dates?

popch
July 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Y2K hype at the time was the implication that my microwave would malfunction or planes would fall out of the sky, supposedly because some fool engineer somewhere made the critical safety features dependent on the date. Why the **** does designing a failsafe system need to include a date-dependent function?

(1){ fool engineer } is not an empty set
(2) a system for the safety of air traffic works in the time domain. E.g., it computes the speed of an aircraft by dividing the difference of locality between to RADAR observation by the difference in time. If you don't go and have a look, you have no way of knowing if the time data used for that purpose includes the date as well. All is well if not.

There have been accidents for sillier reasons, such as the European Ariane rocket which had to be exploded in mid-air because some software modules of the guidance system could not agree on the number format and the rocket threatened to steer itself toward inhabited regions.

Hugo Galvão
August 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, just like popch and FuturePilot noted, weird coincidence...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
http://www.2038bug.com/

Turboaaa2001
August 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm so going to have a Windows XP 32bit, Vista 32bit, and several Linux and BSD distros running at the same time right before that date when I'm 58 years old.

Well hopefully the mole men will wait to strike at the humans of the over world until after this date.:guitar:

dabugas
August 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
:lolflag: What teh heck?

Ubuntu 45.04 :o Wonder what it will be called.

Zesty Zebra :)

Dark Star
August 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
No no Horny Human :lol::p

kostkon
August 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
My theory is that maybe it's a trick from the spammer to make the emails appear first in the inbox list. Most of the users order their emails chronologically, so it's a good way of making emails stand out easily.

popch
August 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
My theory is that maybe it's a trick from the spammer to make the emails appear first in the inbox list. Most of the users order their emails chronologically, so it's a good way of making emails stand out easily.

In my case, that backfires. I have the most recent mails on top. The oldest ones are on page 3 or thereabouts.

likemindead
August 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I've used the same GMail address for nearly 4 years now and I still only get, at most, maybe a dozen spam emails a week. But they do seem to be from the present, I think. :) :confused: