July 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Gnome..

Milk & Toast & Honey
July 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Gnome.

Freddy
July 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm Enlightened.

Gnome, KDE and XFCE are not window managers, they all uses window managers but are not themselfs.

M$LOL
July 31st, 2007, 10:24 PM
Metacity :P

But where's Beryl?

tico
July 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Here's a confusion: Window Manager (e.g. Enlightenment) and Desktop Environment (KDE, Gnome XFCE) are different things. I simply love XFCE as Desktop Environment. Don't like KDE and can use Gnome, but don't "love" it (well, I like it).

WastingBody
July 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM
I've only tried Gnome and KDE and so far Gnome is my favorite.

tbroderick
July 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM
dwm

Malh
July 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM
so far i've tried gnome and kde but gnome is my favorite

bonzodog
July 31st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Openbox is what I like to use.

fyllekajan
August 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM
What a lame attempt at starting a GNOME vs KDE flame war, not even knowing what a window manager is.

ynnhoj
August 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
dwm
i decided to try dwm today, and it's great. i've been using wmii on and off for a while -- it's pretty great too -- but, wow, dwm is considerably better.

hanzomon4
August 1st, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well I use compiz in Gnome, but for a standalone WM I prefer Icewm.

fyllekajan
August 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
i decided to try dwm today, and it's great. i've been using wmii on and off for a while -- it's pretty great too -- but, wow, dwm is considerably better.
And from reading various boards it also seems to make it's users feel more l33t :)

ynnhoj
August 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM
And from reading various boards it also seems to make it's users feel more l33t :)
i'm not really feeling that sort of affect (though you're right; the dwm user-base is kinda elitist). i just think it's a really sharp tiling window manager. and the simplicity of it is nice.

w4tch0
August 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM
4 out of 6 choices in your poll ARE NOT a WM (Window Manager) but a DE (Desktop Enviroment)....

On a side note i use openbox ... as a drop-in replacement for metacity in gnome.

lisati
August 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
In the interests of throwing in a distraction, what about GEM?

AndyCooll
August 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, been caught out with this before. What you are really asking is which "desktop environment do you choose".

For me it's GNOME, for which the Window Manager is Metacity.

:cool:

thelinux_guy
August 1st, 2007, 01:33 AM
Don't you mean Desktop Environment?

Anyway, I recently switched from KDE ( PCLinuxOS ) To Gnome ( Ubuntu )

But I plan to switch back to KDE once version 4.0 is released :cool:

fyllekajan
August 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
i'm not really feeling that sort of affect (though you're right; the dwm user-base is kinda elitist). i just think it's a really sharp tiling window manager. and the simplicity of it is nice.

Agreed. No doubt it's a great window manager.. just read some peoples posts about it on other forums and couldn't resist making a joke about it.

init1
August 1st, 2007, 01:55 AM
It comes down to this ubuntu users.
Which window manager would you use?
If I had to choose one of those it would be ion3

tehhaxorr
August 1st, 2007, 02:45 AM
:S Gnome and KDE aren't window managers, they're Desktop Environments.

If you wanted to list Window Managers you should put down Kwin and Metacity e.t.c

So if you're asking which Desktop Environment i prefer, the answer is KDE.

If you're asking which window manager i prefer the answer is Compiz.

Rhapsody
August 1st, 2007, 03:50 AM
I kinda like the idea behind Ion, but after watching the man behind it lose all of his dignity (http://archlinux.org/pipermail/tur-users/2007-April/date.html#4634) in a huge, multi-part rant about trademark infringements, the decline of Linux, his intentions to switch to FreeBSD or Windows XP, nastiness of the 'FOSS herd', swearing off writing a single more line of free code after the completion of Ion3, and the evils of non-bitmap fonts.

It really is worth taking the time to read it.

init1
August 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
I kinda like the idea behind Ion, but after watching the man behind it lose all of his dignity (http://archlinux.org/pipermail/tur-users/2007-April/date.html#4634) in a huge, multi-part rant about trademark infringements, the decline of Linux, his intentions to switch to FreeBSD or Windows XP, nastiness of the 'FOSS herd', swearing off writing a single more line of free code after the completion of Ion3, and the evils of non-bitmap fonts.

Dang, I guess DWM is the way to go then.
http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm

tbroderick
August 1st, 2007, 04:01 AM

I don't know what that has to do with anything.

jf/
August 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM
dwm
correct me if i'm wrong, but... seems like dwm only does 1 standard mode of window management across all workspaces? ie. if u change from tiling to float in 1 workspace, the rest of the workspaces will convert to float as well... This is different from wmii, where each workspace has its own (and keeps its own) mode.

RaiD_5
August 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
as an environment i prefer KDE

Happy_Man
August 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I prefer KDE for my desktop environment, with Kwin for the usual stuff, but if I'm bored or showing off I switch to Compiz Fusion.

tbroderick
August 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but... seems like dwm only does 1 standard mode of window management across all workspaces? ie. if u change from tiling to float in 1 workspace, the rest of the workspaces will convert to float as well... This is different from wmii, where each workspace has its own (and keeps its own) mode.

Yes, but you set float/tile and tag per application in the config.h. The example config.h has gimp, acroread and mplayer open as float on the current tag (NULL), but will keep the layout tile for any apps you open. You can add whatever you want.

{ "Firefox.*", "2", False}, \
{ "Pidgin.*", "3", True }, \

This will load firefox on tag "2" no matter which tag I'm currently on and will be in tile layout. When I open pidgin, it will open on tag "3" as float. If I switched to tag "3" and opened two terminals, the terminals will be tiled and pidgin will remain as float. Use "NULL" if you want the application to open on the current tag.

fuscia
August 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
i've been going back and forth between openbox and kde, lately. i never use gnome (no right-click menu and unscrollable desktops make it unusable to me).

Oldster
August 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM
IceWM here. :)

HermanAB
August 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
My favourite desktop system is KDE, mainly because of Konqueror with its powerful IO-slaves. However, I like Xfce because it is slick and faaaaassssst!

The only really annoying problem with Xfce is the disappearing panels bug, but I fix that with a tar ball of the .config directory so I can untar that when the panels go poof.

j1mmy-1
August 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Gnome,only because it was installed by default, and now i've got used to using it no point changing what works.

init1
August 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM
£337? |\|0, Ð3ƒ1|\|47£¥ |\|07. :D

init1
August 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Gnome,only because it was installed by default, and now i've got used to using it no point changing what works.
I felt the same way, until my mouse stopped working in Gnome and I couldn't do anything. When that happens in Evilwm, I have no problem. I just run links2.

jf/
August 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Yes, but you set float/tile and tag per application in the config.h. The example config.h has gimp, acroread and mplayer open as float on the current tag (NULL), but will keep the layout tile for any apps you open. You can add whatever you want.

:) thanks!!! Sounds cool, and will definitely make me reconsider dwm again...

RedSquirrel
August 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM
Fluxbox

samjh
August 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM
Gnome, but only because it is best supported by Ubuntu.

If Kubuntu was as polished as Ubuntu, I'd go for KDE.

toupeiro
August 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM
I am all about gnome and recently moved from beryl-svn with emerald to compiz-fusion. Lovin' it too!

KDE feels too ... MS-GUI'ish to me...

GFree678
August 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Gnome + Fusion.

WishingWell
August 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Kwin with KDE.

I've used most of the window managers out there but i keep coming back to KDE, i can make it look like any other WM anyway, if i would want to do that, i prefer Konqueror to Firefox or Epiphany, Kontakt to Evolution, Amarok to all the horrid music players in Gnome and Kmplayer using mplayer plays anything i could possibly want to play, even half downloaded files if i want to check quality and content before it's fully downloaded, Ktorrent kicks anything Gnome has to offer too.

It's my opinion though, take it for whatever it's worth. :)